Scope and Policy
The publication of articles depend on the observance of the Editorial Norms and on the evaluation from the Editorial Board and/or ad hoc referees. All evaluations are confidential and impartial; authors and members of the Editorial Board and/or ad hoc referees do not share information.
Manuscripts Form and Presentation
1. The concepts and conclusions included in articles are of the entire responsibility of the authors.
2. “Ciência e Agrotecnologia” is a journal edited once every two months by UFLA’s Publishing House (Editora UFLA) of Federal University of Lavras (Brazil). It publishes scientific articles in the areas of Agricultural Science, Food Science and Technology, Economics and Administration of the Agrobusiness, Rural Engineering, Veterinary and Animal Science, elaborated by researchers of the national and international scientific community. Submission of a ma- nuscript to this journal requires that it has neither been published nor is under consideration for publication elsewhere. Upon acceptance for publication, authors assign to the Editors full copyright of the manuscript in all languages and countries. Publications will depend on editorial rules and on the review of experts and an ad hoc commissions. The reviewer and editorial opinions will be anonymously communicated to the authors.
3. Cost of publication: the cost for publication is US$15.00 (fifteen dollars) per edited page (printed page in the final format) up to six pages and US$30.00 (thirty dollars) for every additional page. A non-refundable, US$ 40.00 (forty dollars) fee must be paid at submission which will be discounted from the final edited article cost (final format). At submission, the receipt of the bank deposit or money transfer (payable to FUNDECC/Livraria, Banco do Brasil, Agency 0364-6; Account number 75.353-X) must be sent attached in the field “Transference of Supplementary Documents”.
4. Manuscripts submitted for publication must be submitted electronically (www.editora.ufla.br), written in English, and use only conventional abbreviations and nomenclature with no abbreviations in the title. Articles must be edited using the program Microsoft Word for Windows (version 98, 2000, 2003 or XP) on paper size A4 (21 cm x 29.7cm), double spaced using font Times New Roman, size 12, with a 2.5 cm margin on both left and right hand side, and on upper and lower margins, heading and footnote. The manuscript must not exceed a maximum of 20 pages and along with it must be sent a letter to the Editor requesting its publication. All authors must the submission letter for publica- tion, containing each author’s full name with no abbreviations, title degree and work address (number, street, zip code, P. O. Box, city, state, country and e-mail). At submission, this document must be attached in the field “Transference of Supplementary Documents”. Any insertion, exclusion or alteration in the authors order must be transmitted by a document signed by all authors (including the excluded author, if the case).
5. Each manuscript must be organized in the following format: a) TITLE (capital letters) sufficiently clear; conspicuous and complete, without abbreviations and superfluous words, written in English and Portuguese. It is recommended to begin with the term that represents the most important aspect, with other terms in decreasing of importance; b) FULL NAME(S) OFTHEAUTHOR(S) (without abbreviations) on the right side with one name beneath the former. The manuscript must have a maximum of 6 (six) authors; c) ABSTRACT must be written continuously in one paragraph and it must not exceed 250 words. At a minimum, it must contain a brief introduction, objective and results, d) INDEX TERMS with 3 to 5 keywords that express the content of the article and different from those used in the title and separated by commas; e) RESUMO (abstract translated to Portuguese); f) TERMOS PARA INDEXAÇÃO (index terms translated to Portuguese); g) INTRODUCTION (including literature review and objectives); h) MATERIAL AND METHODS; i) RESULTS AND DISCUSSION (it may include tables and figures); j) CONCLUSIONS; k) ACKNOWLEDGEMENTS (optional); l) REFERENCES (without citations of thesis, dissertation, and abstracts).
6. FOOTNOTE: It must contain title degree (MS, PhD, Dr, etc), institution of work with the complete address (street, number, zip code, P. O. Box, city, state, country) and e-mail of the corresponding author.
7. ACKNOWLEDGEMENTS: Acknowledgements to people and/or institutions may be included at the end of the text prior References section. The written style must be serious and clear, indicating the reasons for the acknowled- gements made.
8. TABLES AND FIGURES: Must contain a clear and concise title, being explanatory. Tables should not contain vertical lines. Horizontal lines must separate title from the presented data and at the bottom of the table. Tables should be made on Microsoft Word (Table - Insert Table), in which the each data should be inserted in a single cell, being also centralized.
9. PHOTOGRAPHS, GRAPHS, FIGURES, SYMBOLS OR FORMULAS CONTAINED IN THEARTICLE SHOULD FOLLOW THE RULES BELOW:
The figures listed above must be both inserted after their citation in the text and also sent in separate files attached to the SUPLEMENTARY DOCUMENTS field.
9.1. Photographs may be in color or black and white, clear and with contrast, inserted in the text after their citation and also in a separate file saved in extension “TIFF” or “JPEG” with resolution of 300 dpi. Press copies will only publish photographs in black and white.
9.2. Figures may be in color or black and white, clear and with contrast, inserted in the text after their citation and also in a separate file, saved in extension “TIFF” or “JPEG” with resolution of 300 dpi. They must be described using Times New Roman font, size 10, without bold, without a text box and arranged in order. Press copies will only publish figures in black and white.
9.3. Graphs must be inserted in the text after their citation. Graphs must be described preferentially in Excel, using Times New Roman font, size 10, without bold, saved in XLS extension and transformed into TIFF or JPG files with a resolution of 300 dpi.
9.4. Symbols and Chemical Formula must be presented using a word processor that permits a formatting for on
10. CITATION IN THE TEXT BY THE ALPHABETIC SYSTEM (AUTHOR-DATE)
Two authors: Davis and Jones (2010).
11. REFERENCES: All references and their correct citation in the text are the responsibility of the author(s). General information:
EXAMPLES (MOST COMMON TYPES).
-More than three authors:
b) Book chapter with specific authors:
c) Book chapter without specific authors:
DISSERTATION AND THESIS:
ABSTRACTS PUBLISHED IN CONGRESSES OR OTHER EVENTS:
a) COMPLETE BOOK:
b) PART OF A BOOK
c) JOURNAL ARTICLE (ONLINE ACCESS):
12. Publication process: submitted manuscripts will be forwarded to the editorial board to be initially evaluated in terms of comparative relevance to other articles of the same knowledge area that were submitted for publication. If it is con- sidered as relevant, the article will be submitted to peer and blind reviewers. Approved by them, if necessary, the article may return to the correspondent author for corrections. If the corrections are not returned within the required deadline, the publication process will be automatically canceled. Requested corrections not attended without justification may also lead to cancellation. After these revisions, the article will receive corrections of scientific nomenclature, English, references and Portuguese (Resumo). Following these corrections, the article will be edited and published.
[Home] [About the journal] [Editorial board] [Subscriptions]
All the content of the journal, except where otherwise noted, is licensed under a Creative Commons License
Caixa Postal 3037, Campus Histórico
37200-000 Lavras - MG - Brasil
Tel.: +55 35 3829-1115
Fax: +55 35 3829-1532