Scope and editorial policy
Instructions for Contributors
1. Sociologias - Revista do PPGS is a triannual publication of the Sociology Graduate Program (PPG/Sociologia) of the Institute of Philosophy and Human Sciences (IFCH), Federal University of Rio Grande do Sul (UFRGS). Intended to promote the interchange between national and foreign social scientists, the periodical accepts previously unpublished works, under the form of articles, book reviews and research reports relevant to social sciences. The works must have academic and social interest.
2. Submissions of manuscripts to Sociologias should be exclusive, that is, manuscripts shall not be simultaneously submitted to other journals. Authors must submit their works through Sociologias’ web page (HTTP://www.seer.ufrgs.br/sociologias) where they will need first to register and create a login and password as author. Then the author can begin the five steps process for submitting the article.
3. The acceptance of articles for publication is subject to the approval by the editorial board and contributors, with guaranteed anonymity for both authors and advisors throughout the evaluation process. Possible suggestions from the editorial board for changes in the structure or content will be previously accorded with the authors. Additions or modifications will not be accepted after the works have been accepted for printing.
4. Articles will be evaluated according to the following criteria: quality and accuracy of the arguments, validity of the presented data, timeliness and relevance of the article to the discussion of problems in the area of research, and the adequacy and contemporaneity of the references.5. Following evaluation by reviewers, authors will be informed about the results of acceptance, reviewing suggestions or rejection for publication.
Instructions for original article
6. Works shall be submitted in editable files (.doc, .docx, or .rtf) and must contain its full title, authors’ name, degree and position at his/her institution, and contact information – address, e-mail and telephone numbers.
7. Articles may be submitted in Portuguese or Spanish, and must be at least 4,000 and a maximum of 8,000 words, including abstract (100 to 200 words) and references. The author should also indicate up to 5 keywords that allow the proper indexing of the article.
8. Book reviews may be submitted in Portuguese and Spanish and should contain no more than 4,000 words.
9. For literal bibliographical quotations in the text the author must use the author-date system. Short literal quotations (less than three lines) must be integrated in the paragraph, put in italic and followed by the last name of the author related in the text, year of publication and page(s) of the text quoted, all of it between parentheses and separate by commas. The quotations with more than three lines must be separated from the text in a special paragraph and indented (four spaces to the right of the left margin). All quotations must be in italic and without quotations marks. References with no literal quotation must be incorporated into the text, indicating between parentheses, at the end, the last name of the author and the year of publication. Foreign words must be put in italic, without quotations marks.
10. Notes, if necessary, must be numbered consecutively within the text and placed at the foot of the page.
11. Figures, graphs, maps, tables, pictures and photographs must have title and source, and they should be numbered. They must be in conditions to allow reliable reproduction and qualitative printing, and should be submitted as a separate file rather than inserted in the text, with clear indications throughout the text of the location where the images must be inserted.
12. Sociologias is not responsible for concepts stated by the authors. The spontaneous submission of any contribution automatically implies the complete cession of copyrights to the PPGS.
13. The contributor will be gratuitously supplied with three copies of the periodical's volume in which his article is published.
14. The references must be at the end of the paper, in alphabetical order and in accordance with ABNT rules, as shown in the following examples:
b) ARTICLES IN PERIODICALS
c) TEXTS IN COLLECTIONS
d) ACADEMIC THESES
e) ENTRIES FROM A DICTIONARY
INSTITUTO BRASILEIRO DE INFORMAÇÃO EM CIÊNCIA E TECNOLOGIA. Conheça o IBICT. Disponível em: <http://www.ibict.br/ibict/frame.htm>. Acesso em: 01 out. 1997.
Submissions must be done through Sociologias’ web page (HTTP://www.seer.ufrgs.br/sociologias). Authors will need first to register and create a login and password, and then begin the five steps process for submitting the article.
[Home] [About the journal] [Editorial board] [Subscription]
All the content of the journal, except where otherwise noted, is licensed under a Creative Commons License
Av. Bento Gonçalves, 9500 - Prédio
43111 - sala 103
91509-900 Porto Alegre RS Brasil
Tel.: +55 51 3316-6635/3316-7008
Fax: +55 51 3316-6637