Editorial Line - General Information
The editorial proposal of Psicologia USP meets the contemporary trends of integration and completion present each day in human sciences. This trend takes account the vocation of Psychology to diversity and for the articulation of areas and knowledge. If the human being can be seen as a complex biological machine he is meanwhile a manufacturer of culture and symbols, the creator of history. The journal Psicologia USP has fulfilled the different conceptions expressed by that duplicity, publishing articles that reflect the broad spectrum of current concerns of the researchers without, however, remain absent of the debates more significant that proceed in humanities and biological areas. According to this broader purpose, the journal has been publishing articles of reflection and essays on thematic issues, either in the form of thematic and miscellaneous articles with emphasis on classical topics of Psychology.
Submission of the text
The original shall be sent to the journal Psicologia USP by email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
The manuscript must be followed by a presentation letter where the author makes clear the intention of submission or resubmission of the text to be published. This letter should also 1) inform that the work is unpublished and original; 2) assure that the work was not submitted for publication and neither is under evaluation in other periodical; 3) in the case of searches involving ethical topics add a declaration stating that the work followed strictly the ethical and legal procedures recommended by existing resolutions and that is approved by the Ethics Committee of the Institution, where appropriate; 4) be signed by all authors of the text, in the case of multiple authorship.
The contributions received, approved and published are full responsibility of the signatories.
It will be accepted by the journal contributions presented in Portuguese and Spanish and the articles published will be available at SciELO (www.scielo.br). The article once accepted the author shall undertake to send an English version also to allow access online in this language.
Psicologia USP was supported in the American Psychological Association Manual (APA, 5a edition 2001) as regards the presentation of quotations in the text and references. All the work should be in accordance with the information mentioned below:
The submission of manuscripts should comply with the following sequence:
1. Format: the originals shall be typed in extension ".doc" or ".rtf", source type Times New Roman, body 12, size A4 (21.0 to 29.7 cm), double space, left and right margins of 3 cm, upper and bottom margins of 2,5 cm with approximately 50.000 (fifty thousand) characters including blanks. The page number alignment must be on the right top corner starting with the cover page, except figures and tables that should be attached on separate sheets.
2. Heading page:
2) Full name and institutional affiliation of each author;
3) Address for correspondence (including postcode, telephone and e-mail) of each one of the authors;
4) Information about institutional support, thanks, the origin of the work (presentation in event, derived from dissertation or thesis), institutional linkage and other information ethically necessary.
Acknowledgements have to mention people or institutions that contributed to the preparation of work such as: scientific advice, review of the text, financial support among others. Such cases have to mention the full name of the person or agency of support which has granted the assistance. Work Title in Portuguese, English and French.
3. Heading page without identification: must submit only the title of the work in Portuguese, English, Spanish and French.
4. Abstracts: The originals in the categories "essays" and "report of experience" shall be submitted containing four abstracts: in Portuguese; in English (abstract), in Spanish (resumen) and in French (résumé). It's recommended represent the content of the article with up to 150 words. The versions in English, Spanish and French must be identical to abstract in Portuguese. It should avoid citations, acronyms and abbreviations. The summaries shall appear before the text of the manuscript on separate sheets, soon after the heading page.
Some Latin expressions, such as idem (id.), ibidem (ibid), opus citatum (op. cit.) are not used by the journal.
It is up to author(s) the responsibility of the correct presentation and accuracy of the citations in the text. All the work mentioned in the text should be set out in the references.
- Must be indicated the surname of(s) author(s) followed(s) of the year of publication. Eg. Ades e Botelho (1993) or (Ades & Botelho, 1993).
- Citations with three to five authors are cited all of them at the first time in which they appear in the text; but the next the surname of the first author will be followed by the Latin expression "et al". Eg. Haase, Diniz e Cruz, 1997 or (Haase, Diniz, & Cruz, 1997). In the next citations: Haase et al. (1997) or (Haase et al., 1997). In the references all the authors must be cited.
- Citations with six or more authors, the surname of the first author is followed by the Latin expression "et al.". Eg. Hays et al. (2002). The surname of the six first authors must be indicate in the final list of references and shorten the seventh and the subsequent (if any) using the Latin expression "et al."
- The alphabetical order of the surnames must be followed in citations of several authors and the same idea. Eg. Badaines (1976), Biller (1968, 1969) or (Badaines, 1976; Biller, 1968, 1969).
- Documents with different dates of publication and the same author, the author surname is cited and the years in chronological order publication. Eg. Merleau-Ponty (1942, 1960, 1966).
- Different documents with the same date of publication and the same author, must add small letters after the year of publication. Exemplo: Rogers (1973a, 1973b, 1973c).
- Documents whose author is a collective entity, must be mentioned by the full name of the entity followed by the year of publication. Eg. American Psychological Association (2001).
Citation of former work and reissued
- Indicate the date of original publication followed by the date of the edition consulted. Eg. Freud (1898/1976) or (Freud, 1898/1976).
The literal transcription of a text must appear between double quotation
marks, followed by the author, date and page. Eg. Segundo Freitas (2002)
os "... indivíduos representam a realidade a partir das condições
em que vivem." (p. 75). The literal transcription of a text shall
comply the same used by the author of the document consulted.
Quotation with 40 or more words, display it in a freestanding block of text without the quotation marks, starting in an advanced new line (equivalent to five keys of the keyboard) and ending the margin without retreat.
- Citation of declaration or transcription of interview the statements shall be entered in italics and their form of presentation must follow the approach outlined above (direct quotation).
- Uniform resource locators (URLs) are mentioned between parentheses after the information. Eg. (http://www.bvs-psi.org.br/).
- Consult Citações no Texto e Notas de Rodapé (APA) to see other examples.
- Footnotes should be avoided whenever possible. However, when indicated in the body of text must be indicated with Arabic numerals, immediately after the sentence which they relate. They are presented at the bottom of the same page. The references of authors cited in the text should be recorded at the end of the text and not in footnotes.
7. References: must be presented at the end of the article. They constitute the list "References" in alphabetical order of the author last name. In the case of more than a work of the same author, the references should be arranged in chronological order of publication. See the examples:
American Psychological Association. (2001). Publication Manual of the American Psychological Association (5th ed). Washington, DC: Author.
Bosi, E. (1994). Memória e sociedade: lembranças de velhos (4a ed.). São Paulo: Companhia das Letras.
Chapter of book
Chauí, M. (1998). Notas sobre cultura popular. In P. S. Oliveira (Org.), Metodologia das ciências humanas (pp. 165-182). São Paulo: Hucitec.
Heilman, K. M. (1995). Attention asymmetries. In R. J. Davidson & K. Hugdahl (Eds.), Brain asymmetry. Chap.4: Attention and learning (pp. 217-234). Cambridge, MA: The MIT Press.
Book Chapter with Indication of Original Edition Date
Freud, S. (1977). Histeria. In S. Freud, Edição standard brasileira das obras psicológicas completas de Sigmund Freud (J. Salomão, trad., Vol. 1, pp. 77-102). Rio de Janeiro: Imago. (Trabalho original publicado em 1888).
Tfouni, L. V., & Moraes, J. (2003). A família narrada por crianças e adolescentes de rua: a ficção como suporte do desejo. Psicologia USP, 14(1), 65-84.
Meetings and Symposia
Thiers, V. O., Seabra, A. G., Macedo, E. C., Arbex, S. M., Feitosa, M. D., & Capovilla, F. C. (1993). PCS-Comp: Picture Communication Symbols System: versão computadorizada. In Resumos de Comunicações Científicas, III Congresso Interno do Núcleo de Pesquisa em Neurociências e Comportamento da Universidade de São Paulo (p. 15). São Paulo: Instituto de Ciências Biomédicas da Universidade de São Paulo.
Doctoral dissertations and master theses
Figueiredo, S. M. A. (1991). Estudos piagetianos: uma análise crítica. Dissertação de Mestrado, Instituto Superior de Estudos e Pesquisas Psicossociais, Fundação Getúlio Vargas, Rio de Janeiro.
Granja, E. C. (1995). Produção científica: dissertações e teses do IPUSP (1980/1989). Tese de Doutorado, Instituto de Psicologia, Universidade de São Paulo, São Paulo.
Documents in electronic version
Paiva, G. J. (2000). Dante Moreira Leite: um pioneiro da psicologia social no Brasil. Psicologia USP, 11(2). Recuperado em 12 de março de 2001, da SciELO (Scientific Electronic Library OnLine): http://www.scielo.br
It is responsibility of author(s) the correct presentation and accuracy of the references in the manuscript.
For other examples, we recommend consult the document "Normalization of References (APA)".
8. Tables: must be presented in separate sheets numbered with arabic numerals in order that were mentioned in the work. In the text mark by a serial number the places where the tables should be included. The word "table" must bring a brief title that explains the data in it. When extracted from other work the author shall the complete source where was withdrawn; in this case the author needs send the authorization for its reproduction with the manuscript submitted for publication.
9. Figures: in the presentation of images and illustrations as photographs, drawings, graphic etc, the author shall highlight the places where it shall be alternated. Present images of good quality (photographs, diagrams or drawings) with maximum size of 100x150mm, recalling that could suffer reduction which is why we suggest send preferentially extending TIFF. The original images shall be sent separated from the article. Where the pictures sent have already been published, to mention the source and permission for reproduction.
Evaluation process of the originals
Articles drawn up by Brazilian and foreign experts submitted to Psicologia USP must be in accordance with the editorial policy of the journal taking into account the recommendations contained in the "Instructions to authors" and attend for the periodical not being allowed its simultaneous submission to another journal. The works which do not take account these recommendations shall be returned.
Each work will involve analysis by the Executive Board to assess whether is adjusted to the procedures of texts accepted by the journal and if it follows the bibliographical standards. It is up to the Editorial Council proceeds the evaluation potentially publishable. The work will be submitted to Ad-Hoc reviewers chosen by the Executive Board among specialists in their field. The identities of authors and their institutional affiliations do not be informed to consultants and neither the authors will have knowledge of the identities of consultants. Result from the process three possibilities: acceptance, acceptance subject to reformulation or refusal.
The original approved with recommendations shall be sent to the author and should be returned within 30 days to be re-evaluated. Works approved with recommendations regarding the standardization (citations and references) should return within a maximum of five days. After the acceptance shall not be allowed any change in original by authors. The works rejected shall be returned by posting.
The journal Psicologia USP counts on specialists which seek issue constructive opinions to the work of authors whose content is sent afterwards. However, it is up to the Executive Board the final decision on the publication or not of the original as well as the right to make small changes in the text during the process of edition. The authors will receive ten copies of their article and two issues of the journal.
The copyright of all articles published belong to Psicologia USP. The reproduction total or partial of the articles in other publications requires written authorization by the Executive Board of the journal.
[Home] [About the journal] [Editorial board] [Subscription]
All the content of the journal, except where otherwise noted, is licensed under a Creative Commons License
Revista Psicologia USP
Instituto de Psicologia da Universidade de São Paulo
Av. Prof. Mello Moraes, 1721 - Bloco C (Biblioteca)
Cidade Universitária - Butantã
São Paulo, SP – Brasil