ISSN 0102-3772 printed
Aim and editorial policy
Types of articles accepted for reviewing by the Journal
The journal Psicologia: Teoria e Pesquisa publishes original articles related to the diverse areas of Psychology and adopts the publication norms of the sixth edition of the publication manual of the American Psychological Association (APA, 2010). The authors who pretend to submit manuscripts to Psicologia: Teoria e Pesquisa should strictly follow the norms described in the APA manual.
In accordance with the norms of the APA, the journal Psicologia: Teoria e Pesquisa accepts manuscripts that fit in one of the following categories:
1. Empirical Studies: Reports of original research with primary or secondary data sources. They typically consist of distinct sections that reflect the stages in the research process and that appear in the following sequence: introduction (development of the problem under investigation, including its historical antecedents, and statement of the purpose of the investigation); method (description of the participants, instruments, materials/equipments and procedures used to conduct the investigation); results (report of the findings and analyses); and discussion (summary, interpretation, and implication of the results). This type of article is limited to 30 pages, including abstract, resumo, figures, tables, and references. The abstract and the resumo have each a word limit of 120 words.†
2. Literature Reviews: Critical evaluations of material that has already been published. In this category also are included research syntheses and meta-analyses. The purpose of this type of article is that the authors integrate, and evaluate previously published material considering the progress of research toward clarifying a problem. The authors are expected to: (a) define and clarify the problem; (b) summarize previous investigations to inform the reader of the state of research; (c) identify relations, contradictions, gaps, and inconsistencies in the literature; and (d) suggest the next step or steps in solving the problem. There is no predefined structure for this type of article, so the authors have to find a coherent format for their text. It is fundamental that the text has an organizing principle: it should not be a mere compilation of previous investigations. This type of article is limited to 30 pages, including abstract, resumo, figures, tables, and references. The abstract and the resumo have each a word limit of 120 words.
3. Theoretical Articles: In theoretical articles, authors draw on existing research literature to advance theory. Authors of theoretical articles are expected to trace the development of theory to expand and refine theoretical constructs or present a new theory or analyze existing theory, pointing out flaws or demonstrating the advantage of one theory over another. In this type of article, authors customarily examine a theoryís internal consistency and external validity. The sections of a theoretical article, like those of a literature review, can vary in order of their content. It is fundamental that there is a propositional element in the text. This type of contribution is limited to 30 pages including abstract, resumo, figures, tables, and references. The abstract and the resumo have each a word limit of 120 words.
4. Methodological Articles: This type of contribution present new methodological approaches, modifications of existing methods, or discussions of quantitative and data analytic approaches to the community of researchers. In this case, the use of empirical data serves only as an illustration of the approach. This type of contribution is limited to 21 pages including abstract, resumo, figures, tables, and references. The abstract and the resumo have each a word limit of 120 words.
After consulting with the editor the following categories of contributions will also be appreciated for publication:
5. Case Studies: This type of contribution contains an analysis of conceptual implications or a description of an intervention procedure or intervention strategy. The inclusion is required of appropriate methodological evidence of interest for the performance of psychologists of the diverse areas. This type of contribution is limited to 21 pages including abstract, resumo, figures, tables, and references. The abstract and the resumo have each a word limit of 80 words.
6. Brief Report: This contribution is a brief but complete report of a specific research study (see the general model defined for empirical studies). This type of contribution is limited to 12 pages including abstract, resumo, figures, tables, and references. The abstract and the resumo have each a word limit of 80 words.
7. Letter to the Editor: A critical evaluation of an article published in the journal Psicologia: Teoria e Pesquisa or a reply of authors to a criticism of their article. This type of contribution is limited to 6 pages. No abstract required.
8. Technical Note: A description of original research instruments and techniques. This type of contribution is limited to 9 pages including abstract, resumo, figures, tables, and references. The abstract and the resumo have each a word limit of 60 words.
9. Book Review: A critical review of a recent published book which provides an orientation to the reader about its characteristics and its potential use. It is fundamental that this is not merely a summary or review of the chapters of the book, but essentially a critical review. This type of contribution is limited to 6 pages, including all its elements. No abstract required.
10. Inform: Publication of a fact or an event related to Psychology. In this case the contribution does not need to be original and exclusive. This type of contribution is limited to 3 pages, including all its elements. No abstract required.
The process of reviewing by the Editorial Board
Manuscripts that fit in one of† the 10 above described categories are accepted for the reviewing process on condition that: (a) the same contribution was not already published nor is being submitted to another journal for publication; (b) all persons listed as authors approve the submission of the manuscript to the journal Psicologia: Teoria e Pesquisa; (c) anyone mentioned as a source of a personal communication has approved the citation; (d) the authors have followed all ethical procedures recommended by the standards adopted by the journal.
The first evaluation of the manuscript is accomplished by the Direction of the journal Psicologia: Teoria e Pesquisa and consists of a thorough analysis whether the manuscript is in accordance with the APA norms, considering especially the following two aspects: the type of contribution (their main characteristics, defined in this document and in the APA manual) and the norms of the APA manual regarding redaction and formatting. The reviewing process will be interrupted in case a manuscript is considered not to have followed the APA norms: the authors will be informed of this decision.
In case the manuscript is in accordance with the APA norms it will be sent for reviewing to the Editorial Board that can make use of ad hoc reviewers. The authors will be notified of the acceptance or rejection of their manuscripts.
Small modifications in the manuscript can be made by the Direction or by the Editorial Board of the journal. When substantial modifications are necessary the author will be notified. In this case the author has to realize the necessary modifications and has to return the modified manuscript before the informed deadline.
1. Articles published in the journal Psicologia: Teoria e Pesquisa.
The copyright of published articles is owned by the journal Psicologia: Teoria e Pesquisa. A complete reproduction of these articles in other publications, or for whatever other utility, is conditioned on a written authorization of the Editor of the journal Psicologia: Teoria e Pesquisa. Persons interested in reproducing the articles of the journal partially (parts that exceed 500 words, tables, figures and other illustrations) need the written authorization of the authors.††
In case a manuscript is accepted for publication, the journal will send the authors a letter to transfer the copyright which will have to be returned in a digital format.
2. Partial reproduction from other publications
Submitted manuscripts containing parts extracted from other publications have to follow the specified limits to guarantee the originality of the submitted contribution. A manuscript that contains a reproduction of one or more figures, tables, drawings and instruments extracted from other publications will only be referred for analysis if it is accompanied by a written permission of the holder of the copyright of the original work to reproduce the specified part in the journal Psicologia: Teoria e Pesquisa. The permission should be addressed to the author of the submitted manuscript. Under no circumstances the journal Psicologia: Teoria e Pesquisa and the authors of the contributions published in this journal will transfer the rights that were obtained in this way. †
Presentation form of the manuscripts
The journal Psicologia: Teoria e Pesquisa adopts integrally the publication norms of the publication manual of the American Psychological Association (6th edition, 2010). The manuscripts should be written in Portuguese, English or Spanish, or in another language to the judgment of the Editorial Board.
The submission of all manuscripts should be realized electronically using the SEER platform with the following internet address: www.revistaptp.unb.br.
When submitting the manuscript the authors have to make an upload in the journalís system of two files in a WORD 2003 or more recent format. The first file is the manuscript, without any type of the authors' identification and containing all necessary elements: title, abbreviated title, resumo (if written in Portuguese Resumo, and if written in Spanish Résumen), abstract, text, references, tables (one on each page) and figures (one on each page). The second file is a cover letter that should contain all of the necessary elements indicated in the APA manual, signed by all the authors of the manuscript. Only if strictly essential for the evaluation of the manuscript additional files should be sent.
The presentation of numeric and statistical information should strictly
follow the recommendations of the APA manual. Manuscripts written in Portuguese
should adopt the normalization of numeric and statistical information
according to recommendations of Carzola, Silva and Vendramini (2009),
which can be accessed for free at the following electronic address:
It should be mentioned that, in case of articles written in Portuguese, eventual inconsistencies between the guidelines of the APA manual and the redaction in Portuguese should be resolved by the authors considering the general redaction rules of the Portuguese language. The formatting of the manuscript and the elaboration of tables, figures and other elements should proceed strictly according to the recommendations of the APA manual. We recommend strongly that authors evaluate, before submission, whether their manuscript is in agreement with the check-list presented on pages 241-243 of the APA manual. It should be noted that not following the APA guidelines in formatting the aforementioned elements can be a motive for rejection of the manuscript by the Direction of the Journal. As a complementary source for authors of information about the APA publication manual the consultation of the following addresses is recommended:†
APA. (2010). Publication manual of the American Psychological Association. Washington, DC: APA.
Carzola, I. M., Silva, C. B. da, & Vendramini, C. M. M. (2009). Normas para a apresentação de informações estatísticas no estilo editorial APA. In A. A. Z. P. Sabadini, M. I. C. Sampaio, & S. H. Koller (Eds.), Publicar em psicologia: Um enfoque para a revista científica (pp. 171-188). São Paulo: Associação Brasileira de Editores Científicos de Psicologia; Instituto de Psicologia da Universidade de São Paulo. Retirado de http://www.ip.usp.br/portal/images/stories/biblioteca/Publicar-em-Psicologia.pdf
[Home] [About this journal] [Editorial board] [Subscription]
All the content of the journal, except where otherwise noted, is licensed under a Creative Commons License
Instituto de Psicologia
Universidade de Brasília
70910-900 Brasília DF
Tel./Fax: +55 61 274-6455