ISSN 0004-2803 printed
Scope and policy
The journal Arquivos de Gastroenterologia (Archives of Gastroenterology) a quarterly journal is the Official Publication of the Instituto Brasileiro de Estudos e Pesquisas de Gastroenterologia - IBEPEGE (Brazilian Institute for Studies and Research in Gastroenterology), Colégio Brasileiro de Cirurgia Digestiva - CBCD (Brazilian College of Digestive Surgery) and of the Sociedade Brasileira de Motilidade Digestiva - SBMD (Brazilian Digestive Motility Society), is dedicated to the publishing of scientific papers by national and foreign researchers who are in agreement with the aim of the journal as well as with its editorial polices. Scientific papers sent for publication should be unpublished and intended exclusively for Arquivos de Gastroenterologia.
Preparation of manuscripts
The text must be in English language, original, unpublished, as well as ensure uniqueness to Archives of Gastroenterology, and the author sends rationale about any eventuality. Case reports will be not accepted. Revision articles only by editor´s invite or Editorial Board decision.
The number of authors is limited to six (6) for Original Articles and three (3) for Brief Communication. Do not insert positions or similar adjectives. Exceptions can be made in the case of multi centric studies.
It is necessary to state whether there is a conflict of interests or not. If so, sponsors must be declared. All matter related to human research and animal research must have prior approval by the Commission of Ethics in Research of the institution where the work was performed, in accordance with the recommendations of the Declaration of Helsinki, the international standards of protection of animals and the resolution nº 196/96 of the National Health Council on research involving humans. http://conselho.saude.gov.br/resolucoes/reso_96.htm . It is necessary to make available the number of this Protocol.
The name of the section to which the article is intended for should be mentioned on the page, as well as identifying the type of study (prospective, retrospective, etc). Sections – Original article on Endoscopy, or Surgery, or Hepatology, or Digestive Motility, or Clinical Gastroenterology, or Experimental Surgery, or Pediatric Gastroenterology, or Gastroenterological Clinical Pathology, or Nutrition.
It is recommended a cover letter with the name of the institution, authors and the intention in publish on the Archives of Gastroenterology, highlighting the importance of this publication and research.
Papers for publication should be submitted in Microsoft Word format. Do not insert tables or figures along the text. They must be attached in the proper place. Each manuscript submitted to Archives of Gastroenterology should be arranged as follows:
1) Title; (in English and Portuguese); for foreign authors the translation will be done.
2) Author(s) name(s); do not insert staff positions or similar adjectives. For each author should be described his participation in the study. (e.g. data collection, survey execution, writing of text, statistical analysis and so on).
3) The department and institution where the work was performed.
4) The name, telephone number, electronic address and postal correspondence address of author to whom galley proofs and requests for reprints should be sent.
5) Acknowledgement of grants and other financial support. Interest of conflicts must be declared or not if so.
6) Structured Abstract (Context, Objectives, Method, Results, and Conclusions) - The papers should be sent in English and Portuguese (200 words at least); abbreviations, footnotes and references should be avoided; for foreign authors the translation will be done. If greater than 200 words the Abstract could be also attached in proper place, in Word format.
7) Headings (3 to 10). Whenever possible, use terms of Medical Subject Headings (MESH) list from MEDLINE. http://www.nlm.nih.gov/mesh/meshhome.html
8) We strongly recommend this paper division: a) Introduction; b) Literature; c) Material; d) Method; e) Results; f) Discussion; g) Conclusions.
9) References - Arranged in alphabetical order of author's last name. Abbreviations of journals should conform to those used in INDEX MEDICUS. The references are identified in the text by Arabic numerals in parenthesis. The style of the references follow the format of the “Vancouver style": Uniform requirements for manuscripts submitted to biomedical journals of the International Committee of Medical Journal Editors (ICMJE), complete text in: Ann Intern Med 1997;126:36-47; N Eng J Med 1991;324:424-8 or in Canadian Medical Association site: http://www.cma.ca/index.cfm/ci_id/8451/la_id/1.htm
Guidelines are available in: http://www.nlm.nih.gov/bsd/uniform_requirements.html
Journal article (list all authors, maximum 6 or use the first and "et al."): Ribeiro Jr U, Cecconello, Safatle-Ribeiro AV, Zilberstein B, Pinotti HW. Squamous cell carcinoma of the esophagus and multiple primary tumors of the upper aerodigestive tract. Arq Gastroenterol. 1999;36:195-200.
Books and other monographs (list all authors/editors and do not use "et al."): Castell DO, Richter JE, editors. The esophagus. 3. ed. Philadelphia: Lippincott Williams & Wilkins; 1999.
Chapter in a book (list all authors and do not use "et al."): Cohen RV, Roll S, Schaffa TD. Hernioplastia incisional videolaparoscópica. Rio de Janeiro: Reichmann & Affonso; 1999. p. 127-31.
Dissertations and thesis: Cecconello. Contribuição ao conhecimento e histopatologia do colédoco. [Dissertation]. São Paulo: Instituto Brasileiro de Estudos e Pesquisas de Gastroenterologia - IBEPEGE; 1979.
Published proceedings paper (list all authors, maximum 6 or use the first and "et al."): Nasi A, Cenatti A, Falcão A, Cecconello, Sallum RAA, Pinotti HW. Evaluation of lower esophageal sphincter pressure by two variant techniques in patents with endoscopic reflux esophagitis [abstract]. In: Meeting abstracts of the Esophagus '98: 7th World Congress of the International Society for Diseases of the Esophagus; 1998; Montreal, Canada. Can J Gastroenterol 1998;12Suppl.B:93B.[Abstract 278].
10) Tables (in MS Word or Excel format) - Number tables in Arabic numbers and supply a legend for each. Explanatory matter should be placed in footnotes as well as nonstandard abbreviation that are used.
11) Figures - Photographs, graphics and drawings must be sent in digital high resolution format. Photos could be in color and the editors will decide about their publication in color or not. Each illustration must have a number and a little text about it.12) Tables, graphs, and other illustrations made in programs such as Excel and others must be submitted preferably attached with the article.
Instructions for electronic manuscript submission
Submissions only through the ScholarOne interface, on SciELO Portal:http://mc04.manuscriptcentral.com/ag-scielo
[Home] [About this journal] [Editorial board] [Subscription]
All the content of the journal, except where otherwise noted, is licensed under a Creative Commons License
IBEPEGE, CBCD e SBMD, FBG, SBH, SOBED
Rua Dr. Seng, 320
01331-020 São Paulo SP
Tel./Fax: +55 11 3147-6227