ISSN 1679-4508 printed version
Scope and Policy
Original papers may be submitted in English and/or Portuguese. After approval by the Editors, submitted papers are sent to two reviewers for analysis and assessment. Anonymity is assured during the entire judging process. The comments are sent to the authors so that they may modify the text or give reasons for not altering it. The papers are sent for publication only after the final approval by reviewers and editors. The authors are solely responsible for the concepts provided in the articles.
Einstein (São Paulo) adopts the Turnitin system to identify plagiarism.
Articles accepted for publication become property of the journal.
Form and preparation of manuscripts
The journal Einstein (São Paulo) has the following sections: Original Articles, Health Economics and Management, Case Report, Review, Reviewing Basic Sciences, Learning by Images, Medical Developments, Letters to the Editor and Agenda.
ORIGINAL ARTICLE -Designed to report results of scientific studies. The article must be original and unpublished and it must contain the following items: Abstract in Portuguese and English, Introduction, Methods, Results, Discussion, Conclusion and References. It must have at most 3,000 words and up to 30 references.
HEALTH ECONOMICS AND MANAGEMENT - Designed to report knowledge that expresses concepts and reflects on effective practices in management, administration and economy in health. It must have at most 3,000 words up to 30 references.
CASE REPORT - Reporting cases of a certain medical condition, particularly rare situations, describing its aspects, history, management, etc., including a brief literature review, case description and discussion. It must have at most 1,000 words and up to 10 references.
REVIEW - Review articles, including critical and systematic review of the literature on a given subject; it must describe the procedures used, the topic and its limits, conclusions and references. The text must have at most 2,500 words and up to 40 references.
REVIEWING BASIC SCIENCES -It includes review articles on basic science topics with relevant clinical impact. It must have at most 2,000 words and 30 references.
LEARNING BY IMAGES - A typical patognomonic image, be it an US, CT, X-ray, MRI, surgical photograph, microscopy, clinical sign image, etc., followed by a short explanatory text, with at most 300 words and 10 references.
MEDICAL DEVELOPMENTS - Designed for publication of diagnostic and/or therapeutic novelties currently applied to different areas. This section discusses developments that are already in use. The text is free and must have at most 1,000 words and 10 references.
LETTERS TO THE EDITOR - The purpose is to comment on or discuss papers published in the journal or to report ongoing original research, scientific findings, etc. It must have a maximum of 150 words and 5 references.
The first page should contain:
a) the title of the article, in Portuguese and English, which should be concise but informative;
b) abbreviated title with 40 characters;
c) Authors full name, academic degree and institutional affiliations. In case of more affiliations, provide them in sequence;
d) Department and Institution to which the work should be attributed;
e) the name, address, fax number and e-mail of the author responsible for correspondence;
f) funding, if any;
g) The disclosure of conflict of interests by each author.
The second page should contain:
a) Structured abstract and keywords: abstract in Portuguese and English with a maximum of 250 words containing Objective, Methods, Results, Conclusions, and briefly describing the main parts of the work highlighting the most relevant data. Case Report, Reviews and Medical Developments do not require a structured abstract. After the abstract, specify at least 5 and at most 10 keywords that reflect the content of the paper. Keywords must be based on DeCS (Descriptors in Health Sciences) published by Bireme that is a translation of MeSH (Medical Subject Headings) from the National Library of Medicine available at http://decs.bvs.br. Following the abstract, indicate, for clinical trials, the registration number in a clinical trials base (http://clinicaltrials.gov)*.
The third page should contain:
• Text: it must comply with the structure required for each category. In all article categories, any citation of authors in the text must be numbered consecutively in Arabic numerals in parentheses and superscript.
• Acknowledgements: they include collaborations that deserve acknowledging but do not justify authorship; acknowledgements for financial and/or technical support, etc. must be presented in a separate page after the text.
• References: they must be numbered consecutively, in the same order they appear in the text and be identified by Arabic numerals. References follow the “Vancouver Style”, as shown in the examples below. Journals' names should be abbreviated according to journals list in Index Medicus from the National Library of Medicine and available at http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/journals/loftext_noprov.html
• Tables: print out each table (at most 4) with double spacing. They must be numbered consecutively using Arabic numerals, in the order they appear in the text. All tables must contain the title and heading for all columns. Tables footnotes should have the definition of abbreviations and statistical tests used.
• Figures (charts, photographs, and illustrations): figures must be presented as mentioned in the text (at most 4). When saved in digital files use the format .jpg or .tif with a 300-dpi resolution. If illustrations used have already been published, a written permission for reproduction must be provided by the author/editor, and the source should be acknowledge in the legend.
• Legends: print out the legends for illustrations using double spacing. Each legend must be numbered in Arabic numerals corresponding to each illustration and in the order they are mentioned in the text.• Abbreviations and Acronyms: the full term for which abbreviations and acronyms stand for should precede their first use in the text. In table and figure legends, they must be followed by the full term. Do not use abbreviation or acronyms in the title or abstract.
Send of the manuscripts
The manuscript must be submitted through our submission system at http://apps.einstein.br/revista
There are no fees for submission and evaluation of articles.
[Home] [About the journal] [Editorial board] [Subscriptions]
All the content of the journal, except where otherwise noted, is licensed under a Creative Commons License
Instituto Israelita de Ensino e Pesquisa Albert Einstein
Avenida Albert Einstein, 627/701
CEP: 05651-901, São Paulo - SP, Brasil
Tel.: (11) 2151-0904