Jornal Brasileiro de Patologia e Medicina Laboratorial (JBPML), a continuation of Jornal Brasileiro de Patologia, which is published bimonthly (February, April, June, August, October and December), is an official organ of Sociedade Brasileira de Patologia Clínica/Medicina Laboratorial (SBPC/ML), Sociedade Brasileira de Patologia (SBP) and Sociedade Brasileira de Citopatologia, indexed at Literatura Latino-Americana e do Caribe em Ciências da Saúde (LILACS), at Periódica and at Chemical Abstracts. It is also a member of the Scientific Electronic Library Online (ScieELO) database. It is aimed at the publication of scientific papers that contribute to the development of Laboratory Medicine and it accepts the following text categories: original, review, and experimental articles; case reports, brief communications and etters to the editor. The papers may be submitted in Portuguese, English or Spanish.
Analysis of the articles
The received manuscript will be sent to at least two independent evaluators, well-known scientific pairs with expertise in the area discussed in the article. After their analysis, the chief editor of JBPML will contact the main author to inform the steps to be followed for publication or its ultimate rejection.
The authors must send a term of responsibility formally stating the authorship
of the text and the copyright transfer.
Studies carried out with human beings, including organs and/or isolated
tissues as well as clinical records, must be according to the standards
196/96 of the National Health Council (http://www.bioetica.ufrgs.br/res19696.htm).
Papers to be published shall be accompanied by the ethics committee certificate
from the institution where research has been carried out, in accordance
with the Helsinki Declaration, 1989 (http://www.bioetica.ufrgs.br/helsin4.htm).
Abstracts and key words
Regardless of the language in which the article was written, there must
be two abstracts: one in Portuguese and another one in English. The abstracts
must identify the objectives, procedures and conclusions of the research
(maximum of 250 words for original, review and update articles; and maximum
of 100 words for case reports and brief communications). If the article
is in Spanish, there should also be an abstract in Spanish.
They must be brief, objective and directed to the person or institution that contributed considerably to the elaboration of the research. They must be included after the conclusion and before the bibliographic references.
Structure of the text
Letters to the Editor
Bibliographic references must appear at the end of the article in numbered
alphabetical order. They must follow the standards of Associação
Brasileira de Normas Técnicas (ABNT) - NBR-6023 (August 2000).
The journal titles must be referred in the abbreviated form according
to Index Medicus (List of Journals Indexed in Index Medicus). If the references
do not follow the adopted standards, the articles will be immediately
rejected without content review.
Tables and images
The tables must be numbered consecutively in Arabic numbers and headed
with a title. The same data should not be repeated. The tables should
follow the standards of tabular presentation established by the National
council of Statistics and published by Fundação Instituto
Brasileiro de Geografia e Estatística (IBGE, 1993).
Abbreviations and medicine names
The abbreviations must be indicated in the text. Use the generic name
of medicines and indicate the source of substances not available for prescription.
Contact with JBPML
Sociedade Brasileira de Patologia Clínica/Medicina Laboratorial
How to submit an article to JBPML
How to submit an article to JBPML
2. If you have already registered, type your login and password and click
on "Enter SGP".
3. First step: in the field "Inform your e-mail" register the
e-mail that will be used to receive news and information about SGP.
4. Second step: fill in the registration fields.
5. You will return to the initial page of SGP with login and password.
6. On the initial page of SGP there is a message informing you this is the first time you access the system. Otherwise, the message will inform you how many times you accessed the system, date, time of your last access and if you have access with author status.
7. Observe the menu on the left side of the screen. If you have not submitted any articles to SGP, all the items of the menu will be indicated with a "Zero".
8. To submit an article, click on "Submit new article to Jornal Brasileiro de Patologia e Medicina Laboratorial".9. Window "Step 1": inform the classification of your article (manuscript):
10. Window "Step 2": include the images and/or graphs used
in the article. All images and/or graphs must be in one of the following
formats: jpg, gif, png, pdf or tif.
11. In this window the author can check the images he sent and send more
of them. If he had not sent any images, the message "No image has
been sent" will appear.
12. Window "Step 3": insert/edit/exclude new co-authors. For
each new co-author, the fields "Name", "Title, "Position"
and optionally "ID card" (for subsequent Copyright Statement)
must be filled in.
13. Window "Step 4": fill it in with the title of the article
and key words. These pieces of information must be written in the author's
mother-tongue (for example: Portuguese or Spanish) and in English.
14. Window "Step 5": fill it in with the abstract. The author
may also include further information such as the institution, name and
mailing address, and if he has received any financial support grants.
15. Window "Step 6": write the article itself. A text editor
is provided with the necessary commands to formatting.
16. Window "Step 7": Copyright Transfer Statement. Fill in the required fields, print it and send it to SBPC/ML by fax (21) 2205-3386.
17. Window "Step 8": visual format of the article (html or pdf). In this window the author decides if he will submit the article or exclude it and give up on submitting it.
18. Window "Concluded": it shows you have finished the article submission process.
19. You will receive an e-mail stating your article has been submitted to evaluation.
There is no fee for submission and review articles.
[Home] [About the journal] [Editorial Board] [Subscription]
All the content of the journal, except where otherwise noted, is licensed under a Creative Commons License
Rua Dois de Dezembro, 78/909 Catete
22220-040 Rio de Janeiro RJ Brasil
Tel.: +55 21 3077-1400 / 3077-1408
Fax. +55 21 2205-3386