Escope and policy
The CEFAC JOURNAL - Speech, Language, Hearing Sciences and Education Journal (Rev. CEFAC.), ISSN 1982-0216, which is indexed in the LILACS, SciELO, BVS, Sumários.org, Gale, Eletronic Journals Service - Redalyc, ABEC databases, is published every two months in order to register the scientific production on relevant issues for the Speech Therapy in the following areas: Language, Orofacial Motricity, Voice, Audiology, Collective Health, Dysphagia, SLP in schools, Speech Therapy and Related Areas. And also other productions that address the SLP interface with the other educational and health sciences. Only original full papers are accepted for consideration, preferably written in English, but either Portuguese or Spanish are acceptable; they must also not have been published previously, nor be under review by another journal. If approved, the papers in English must be accompanied by a certificate of a specialized company or a translator that will be responsible for the English version. Initially, the submission may be sent in the Portuguese version, but if the article is approved, the English version becomes mandatory. The papers that can be forwarded are: original research articles, review articles, brief communications, case reports and letter to the editor.
During the selection of the articles for publication, the criteria will base on the originality, relevance of the theme and the quality of the scientific methodology applied, as well as compliance with the editorial norms adopted by the Journal. Papers that neither meet the technical requirements nor comply with the standards for publication will not be accepted for review and authors will be duly informed, being able to forward the paper for consideration one more time after the appropriate reformulations were made, receiving a new number of submission.
Every paper, after initial technical evaluation and approval by the Editorial Board, will be forward for analysis and evaluation by at least two referees (peer review) who are known for their subject-matter competency and whose anonymity is guaranteed during the judging process.
Comments will be compiled and sent to the authors so that the suggested changes can be made or justified in case of their conservation. After doing the corrections suggested by the reviewers, the definitive form of the paper and the response letter commenting point by point the observations of the evaluators must be forward again via online submission. Only after the final approval by the reviewers and editors, the authors will be notified of the paper’s acceptance and they will entry the sequence for publication. Unselected papers will receive a refusal notification.
The editorial department of CEFAC Journal reserves the right to make editorial changes when necessary without any change in its content in order to standardize technical terms and presentation of the manuscript. Only the CEFAC Journal can authorize the reproduction of the articles contained therein in other journals. In these cases, the authors should seek permission by writing to CEFAC Journal.
Types of papers
Original research articles: papers for dissemination of new results of scientific research, either quantitative or qualitative; constituting full papers. Its formal structure must present the following topics: Introdução (Introduction), Métodos (Methods), Resultados (Results), Discussão (Discussion), Conclusão (Conclusion) and Referências (References). Maximum of 40 references from 70% of articles published in journals from national and international literature, preferably from the last 5 years. It is recommended the use of subtitles, the mention of clinical implications and limitations of the study, particularly in the discussion of the article. It is suggested, whenever appropriate, detailing the topic "Methods", informing the approval of the Ethics Committee and the case number, the study design, place where it was performed, participants, clinical outcomes of interest and intervention. The abstract should be structured within 200 words and contain the following topics: Objetivo (Purpose), Métodos (Methods), Resultados (Results) e Conclusão (Conclusion).
Literature review articles: literature reviews, possibly integrative or systematic making critical and commented reviews on the subject of scientific interest in the Speech Therapy and related areas, which must bring new insights on the theme, point gaps of knowledge on the subject, awaken new discussions or indicate paths to be searched, preferably at the invitation of the editors. Its formal structure must present the following topics: Introdução (Introduction) which justifies the theme of the review including the objective; Métodos (Methods) with the search strategy applied (data base, references from other articles, etc.), and details on the selection criteria of the researched literature (i.e. the last three years, only case reports of articles on the subject, etc.); Revisão da Literatura (Literature Review) commented with discussion; Conclusão (Conclusion) and Referências (References). Maximum of 40 references of articles published in journals from national and international literature, which are preferably from the last 10 years. The abstract should not exceed 200 words and should inform the purpose, the methods used for the search, selection and bibliographic analyses, results and conclusion.
Brief communication: brief reports of research or professional experience with methodologically appropriate evidence; Manuscripts that describe new methods or techniques will also be considered. Its formal structure must present the following topics: Introduction, Methods, Results, Discussion, Final Considerations/Conclusions and References. The abstract must be structured within 200 words and contain the following topics: Resumo (Abstract), Objetivo (Purpose), Métodos (Methods), Resultados (Results) and Conclusão/Considerações Finais (Conclusion).
Reports of clinical cases: rare or uncommon cases, particularly interesting or which bring new knowledge and treatment techniques or reflections. They must be original and unpublished. Its formal structure must present the following topics: Introdução (Introduction), short and supported in the literature that justifies the presentation of the case; Apresentação do Caso (Case Report), description of the history of performed procedures and treatments; Resultados (Results), clearly showing the progress achieved; Discussão (Discussion) based on facts; Conclusão/Considerações Finais (Conclusion/Final Considerations) and Referências (References), relevant for the report. Maximum of 30 references of articles published in journals from national and international literature, which are preferably from the last 5 years. The abstract should not exceed 200 words and should not be structured.
Letter to the editor: comments and critics to articles published, in a constructive, objective and educational way, or discussions of current specific issues. The letters will be published by the Editors criteria and must be brief (should not exceed 1000 words).
Format and preparation of manuscripts
The journal's guidelines are based on the format proposed by the International Committee of Medical Journal Editors and published in the article: Uniform requirements for manuscripts submitted to biomedical journals, version from February 2006 available at: http://www.icmje.org/
CEFAC Journal supports the policies for registration of clinical trials of the World Health Organization (WHO) and the International Committee of Medical Journal Editors (ICMJE), recognizing the importance of these initiatives for the registration and international dissemination of information on clinical trials in open access. A clinical trial is any study that prospectively assigns human beings to intervention or comparison groups to evaluate the cause and effect between a medical intervention and a health outcome. Clinical trials must be registered in one of the following records:
Australian Clinical Trials Registry http://actr.org.au
a) MS Word file, Arial font, size 12, single-spaced on 212×297 mm (A4 size) with 2.5 cm margins at the top, bottom, and left margin, with pages numbered in Arabic numerals, in the following sequence: title page, resumo (abstract in Portuguese), descriptors, abstract, keywords, text, acknowledgments, references, tables or figures with their legends.
b) permission to reproduce the photographic material of patients or to take it from another author, when it happens, an attached copy of the “Informed Consent”, with the approval to use the images in scientific journals.
c) approval of the Research Ethics Committee (REC), when referring to human research. It is mandatory the presentation of the approval of the Ethics Committee protocol of the institution where the research issue was held, as well as information on the signature of the "Informed Consent" for all those involved or their guardians.
d) letter signed by all authors in the Statement of Responsibility stating that the manuscript is original and that the authors are responsible for the uploaded content, ensuring that the article was never published or submitted elsewhere, granting exclusive rights to CEFAC Journal and authorizing the editing of the text to the journal's format, preserving its contents. The lack of signature is going to be interpreted as disinterest or disapproval to the publication, determining the editorial exclusion of the name of this person from the list of authors. Every person designated as author should have participated enough in the paper to take public responsibility for its content. Authorship credit should be based only on 1) substantial contributions to conception and design, or acquisition of data, or analysis and interpretation of data; 2) drafting the article or revising it critically for important intellectual content; 3) final approval of the version to be published.
Editors may request justification when the total number of authors exceeds eight. It will not be allowed to include a new author after first peer review is received.
STATEMENT OF RESPONSABILITY – SAMPLE
Date, Signature of every Author
PREPARATION OF MANUSCRIPT
1. Title page: it should contain: a) title of the manuscript in Portuguese (or Spanish) and English, which should be concise but informative; b) running head no longer than 40 characters, including spaces, in Portuguese, English or Spanish; c) full name of each author with the institutional affiliation of the author during the period when all or most of the research was done, City, State and Country; d) name, full address, fax and e-mail of the lead author and to whom it should be referred to correspondence; e) indication of the area: Language, Orofacial Motricity, Voice, Audiology, Collective Health, Dysphagia, SLP in schools, Speech Therapy and Related Areas that the paper can be applied; f) identification of the type of manuscript: original research article, literature review article, brief communications, case reports; g) the sources of grants for research or study-related funding indication, if there is one; h) conflict of interest (if there is none, write nonexistent).
Name, address and e-mail of the lead author.
2. Abstract and Keywords: the second page must contain the abstract in Portuguese (or Spanish) and in English, no longer than 200 words. It must be structured according to the type of study described above, in Portuguese and English. The abstract is intended to provide a clear view of the main parts of the study, highlighting the most significant data, new aspects of the content and conclusions. Symbols, formulas, equations and abbreviations should not be used.
3. Text: It must follow to the structure required for each type of manuscript. Abbreviations should be avoided. When the use of acronyms is required, it must be preceded by that said term in full in his first appearance in the text. References should be cited, numbered consecutively in the order they appear on the text, using superscript Arabic numerals. Avoid indicating the name of authors.
4. Footnotes: there should be no footnotes. If the information is important for the understanding or reproduction of the study, it must be included in the article.
5. Acknowledgments: it includes collaboration of people who must be acknowledged, but should not be included as authors, acknowledgment for financial support, technical aid and others.
6. References: The presentation must be based on a format called “Vancouver Style”, as demonstrated by the examples below and the titles of journal must be abbreviated according to the style presented by the List of Journal Indexed in Index Medicus, of the National Library of Medicine and available at: http://nlmpubs.nlm.nih.gov/online/journals/ljiweb.pdf
Lack of Authorship
Annals of Congress
Dissertation, thesis and coursework completion
Unpublished Sources (in press)
Online Journal article
Dissertation on the Internet
Cd-Rom, DVD, Disk
7. Tables, Charts and Graphs (remember that charts and graphs should be called Figures according to item 3)
8. Figures (photographs, illustrations): Images and illustrations should have their place indicated in the text and also be sent in separate attachments in TIF or JPG format with a minimum resolution of 300 dpi and it should be considered the maximum width of the magazine which is 16.5 cm. They can be colored or black and white (grayscale). They must be saved and named according to the article and its order: artigoX_fig_1, artigoX_fig_2 successively and identical to the content. Each figure must be sent on a separate page after the references. They should be numbered consecutively in Arabic numerals in the order they are mentioned in the text. Legends should be presented clearly and described under the figures, out of the frame. When using statistical tests, describe the test name, p-value, and the source from which the information was obtained (when they are not the author himself). Graphics should preferably be presented in the form of columns. For still images, indicate details with arrows, letters, numbers and symbols, which should be clear and large enough to hold reduction. They must be in JPG (Graphics Interchange Format) or TIF (Tagged Image File Format) formats, high-resolution (minimum 300 dpi) so they can be reproduced. Already published reproductions of Illustrations should be followed by permission of the publisher and author.
9. Statistical Analysis: The authors must show that the statistical procedures employed were not only appropriate to test the hypotheses of the study but also correctly interpreted. Levels of statistical significance (for example: p <0.05; p <0.01; p <0.001) should be mentioned.
10. Abbreviations and Acronyms: they must be preceded by the their full name when mentioned for the first time. In the legends of tables and figures, they should be followed by their full name. When present in tables and figures, abbreviations and acronyms should be with their meanings in subtitles. They should not be used in the title and abstract.
11. Units: values of physical quantities should be listed following the International System of Units patterns, available at: http://www.inmetro.gov.br/infotec/publicacoes/Si/si.htm.
DECLARATION OF PORTUGUESE PROOFREADING – SAMPLE
_____________________________, _____ _____________ 201__.
I, _____________________________________(full name), ___________ (profession), ID number _______________, declare for any purposes that the article entitled _____________________________________________________________________________, to be published in the REVISTA CEFAC - Speech, Language, Hearing Sciences and Education Journal, was edited/proofread by me. Thus, I certify the quality of the writing of this manuscript.
DECLARATION OF ENGLISH PROOFREADING – SAMPLE
_____________________________, _____ _____________ 201__.
I declare that the company/translator _____________________________________(full name), CNPJ/CPF __________ certifies the correspondence between the versions in Portuguese and English and the English version of the manuscript entitled _____________________________________________________________________________, to be published in the REVISTA CEFAC - Speech, Language, Hearing Sciences and Education Journal.
From January 18th 2016, the publication fee to be paid by the authors who have their articles approved will be US $ 200.00 (commercial dollar). As the Revista CEFAC has been growing in visibility and scientific recognition, it becomes necessary a bigger investment in the quality of the publication of the versions in Portuguese and English, therefore the adoption of this publication fee.
When the manuscript has been accepted, the author will receive a notice about the payment. This should be done on the behalf of ABRAMO – Associação Brasileira de Motricidade Orofacial account in Banco Itaú – Agência 4271 C/C 23820-8 – CNPJ 022.196.630/0001-16. After making the deposit, the receipt should be sent within 15 days, by e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org or inserted in the journal system among the additional documents (according to report by email about the payment). For additional questions, the author may contact us by email.
Sending manuscript for submission
Submitting a manuscript
Only articles submitted by the online publishing system will be accepted for consideration, available at: http://mc04.manuscriptcentral.com/rcefac-scielo
[Home] [About the journal] [Editorial board] [Subscriptions]
All the content of the journal, except where otherwise noted, is licensed under a Creative Commons License
Rua Uruguaiana, 516
Cep 13026-001 Campinas SP Brasil
Tel.: +55 19 3254-0342