ISSN 0101-3157 printed version
Since its first issue, January 1981, the Brazilian Journal of Political Economy is a peer reviewed journal, which sees economics as political economy.
Manuscripts' form and presentation
Instructions for Contributors
1. The Brazilian Journal of Political Economy publishes articles or papers, small papers, review articles, notes and comments, as well as documents that are in accordance with its Editorial Policies. The Journal does not commission papers, but only publishes papers that are within its field of interest. If they are accepted in this first examination, they shall be peer reviewed and, once approved, shall be published basically according to the order of approval.
2. The papers should contain a reasonably original economic reasoning and a proper reference to the literature on the subject. Papers that fail to mention the Brazilian and Latin-American authors who have relevantly discussed the subject shall not be accepted. Papers with complex mathematical models resulting from the use of the hypothetical-deductive method are of no interest to the Journal.
3. The Journal publishes original papers, in Portuguese or, preferably, in English. The submission of a paper to the Journal should imply that it has not been previously published and is not being considered for another publication. However, the simultaneous publication of a paper in the Journal and in another one, in different languages, is allowed.
4. Once a paper in Portuguese is approved for publication, the author shall have the option of translating it into English. Both versions shall be published. The English version shall appear in the printed Journal, whereas the Portuguese version shall be published only in the Journal's electronic version.
5. Papers should not exceed 52,000 characters with spaces, including references, tables, graphs and footnotes. Their title should be short. Papers should include an abstract with no more than 100 words, keywords, JEL classification, and a lead-in to the article of 20 words at most. Review articles may have up to 62,000 characters, spaces included. Tables should be in Word format, small (just the essential figures) and limited in number. The number of graphs should also be limited. The Journal's Office shall not accept articles that do not comply with those requirements.
6. Econometric papers relating certain results to certain causes shall be accepted, but, unless they also include the development of an original theory, they should be sent in two versions: one, to be published in the print edition, with 30,000 characters at most; only the issue or issues proposed and the econometric conclusions should be included in this version. The second version, to be published in the digital edition, should be complete, with accurate documentation on the details of the method employed, the econometric tables, and the data used in the analyses; it should also inform the software version and the routines used. Details of the calculations should be sufficient to enable replication by other researchers.
7. Review articles consist of a reasonably complete and updated bibliographic review of a certain subject. Small papers should not exceed 10 pages, should be brief, and include a theoretical model. Both are particularly welcome and shall have priority in the publication. Comments are critical analyses of articles published in the Journal; if they are accepted, the author of the commented paper shall be entitled to a reply in the same issue; both the comment and the reply shall not exceed 15,000 characters.
8. Quoted papers may be identified in the text or in a footnote. When the quoted text is not the text of the original edition, the date of the original text should appear in the text of the paper; this date should be repeated in the reference, in parentheses, followed by the date of the edition used, in brackets. When phrases are quoted, the page should always be indicated; quotations and references of journal articles should always indicate the volume, the issue, and the number of the initial and final pages of the article. At the end of the article, the reference should be limited to the quoted papers and should obey the following format:
Marx, Karl (1867 ) O Capital – Livro I. Rio de Janeiro: Civilização Brasileira.
9. Articles shall only be submitted to the referees of the Editorial Board as long as they comply with the requirements above and deal with a subject specified in the Editorial Policies.
10. The submission of a paper implies its authorization for publication in the Journal. No copyrights shall be paid.
The sending of manuscripts
Manuscripts according to Instruction for Contributors shall be sent to email@example.com.
[Home] [About the journal] [Editorial board] [Subscription]
All the content of the journal, except where otherwise noted, is licensed under a Creative Commons License
Centro de Economia Política
Rua Araripina, 106 - Cidade Jardim
05603-030 - São Paulo-SP - Brasil
Tel.: +55 11 3816-6020
Fax.: +55 11 3816-6652