ISSN 1679-6225 printed version
Scope and policy
The manuscript must contain results of original research on freshwater and marine Neotropical fishes, in the areas of Biology, Ecology, Ethology, Physiology, Genetics and Molecular Biology, and Systematics.
Scientific notes are not accepted. The Editor and Area Editors will perform a previous analysis of the submitted manuscript to analyze if its contents are appropriate to publish in Neotropical Ichthyology.
The Journal is open for submissions to all researchers on Neotropical fish fauna. Payment of publishing costs may apply if none of the authors is a member of the Brazilian Society of Ichthyology.
Submission of manuscripts
Manuscripts must be submitted as digital files at http://mc04.manuscriptcentral.com/ni-scielo
With each new manuscript submission, authors must include a cover letter with a statement that it constitutes original research and is not being submitted to other journals.
In multi-authored papers, author responsible for submission must declare in the cover letter that all co-authors are aware and agree with the submission.
All co-authors and respective e-mails must be registered in the appropriate forms along with manuscript submission.
During the submission, indicate the area of Ichthyology (Biochemistry and Physiology, Biology, Ecology, Ethology, Genetics and Molecular Biology, Systematics) to which the manuscript is referable.
During the submission, indicate three possible referees (name, institution, country and e-mail).
Manuscripts that are not formatted according to instructions to authors will be returned to authors.
Manuscripts submitted in poor English will be returned without review. Appropriate use of the English language is a requirement for review and publication.
Form and preparation of manuscripts
Text must be in Word for Windows or rtf files.
Figures and tables must be uploaded separately as individual files.
Do not duplicate information in the text, Figures and Tables. Submit only Figures and Tables that are strictly necessary.
Text must be submitted in English.
Manuscript must contain the following items, in the cited order:
- Title in lower case as follows: “Isbrueckerichthys epakmos, a new species of loricariid catfish from the rio Ribeira de Iguape basin, Brazil (Teleostei: Siluriformes)”.
- Subordinate taxa separated by “:” as follows: “(Siluriformes: Loricariidae)”.
- Only initials in uppercase. Never abbreviate first name.
- Do not use footnote.
- Use superscript numerals1 to identify multiple addresses.
- List full addresses and e-mail of all authors.
- In English.
- In Portuguese or Spanish. It must have the same contents of the Abstract in English.
- Five keywords in English, not repeating title words or expressions.
Material and Methods
In taxonomic papers check also: Neotropical Ichthyology taxonomic contribution style sheet.
- Text pages cannot include headers, footers, or footnotes (except page number), or any paragraph format. Text must be aligned to the left, not fully justified.
- Use Times New Roman font size 12, for submission.
- Do not hyphenate text.
- Use the font “symbol” to represent the following characters: χ μ θ ω ε ρ τ ψ ν ι ο π α σ δ Φ κ λ э ϖ β ν ≡ Θ Ω Σ Δ Ф
- Species, genera and Latin terms (et al., in vitro, in vivo, vs.) must be in italics.
- Latin terms presented between the generic and specific names - cf., aff. (e.g. Hoplias cf. malabaricus) are not in italics.
- Spell full genus name in the beginning of a sentence.
- Do not underline words.
- The following titles must be bold formatted: Introduction, Material and Methods, Results, Discussion, Acknowledgements, Literature Cited.
- List abbreviations used in the text under Material and Methods, except for those in common use (e.g., min, km, mm, kg, m, sec, h, ml, L, g).
- Measurements must use the metric system.
- Manuscripts must contain the institutional acronyms and catalog numbers for voucher specimens.
- Geographic descriptors (rio, igarapé, arroio, córrego) must be in lower case, except when referring to a locality name (e.g. municipality of Arroio dos Ratos, State of Rio Grande do Sul, etc).
- Acknowledgments must be concise and include both first and last names.
- Scientific names should be cited according to the ICZN (1999).
- Authorship is required only in taxonomic papers and at the first reference of a species or genus. Do not include authorship in the abstract and resumo.
- Check spelling, current valid names and authorship of species in the Catalog of fishes at http://research.calacademy.org/research/ichthyology/catalog/fishcatmain.asp
- Tables must be numbered sequentially according to their citation in the text, using the following formats: Table 1, Tables 1-2, Tables 1, 4.
- The word Table and respective number must be bold in legends.
- Tables must be constructed using lines and columns, but not "Tab" or "space".
- Tables cannot contain vertical lines or footnotes. Digital files of tables must be formatted in cells. Digital files of tables with columns separated by "Tab" or "space" will not be accepted.
- Tables and legends must be included at the end of the manuscript, in the following format:
Table 1. Monthly variation of the gonadosomatic index in Diapoma speculiferum....
- Approximate locations where tables should be inserted must be indicated along the margin of the text.
- Figures must be sequentially numbered according to their citation in the text, using the following formats: Fig. 1, Figs. 1-2, Fig. 1a, Figs. 1a-b, Figs. 1a, c.
- The word Fig. and respective number must be bold in legends.
- Figures must be of high quality and definition.
- Text included in graphs and pictures must be of a font size compatible with reductions to page width (175 mm) or column width (85 mm). Graphs will be preferably printed as one column width (85 mm).
- Color photos will be accepted only if necessary and authors may be charged for the cost of printing the color photo, if funds are not available.
- Composed figures must be prepared so as to fit either the page (175 mm) or column width (85 mm).
- Illustrations must include either a scale or reference to the size of the item in the figure legend.
- Never include objects or illustrations in the figure legend. Replace with text (e.g. “black triangle”) or represent its meaning in the figure itself.
- A list of figure legends must be presented at the end of the manuscript file.
- Use the following formats in the text: Eigenmann (1915, 1921) or (Eigenmann, 1915, 1921; Fowler, 1945, 1948) or Eigenmann & Norris (1918) or Eigenmann et al. (1910a, 1910b).
- Do not include abstracts and technical reports in Literature Cited.
- Avoid unnecessary references to thesis or dissertations.
- Never use "Tab" or "space" to format references.
- Literature Cited must be ordered alphabetically. References published by two or more authors must be listed in alphabetic order of the first author, then of second author, and successively.
- Give full Journal names – do not abbreviate.
- Do not use italic or bold for books titles and journals.
- Text citations and Literature Cited must match.
- Use the following formats:
(list full periodic names):
Contact Editor at email@example.com
[Home] [About the journal] [Editorial board] [Subscriptions]
All the content of the journal, except where otherwise noted, is licensed under a Creative Commons License
Departamento de Zoologia - IB
Universidade federal do Rio Grande do Sul
Av. Bento Gonçalves, 9500 - bloco IV - Prédio 43435
91501-970 - Porto Alegre, RS - Brasil