ISSN 0073-4721 versión
Scope and editorial policy
Edited by the Museu de Ciências Naturais da Fundação Zoobotânica, the journal Iheringia, Série Zoologia, focuses on publishing original papers on Zoology, emphasizing in taxonomy and systematics, morphology, natural history, and community or population ecology of recent Neotropical fauna. Scientific notes will not be accepted for publication. Usually, lists of species which do not include taxonomical contributions or are not resultant from ecological or natural history studies will not be accepted; the same applies for identification keys to taxa defined by political regions. In order to avoid any kind of unnecessary trouble, we highly recommend authors to contact the Editorial Board before submission. Also, papers with a main focus on Agronomy, Veterinary, Zootechnics or other applied zoology areas will not be accepted. Submitted manuscripts which do not comply with the journal’s guidelines will be filed away before being evaluated by the Editorial Board and the Advisory Board.
Manuscript Submission Instructions
1. Manuscript submission shall be made through the website: http://www.scielo.br/isz
2. Manuscripts will be analysed by, at least, two reviewers. The paper’s approval by the Editorial Board will be based on the scientific content, the advisors’ opinions, and the compliance with the journal’s guidelines. Major changes to the original manuscript may be asked of the authors.
3. The authors are responsible for the scientific content and correct grammar of the manuscript.
4. The manuscripts shall be written in portuguese, english or spanish, in A4 printing format (font: “Times New Roman”) with, at most, 30 numbered pages (including figures) and double space between lines. The publishing of bigger manuscripts may be discussed with the Editorial Board.
5. Papers should contain the following topics: title; author’s names (only complete name and surname are needed, middle names preferably abbreviated); complete addresses, with respective e-mails; abstract and keywords (maximum of 5) in english; resumo and palavras-chave (maximum of 5) in portuguese or spanish (only when the manuscript is not written in english); introduction; material and methods; results; discussion; acknowledgements and references. Keywords shall not overlap with those present in the titles.
6. Do not include footnotes.
7. For generic and specific names use italic and, when first cited through the text, include author’s name and the year when they were described. Latin expressions should also be in italic.
8. Cite the institutions that funded the research and where specimens used in the study will be deposited, the latter preferably with infrastructure and tradition in maintaining scientifc collections.
9. Citations must be in SMALL CAPITALS throughout the text, such as in the following examples: BERTCHINGER & THOMÉ (1987); BRYANT, 1915; HOLME et al. (1988).
10. References must be in alphabetical and chronological order, with authors’ names in SMALL CAPITALS. Provide the complete list of authors (do not abbreviate with “et al.”) and complete journal names. Left edge needs a 0.6 cm displacement from the margin. Citations of abstracts and unpublished studies will not be accepted.
BERTCHINGER, R. B. E. & THOMÉ, J. W. 1987. Contribuição à caracterização de Phyllocaulis soleiformis (Orbigny, 1835) (Gastropoda, Veronicellidae). Revista Brasileira de Zoologia 4(3):215-223.
BRYANT, J. P. 1915. Woody plant-mammals interactions. In: rosenthal, G. A. & BeremBaum, M. R. eds. Herbivores: their interactions with secondary plants metabolites. San Diego, Academic. v.2, p.344-365.
HOLME, N. A.; BARNES, M. H. G.; IWERSON, C. W. R.; LUTKEN, B. M. & MCINTYRE, A. D. 1988. Methods for the study of marine mammals. Oxford, Blackwell Scientific. 527p.
PLATNICK, N. I. 2002. The world spider catalog, version 3.0. American Museum of Natural History. Available at: <http://research.amnh.org/entomology/spiders/catalog81-87/index. html>. Accessed on: 10 May 2002.
11. Illustrations (drawings, photographs, graphs and maps) are treated as figures, sequentially numbered in arabic numerals and disposed following a rigorous criterion of space economy (page matter size = 16.5 x 24 cm; column matter size = 8 x 24 cm). The Editorial Board reserves the right to make changes in the plates and/or of requesting new image dispositions from the authors. Legends should be self-explanatory. Use of colour illustrations may result into additional cost to be covered by the authors; thus, we highly suggest the authors to consult the Editor-in-chief in advance. Figures shall be of high-quality and submitted only by digital means (see item 16).
12. Tables must be: flexible, so as to allow them to be adjusted to one (8 cm) or two columns (16.5 cm) wide; numbered in roman numerals; and have a concise and self-explanatory title. Do not use bold, except when needed (e.g. results from statistical tests).
13. Figures and tables must not be inserted into the body of the text, they must only be cited (indicated).
14. Examined material lists must be disposed from North to South and from West to East. Institutions acronyms should have a preferably maximum of 4 letters, following the template shown below.
VENEZUELA, Sucre: San Antonio del Golfe (Rio Claro, 5°57’N, 74°51’W, 430 m), 5♀, 8.VI.1942, S. Karpinski col. (MNHN 2547). PANAMA, Chiriqui: Bugaba (Volcan de Chiriquí), 3♂, 3♀, 24.VI.1901, Champion col. (BMNH 1091). BRAZIL, Goiás: Jataí (Fazenda Aceiro), 3♂, 15.XI.1915, C. Bueno col. (MZSP); Paraná: Curitiba, ♀, 10.XII.1925, F. Silveira col. (MNRJ); Rio Grande do Sul: São Francisco de Paula (Fazenda Kraeff, Mata com Araucária, 28°30’S, 52°29’W, 915 m), 5♂, 17.XI.1943, S. Carvalho col. (MCNZ 2147).
15. It is highly recommend to consult previously published articles in Iheringia, Série Zoologia, to verify the correct formatting.
16. Send the text file in Microsoft Word (*.doc) or in “Rich Text” (*.rtf). For plate submission, please use Bitmap TIFF (*.tif) files with minimum resolution of 300 dpi (original photographs) or 600 dpi (line drawing). Send images in independent files (not inserted into MS Word, MS PowerPoint or others), with self-explanatory names (e.g. figure01.tif). Graphs and tables must be inserted into separate files (Microsoft Excel for graphs and Microsoft Word or Excel for tables). For vector files use Corel Draw formatting (*.cdr).
17. Each author shall be provided one copy of the volume in which his or her paper was published. All papers will also be available at the Scientific Electronic Library Online, SciELO/Brasil, www.scielo.br/isz.
There is no fee for submission and review articles.
[Home] [About the journal] [Editorial board] [Subscriptions]
All the content of the journal, except where otherwise noted, is licensed under a Creative Commons License
Museu de Ciências Naturais
Fundação Zoobotânica do Rio Grande do Sul
Rua Dr. Salvador França, 1427, Jardim Botânico
90690-000 - Porto Alegre - RS - Brasil
Tel.:+55 51 33202039