Aim and editorial policy
1. The scope of CIÊNCIA RURAL is to publish original articles (full papers), short notes and reviews. Manuscripts should be submitted exclusively to CIÊNCIA RURAL.
Preparation of originals
2. Full paper should not contain more than 15 typed pages, reviews 20 pages, short notes should contain at most eight pages. Use double spacing throughout the text, including the Abstract and References. The pages should be numbered consecutively, beginning from the title page. The size of the print paper should be A4 210 x 297mm containing no more than 25 lines per page. The font Times New Roman 12 should be used.
3. Full papers should contain the following sections: Title, Abstract and Key words in English and Portuguese; Introduction (containing the respective Literature review); Material and Methods; Results, Discussion and Conclusions; Acknowledgements; Paper presentation; Sources and Manufactures. The sections results and Discussion; or Results, Discussion and Conclusions may be combined. Bioethics and Biossecurity Committee Approval are required when human or animals are involved. When genetically modified organisms are involved the approval is also needed. Should be stated before the reference section (Paper example).
4. Review Articles should contain the sections: Title, Abstract and Key words in English and Portuguese; Introduction; Text; Conclusion; Acknowledgements; Sources and Manufactures when necessary. Bioethics and Biossecurity Committee Approval are required when human or animals are involved. When genetically modified organisms are involved the approval is also needed. Should be written before the reference section (Paper example).
5. Short notes should contain: Title, Abstract and Key words in
English and Portuguese; Text (without subdivision in sections, but ordered
accordingly in introduction, methodology, results, discussion; conclusion)
Acknowledgements; Sources and Manufactures when necessary. Bioethics and
Biossecurity Committee Approval are required when human or animals are
involved. When genetically modified organisms are involved the approval
is also needed. Should be writtten before the reference section. The text
may also include tables and figures (Paper
6. No reprints will be supplied to authors. The articles are free at www.scielo.br/cr.
7. Describe the title in english and portuguese. Only the first letter of the tittle should be in capital lettter except for official names. Do not use abreviations in the title. Scientific names should be used in the title only when strictly necessary.Please use them as key words and in the other sections of the paper. Full name(s) of the authors should be written below the title, side to side, followed by number (roman numbers in superscript). These numbers which will indicate, when repeated at the bottom of the page, the affiliation and corresponding address, etc. The corresponding author be indicated and should be accompanied by full address, including the e-mail, when available.
8. Within the text, the References should be cited as follows: a. MASON (1964) observed... b. The average cited by ZONTINI & UNO (1986) was similar... c. PRESNEL et al. (1973) indicated... d. ...the congenital malformation (MOULTON, 1978).
9. The Reference List should be placed at the end of the manuscript; the references should be ordered alphabetically. Please follow the following examples:
9.1. Book References:
BARHAM, J.N. Mechanical kinesiology. Saint Louis : Mosby, 1978.
9.2. Chapter in a book:
GORBAMAN, A. A comparative pathology of thyroid. In: HAZARD, J.B.; SMITH, D.E. The thyroid. Baltimore : Willians & Wilkins, 1964. Chap. 2. p.32-48.
9.3. Chapter without authorship in a book:
COCHRAN, W.G. The stimulation of sample size. In: ______. Sampling
techniques. 3.ed. New York : John Willey, 1977. Chap. 4, p.72-90.
9.4. Standard Journal Article
When possible the author should add the URL to the reference and the number of identification DOI (Digital Object Identifier) as the example below:
MEWIS, I.; ULRICHS, CH. Action of amorphous diatomaceous earth against
different stages of the stored product pests Tribolium confusum
(Coleoptera: Tenebrionidae), Tenebrio molitor (Coleoptera:
Tenebrionidae), Sitophilus granarius (Coleoptera: Curculionidae)
and Plodia interpunctella (Lepidoptera: Pyralidae). Journal
of Stored Product Research, Amsterdam (City optional), v.37, p.153-164,
2001. Available from: <http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/S0022-474X(00)00016-3>.
Accessed: nov. 20, 2008. doi: 10.1016/S0022-474X(00)00016-3.
9.5. Theses, dissertations...
MOSCARDI, G. Control of Anticarsia gemmatalis Hübner on soybean with a baculovirus and selected inseticides and their effect on natural epizootics of the entomogenous fungus Nomuraea rileyi (Farlow) samson. 1977. 68f. Dissertation/Thesis (Master/PhD in Biological control and integrated pest management) - Course of Entomology, University of Florida.
ROGIK, F.A. Indústria da lactose. São Paulo: Departamento de Produção Animal, 1942. 20p. Boletim Técnico, 20.
9.7. Non-published paper (should be avoided when possible): Read after the text, e.g.: Comparative study about the effect of differents sutures in the trachea anastomosis of dogs. Sheila Canevese Rahal autorship (in preparation).
9.8. Personal Communication (should be avoided when possible): Information in the text is identified by (Personal Communication) after the statement: e.g. ...described by Johnston (1980) (Personal Communication).
9.9. Electronic documents:
MATERA, J.M. Afecções cirúrgicas da coluna vertebral: análise sobre as possibilidades do tratamento cirúrgico. São Paulo : Departamento de Cirurgia, FMVZ-USP, 1997. CD-Rom.
GRIFON, D.M. Artroscopic diagnosis of elbow displasia. In: WORLD SMALL ANIMAL VETERINARY CONGRESS, 31., 2006, Prague, Czech Republic. Proceedings… Prague: WSAVA, 2006. p.630-636. Capturado em 12 fev. 2007. Online. Disponível em: http://www.ivis.org/proceedings/wsava/2006/lecture22/Griffon1.pdf?LA=1
UFRGS. Transgênicos. Zero Hora Digital, Porto Alegre, 23 mar. 2000. Especiais. Capturado em 23 mar. 2000. Online. Disponível na Internet: http://www.zh.com.br/especial/ index.htm.
ONGPHIPHADHANAKUL, B. Prevention of postmenopausal bone loss by low and conventional doses of calcitriol or conjugated equine estrogen. Maturitas, (Ireland), v.34, n.2, p.179-184, Feb 15, 2000. Obtido via base de dados MEDLINE. 1994-2000. 23 mar. 2000. Online. Disponível na Internet http://www. medscape.com/server-java/MedlineSearchForm.
MARCHIONATTI, A.; PIPPI, N.L. Análise comparativa entre duas técnicas de recuperação de úlcera de córnea não infectada em nível de estroma médio. In: SEMINARIO LATINOAMERICANO DE CIRUGIA VETERINARIA, 3, 1997. Corrientes, Argentina. Anais... Corrientes : Facultad de Ciencias Veterinarias - UNNE, 1997. Disquete. 1 disquete de 31/2. Para uso em PC.
10. Illustrations, graphs, photographs will be named Figures; identified by arabic numerals (Figure 1, Figure 2, etc...). Each figure will be considered as a full page. Graphs and illustration should measure 7.5 or 16cm width. The figures may also be sent digitized in .tiff with at least 300 dpi. Tables should be identified with the word Table, ordered by Roman numerals, and cannot exceed one page should appear after the reference section. However separated.
11. The authors are responsible for all the statement and concepts contained in the article.
12. Submission requires metadata for all authors. The papers will not proceed for evaluation before the data is not provided. Exceptionally other forms can be used. Please contact Ciência Rural for additional information.
13. Tramitation and page charges - Ciência Rural charges R$ 60,00 for paper tramitation and R$ 85,00 for each printed page published. Color plates are R$ 480,00 per page. The payments can be made at the Banco do Brasil, agency number 1484-2, account 250945-8 due FATEC - Project 96945. Payments can also be made by using VISA credit cards . The payment for page charges should only be made at the time the authors return the galley proofs. The check or receipt of each payment should be always enclosed at the right moment.
14. Articles will be published according to the order of approval.
15. that are not recommended for publication will be archived. However there will be sent a message for the authors explaining why the paper was not approved.
16. Articles that are not approved will be returned to the author.
17. Doubts can be solved by examining a previous issue of the Ciência Rural before contacting the Editorial Committee.
[Home] [About this journal] [Editorial board] [Subscription]
All the content of the journal, except where otherwise noted, is licensed under a Creative Commons License
Universidade Federal de Santa Maria
Centro de Ciências Rurais
97105-900 Santa Maria RS Brasil
Tel.:: +55 55 3220-8698
Fax: +55 55 3220-8695