Scope and politics
Soldagem & Inspeção is intended primary to Professional and research from Portuguese and Spanish speaking countries. Papers written in Portuguese, Spanish and English are accepted. All submitted papers are initially evaluated by one of the Associate Editors. Papers approved by the Associate Editor are further evaluated by the Editorial Board, and have to receive at least two favorable reviews from its members to be accepted for publication. Some papers, particularly those covering more specialized areas, can be reviewed by "ad hoc" reviewers. All process is supervised by the Editor-in-Chief. Submitted papers should not have be published or submitted to another journal, except for special cases (invited papers, see below). There are no fixed dates for paper submission. The time interval between submission and paper approval for publication is around 3 to 10 months. Submission and acceptance dates are indicated in the first page of published papers.
Members of the Editorial Board evaluate all submitted papers considering, among others, relevance of the subject, originality and presentation. Their point of view is summarized in a standard form identifying the paper and finishing with one of the following conclusions:
Paper not recommended for publication
Paper recommended for publication with restrictions, and
Paper recommended for publication without restrictions.
The Soldagem & Inspeção, (S&I) journal accepts papers that belong to one of the following categories:
- Scientific Papers: These should present results obtained by scientific methodologies in fields related to welding, inspection and related processes.
- Reviews: Papers that, based on what has been published in the literature, present the evolution and state of the art in fields related to welding, inspection and related processes.
- Invited Papers: These include scientific or informative papers that are considered of particular interest for the readers of S&I. They are, generally, papers published or presented in Congresses or Journals by well known researchers or personalities in fields related to welding, inspection and related processes. Conditions for publication of an invited paper include the acceptance of the invitation by its authors and the agreement from the entities responsible for the Congress or Journal that originally published the paper.
- Technological Challenges: Scientific papers or letters that center on subjects that can boost the advance of the knowledge of some welding and inspection aspects, which has not been completely understood or accepted. In this sense, these aspects can be considered as challenges. The papers are expected to contradict or support those aspects by using new methodologies or bringing alternative arguments. Therefore, it is not demanded that papers present conclusive results and a well defined study, i.e., a lesser scientific rigor is accepted. However, the paper should contain at least a seed of a new knowledge. It is expected that the paper should contribute to the discussion of polemic subjects and stimulate other authors, through new papers or letters, to contribute to the subject or expose faults of the approach that was presented.
- Technological Advances: Technological papers or letters that present recent advances in, for instance, equipment design, processes and techniques. The idea is to bring to our readers information related to innovative advances and their potential contributions of welding, inspections and related processes. Although these papers are of technological divulgation, those considered as advertisement of a product or divulgation of an entity or company will not be accepted. Therefore, the names of products or companies should be avoided or placed just once in the introduction.
- Editorials: Piece of text that opens a new issue of S&I. It should occupy no more than one page of the journal. The editorial should express the opinion of its authors concerning today technical or social subjects that are relevant the fields of interest of the S&I and/or their future outcomes.
Manuscript's form and presentation
To write and submit your paper to Soldagem & Inspeção journal, please follow the template below:
Paper Title in Times New Roman, Bold, Size 11
(Paper Title Translation to Portuguese in Times New Roman, Bold, Size 10)
Full Name of First Author1, Full Name of Second Author2, ...
1First author affiliation, city, state, country and e-mail
2Second author affiliation, city, state, country and e-mail ...
It is essential that all papers follow the format rules of S&I to ensure its printing and graphical quality. This document presents these rules. This includes font size and type, line spacing, tabulation, equation, table and figure presentation, and referencing style. The abstract should have less the 200 words. It should outline the objectives, methodology and main conclusions of the papers in a single paragraph. It should not contain any equation or references.
Keywords: Insert a maximum of five keywords.
Resumo: The abstract should be translated to Portuguese. This translate may be done under request by S&I.
Palavras-chave: Translation of the keywords to Portuguese.
The Soldagem & Inspeção (S&I) journal is the scientific divulgation channel of the Brazilian Welding Association (ABS). It aims to publish original papers related to the scientific and technological development of welding, inspection, and related fields. Review papers or letters on current and controversial subjects are also published in the Journal. Papers presented in the Welding Brazilian Congress, sponsored by the Brazilian Welding Association (CONSOLDA-ABS), receive priority to be published in the S&I Journal. However, papers directly submitted to the Journal are also welcomed. All submitted papers are evaluated by an Editorial Board, and have to receive at least two favorable reviews from its members to be accepted for publication. Soldagem & Inspeção is released every trimester and it is distributed mainly in Spanish and Portuguese spoken countries.
For this reason, it publishes papers written in those languages, and in English. It is distributed exclusively to ABS members and, as a donation, to libraries in universities, colleges, research institutions, and companies linked to the welding and inspection fields. Authors must sign the Copyright Transfer Form before their paper is published in the S&I Journal. It is also implied that the authors should answer to any demand resulting from conflicts with other authors, institutions, and companies related to their paper.
Follow this order when typing your manuscript:
b) Author(s) and affiliation(s);
c) Abstract (100-200 words);
d) Keywords (from 3 to 5);
e) Abstract and keywords in Portuguese;
f) Main text;
g) Acknowledgements (optional);
The main text are organized in numbered sections (i.e.: 1. Introduction, 2. Methodology, ...). Each section may be organized in numbered subsections (i.e.: 2.1. Numerical Analysis). The introduction establishes the need for the research work, what is known about the subject, and what is still unclear. It should not repeat what was already presented in the abstract.
Authors are free to organize their paper in different forms. However, the Editorial Board of S&I may require alterations if the paper is considered to be miss-organized.
This section describes the methodology, materials and equipment used to accomplish what is proposed in the paper.
The international system of units (SI) should be used. If other quantities are mentioned, give their equivalent in SI.
References should be referred by numbers according to their order of appearance in the paper. Number should be placed between brackets: , [1,2], [1,3-5], etc.
3. Results and Discussion
This section presents and analysis the data that was obtained. This analysis will support the conclusions of the paper.
Equations should be numbered according to their order of appearance in the paper.
Tables must be numbered, quoted in the main text and have a title that summarizes its content. Long tables, with more than 8 columns, should be avoided.
Figures must be numbered, quoted (Figure 2) and inserted in the main text. Each figure must have a caption located under the figure that describes its contents. If the paper is approved for publication, high quality (at least 600dpi) files of the figures will be required.
Figure 2. Electrode preparation for temperature monitoring.
Members of the Editorial Board will evaluate aspects such as technical or scientific relevance, originality, methodology, results presentation and analysis and will classify the paper in one of the categories below:
a) Paper not accepted for publication;
b) Paper accepted with corrections; and
c) Paper accepted as it stands.
The members of the Editorial Board would like to thank the authors and readers of S&I. Special thanks to the Brazilian Welding Society for the financial support.
References should be listed in the same order they are quoted in the main text. Authors should follow the Brazilian standard NBR 6023/2002 to write their references. A few examples are presented below:
 SOUZA, K.J.; PINHA, I.; RABELO, B. Artificial Welding, Welding Journal, USA, v.124, n.11, p.980-983, Jun. 1996.
 CANSADO, J.H. et al., Spatter injuries and their treatments. 2.ed. London: S. Paul, 1986. 300 p.
 WALER, L.; SWARTZ, M.N. Soldagem Plasma. In: SILVA NETO. Soldagem Especiais. 3a, Rio de Janeiro: UFRJ, 1974. p.457-472.
 BENGTSSON, S.; SOLLEIM, B.G. Enforcement of data protection, privacy and security in welding informatics. In: WORLD CONGRESS ON WELDING INFORMATICS, 7o, 1992, Geneva. Proceedings... Amsterdam: North Holland, 1992. p.1561-1565.
 SILVA, R.J. Efeito dos parâmetros de soldagem na Formação do Cordão: 1995. 132p. Dissertação (Mestrado) - Faculdade de Mecânica, Universidade Estadual Paulista, Botucatu.
 ASSOCIAÇÃO BRASILEIRA DE NORMAS TÉCNICAS. NBR 6028: resumos. Rio de Janeiro, 1990. 3 p.
 ALFRED WERTLI AG. Bertrand Reymont. Dispositivo numa usina de fundição de lingotes para o avanço do lingote fundido. Int CI3B22 D29/00.Den.PI 8002090. 2 abr. 1980, 25 nov. 1980. Revista da Propriedade Industrial, Rio de Janeiro, n. 527, p.17.
 MALOFF, Joel. A internet e o valor da "internetização". Ciência da Informação, Brasília, v. 26, n. 3, 1997. Disponível em: <http://www.ibict.br/cionline/>. Acesso em: 18 maio 1998.
This template may the retrieved from the electronic address of Welding & Inspection: http://abs-soldagem.org.br/s&i/
There is no fee for submission and review articles.
Authors should submit their manuscript on-line: http://mc04.manuscriptcentral.com/si-scielo.
[Home] [About the journal] [Editorial board] [Subscriptions]
All the content of the journal, except where otherwise noted, is licensed under a Creative Commons License
Rua Dr Guilherme Bannitz nº 126 conj 42,
CEP 04532-060 São Paulo SP Brasil
Tel.: +55 11 3045-5040
Fax: +55 11 3045-8578