ISSN 2175-3539 on-line version
Scope and policy
The journal Psicologia Escolar e Educacional edited by ABRAPEE - Brazilian Association of School and Educational Psychology - publishes manuscripts relating to the practice, history and issues in Educational Psychology, critical texts, about the academic-scientific production, as well as reports of research in the areas of School and Educational Psychology along with its interface with Education.
There is no fee for submitting and evaluating articles.
The Journal of School and Educational Psychology publishes only original papers. The original papers will be submitted to the evaluation of an editorial board which will keep the author and the evaluator anonymous. The rules to be followed are the APA (American Psychological Association), except in specific situations if there is a need to assure the fulfillment of blind revision per pair, rules of Portuguese language, general rules of ABNT (Brasilian Association of Technical Norms), internal procedures of the journal and operational infra-structure. It will not be published more than one paper for each author or coauthor in each volume (year), although it will be allowed for the authors to submit more than one manuscript.
Types of text to be published
The Journal accepts manuscripts written in English, Portuguese and Spanish in the following categories:
1. Theoretical Studies; Essays - theoretical works and/or revision of literature which question the way of thinking and the traditional practices and that leading to new elaborations (up to 25 pages, double space)
2. Research reports - reports of research conducted, from the qualitative or quantitave types presented in the following sequence: introduction, method, results, discussion and references. The annexes should be presented after the references (from 20 to 25 pages, double space)
3. History and memory - printing or reprinting of rare documents which are relevant to the research and the preservation of the history of School and Educational Psychology, interviews with relevant people in this field of knowledge; memory of events achieved by ABRAPEE.
4. Reports of Professional Practices - presentation of psychological procedures and educational technologies, proposal aiming at a better understanding of psychological and educational problems and/or practices of the school psychologist, experience of the author, presentation of new tool in the field of school psychology and any other suggestion relevant to the area (up to ten pages)
5. Reviews - Evaluation and appreciation of books and collections which are relevant to the area of school psychology (up to five pages)
1 ProcedURE FOR SUbMISSION AND EVALUATION OF THE MANUSCRIPTS
The manuscripts that are adequate to requirements (we have) presented above will go through the following steps of evaluation:
1. Sending to two members of the Editorial Board of the journal or two ad hoc advisors
2. Receiving of the evaluation with recommendation for publication (with or without changes) or rejection. In the case of acceptance, the authors will be informed of the suggestions (copy of the evaluation will be sent to the authors)
3. In case of acceptance for publication, the Editorial Board may introduce small changes in order to standardize, according to the parameters of the journal.
4. The process of evaluation uses the system of blind revision by peers and the identity of the authors and evaluators will be preserved.
5. The Editorial Board takes the final decision about the publication or not of the manuscript.
Partial or total copy (more than 500 words of the text) is authorized, once the source is properly informed.
Form and preparation of manuscripts
Presentation of the Manuscripts
The original manuscriptsmust be submitted online in http://www.scielo.br/pee in double space, font Arial, size 12, observing the number of the pages according to its category. The page should be A4 size, with page borders as follows: 2,5 cm at the top and the bottom, 3 cm for the the right and the left side. The archive must be in .doc.
In case of revising, the new version must be submitted online in http://www.scielo.br/pee. All the documents sent to the journal must be followed by a letter signed by the authors in which they have to explain the aim of submitting the work and, as well, as authorizing the publication of it, should it be approved by the Editorial Board. The authors have to declare that the manuscripts respect the ethic values of research work. The letter should follow this model:
Place and date
To the Editorial Board
Dear Sir or Madam
I am sending you my manuscript entitled________to submit to the Editorial Committee of the Journal of School and Educational Psychology. I believe my work can be fit to the category (specify the type of manuscript)
I (we) declare that the present article was never published and that is not being submitted to any other journal or periodical. I (we) respect all the ethical procedures and we authorize its publication in case it is approved by the committee.
Name(s) and signature(s) of the author(s)
The presentation of works must follow the following steps
1. First page (without the name of the author(s) must inform:
1.1. Title in Portuguese with no more than 12 words.
1.2. Suggestion of title abbreviated with no more than four words.
1.3. Title in English corresponding to the one in Portuguese.
1.4. When is the case, a paragraph acknowledging the financial support.
2. Abstract, in Portuguese:
The abstract must have no more than 150 words. The abstract must be followed by three keywords with the aim of indexing the work. . The author must use the terminology from BVS PSI (http://newpsi.bvs-psi.org.br/cgi-bin/wxis1660.exe/iah/?IsisScript=iah/iah.xis&lang=P&base=TERMINOLOGIA). The words must be precise in order to facilitate the classification of the work.
In case of research report, the abstract must include: description of the problem investigated, characteristic of the sample, method used for the research and the discussion of the work. The abstract of a theoretical work must include considered the topic considered (one sentence), the aim, thesis or investigation under analysis or organizer of the study and sources utilized (for example observation done by the author, literature published and so on).
3. Abstract, in English, according to the text in Portuguese.
The abstract must follow the rules of the Portuguese version and must be followed by three key-words as adequate to Thesaurus of APA.
In all categories of originals, the text must have an organization of easy recognition, marked by a system of titles and subtitles that reflect the organization. In case of research reports, the text must present: introduction, method, results, discussion and references. The notes must be reduced to the minimum and must be at the bottom of the pages (footnotes) , numbered according to the order. The place to insert figures , illustrations, tables and pictures must be indicated in the text. The references will follow the APA rules as we see in the end of this text.
In case of transcription of a whole text, the transcription must be limited by quotations marks. The citations must be followed by the number of the page of the source. A literal quotation with 40 or more words must be presented in a proper block, starting in a new line, indenting five spaces from the border, in the same position of a new paragraph. The font size must be 12 as in the rest of the text.
5. Reference Must be in accordance with the following general rules. Single-author works are referred by year of publication, the older first. Single-author works come before works with more authors, when the last name is the same. Works where the first authors are the same, but the co-authors are different, must be cited by the last name of the co-authors. Works by the same multiple authors must be cited according to date, the oldest work must come first. Woks with the same author and the same date must follow the alphabetical order of the title, disregarding the first word when it is an article or pronoun, except when the very title has indication of the order the year is immediately followed by lower case letters. When repeated, the name of the author should not be substituted by dash or any other sign. List of references must be appropriated to the task of revision and editing – besides simple space of font size 12, normal paragraph indented only in the first line, without displacements of the borders; words should be marked by italic (e.g. italic). Indented paragraphs and italics are reserved to the final phase when editing the article. References - Not exceed the limit of 30.
6. Annexes: should be used only when they contain important information and are vital to the understanding of the work. In other cases they should be avoided.
7. Illustration: including subtitles, one per page, at the end of the work. In order to assure quality of printing the pictures with drawings must be sent in quality to photograph. They must not exceed 8,3 cm wide for simple illustrations and not 17,5 cm for complex illustrations, the author must be careful so that the subtitles are readable.
8. Tables, including titles and notes, one per page, in paper and in computer file. When preparing the table the author must limit its width in 60 characters for simple tables and 125 characters for complex tables which occupy two printed columns. The length of the table should not exceed 55 lines, including the title and the footnotes. For other cases APA must be consulted..
2 Common types of citation in the text
2.1 For multiple authors
1. Two authors
The last names of the authors are explicit in all references by using "and" or "&" according to what we see below:
" The revision done by Guzzo and Witter (1987)" but " the relation of public school psychologist was described based on an exploratory study in the region of Campinas" (Guzzo & Witter, 1987)"
2. From three to five authors
The last name of the authors is explicited in the first citation as above. From the second citation on, only the last name of the first author is explicited, followed by and alii and the year, if it is the first citation of a reference within the same paragraph:
Vendramini, Silva e Cazorla (2000) observe that [first citation of the text]
Vendramini et alii (2000) observe that [citation subsequent, first in the paragraph]
Vendramini e alii. Observe that [omit the year in subsequent citations within the same paragraph]
In the section of References all the names are listed.
3. Six or more authors
In the text, from the first citation, only the last name of the first author is mentioned, followed by and alii, except when the format generates ambiguity, when the solution suggested in the previous item must be observed.
Rosário and alii. (2008).
In the section of references all the names are listed.
Reference of work cited in a secondary source
The paper uses as a source a paper cited in another , without consulting the original paper (for example, a Taylor's study cited by Santos, 1990). In the text, use the following citation:
Taylor (according to Santos, 1990) adds that the evaluation of the understanding of reading...
In the section Reference, inform the secondary source, Santos for example, using the proper format.
Examples of references
1 Paper presented in congress but not published
Serpa, M.N.F. & Santos, A.A.A. (1997, october). Implantação e primeiro ano de funcionamento do Serviço de Orientação ao Estudante. Paper presented in the XI Seminário Nacional das Universidades Brasileiras, Guarulhos - São Paulo.
2. Paper presented in Congress with abstract published in regular publication
Presented as publication in periodicals, adding just after the title the theme of the abstract.
Silva, A.A. &Engelmann, A. (1988). Efficacy test of a course to improve the capacity of correct judgments of face expression of emotions [abstract]. Ciência e Cultura, 40 (7, Suplemento), 927.
3. Paper presented in congress with abstract published in special publication.
The same as publication in book, given details of the event according to the information on the cover.
Todorov, J.C., Souza, D.G. &Bori, C.M. (1992). Escolha e decisão: A teoria da maximização momentânea [Resumo]. Em Sociedade Brasileira de Psicologia (Org.), Resumos de comunicações científicas, XXII Reunião Anual de Psicologia (p. 66). Ribeirão Preto: SBP.
Witter, G.P. (1985). Quem é o psicólogo escolar: Sua atuação prática. [Resumo]. Em Sociedade Brasileira de Psicologia (Org.), XVII Reunião Anual de Psicologia, Resumos (p. 261). Ribeirão Preto: SBP.
4. Unpublished theses or dissertations
Polydoro, S.A.J. (2001). O trancamento de matrícula na trajetória acadêmica do universitário: Condições de saída e de retorno à instituição. Phd. Thesis, Universidade Estadual de Campinas, Campinas-SP.
Solé, I. (1998). Estratégias de leitura. Porto Alegre: Artes Médicas.
6. Chapters of book
Anderson, R.C. & Pearson, P.D. (1984).A schema-theoretic view of basic processes in reading comprehension.In P.D. Pearson, R. Barr, M.L. Kamil& P. Mosenthal (Orgs.) Handbook of reading research (Vol. 1, pp 251-291).New York: Longman.
Pasquali, L. (1996). Teoria da resposta ao item - IRT: uma introdução Em L. Pasquali (Org.), Teoria e métodos de medida em ciências do comportamento (pp. 173-195). Brasília, INEP.
7. Book translated into Portuguese language
Salvador, C.C. (1994). Aprendizagem escolar e construção de conhecimento. (E.O. Dihel, Trad.) Porto Alegre: Artes Médicas. (Trabalho original publicado em 1990)
If the translation into Portuguese language is used as a source, you must cite the translation and inform the year of the publication of the original. In the text, inform the year of publication of the original and the translation: (Salvador, 1990/1994).
8. Article in scientific journal
Kintsch, W. (1994). Text comprehension, memory, and learning. American Psychologist, 49 (4), 294-303.
9.Paper accepted for publication (to come out)
Do not inform the year, the volume or number of pages until the article is not published. Respected the order of the names, this must be the last reference of the author.
Sonawat, R. (to be published). Families in India. Psicologia: Teoria e Pesquisa.
10. Institutional authorship
Conselho Federal de Psicologia (2013). Referências Técnicas para a atuação de psicólogas(os) na Educação Básica. Brasília: CFP.
Submission of manuscripts
The submission of manuscripts for publishing, as well as all necessary correspondence
[Home] [About the journal] [Editorial board] [Subscriptions]
All the content of the journal, except where otherwise noted, is licensed under a Creative Commons License
Rua Aimberê, 2053 – Perdizes
CEP 01258-020 São Paulo – SP - Brasil
Fone/Fax (11) 3862-5359