Aims and policy
The quality of the articles is guaranteed by the journal's editorial staff, made up of distinguished professors and professionals coming from different Brazilian and foreign universities.
The journal is made up of articles selected out of those ones received by the publishing house, as well as of articles specifically written by researchers and professionals largely known by their expertise. Besides the articles (each issue has about nine articles), Serviço Social & Sociedade publishes texts that interest both social workers and related professionals. Such texts are distributed in the following moving sections: Open channel, Communication about researches, Testimonies, Interviews, Expressions of social thinking, Homage, Inform yourself, Debates, Registers, Reportings of experiences, Reviews, Themes to discuss and Explaining clearly.
From issue 67 (September, 2001) on, the journal has published special thematic issues presenting the readers with thoughts and debates about specific themes related not only to Social Services, but also to aging, families, sociallegal topics, children and adolescents etc. Specific committees are formed to organize such special issues, and experts and invited researchers take part in those specific committees.
The journal has also been working to present questions affecting several countries of the world, and it has enlarged its thematic comprehension beyond Latin America. It has been keeping a dialogue with the Portuguese Social Services as a way to enter Europe and African countries.
Every person who is interested in social policies or is directly involved with research, formulation, or operation of social policies in general can find in Serviço Social & Sociedade an important datum resource, as well as a repository of the best and more advanced researches on the themes.
Target readers: professors, researchers, students and professionals from Social Services and related areas
Form and preparation of the manuscripts
1. The quarterly journal Serviço Social & Sociedade has been published by Cortez Editora since 1979, and it is a space to express and discuss issues related to Social Work, social workers, social theory and themes about the Brazilian reality and the world one.
2. The structure of the Journal is open, which enables the presentation of articles from monographies, completion of course works, projects, experiment reports etc., as well as interviews, reviews, reproduction of discussions, testimonies in general, notes, communications and significant registers.
3. All the writings are submitted to the Editorial Board, which decide on its publication. Sending the originals to the Journal implies that its publication is authorized.
4. The articles sent to the Journal pass by the following protocol registration: the text, which is received only by mail, has its entry date registered in the Publishing House. The Editorial Office gives it an order number. The Editorial Board of the Journal chooses an Editorial Committee for each specific issue. That Committee works on the proposal of the articles which will make up that specific issue. Such a proposal is analyzed in a bimonthly meeting of the Editorial Board. The Large Board receives the originals to be analyzed ad hoc, at the discretion of the Editorial Committee. Each article to be analyzed by the Committee has an evaluation form. In that form, the counselors make observations and/or suggestions as subsidies to regulatory compliance for publication, in case the article is approved. The Journal compromises to give the authors an answer, by e-mail, whether that answer is positive or negative. If the article is not approved, the reasons for that are not communicated.
5. The Editorial Board and the editorial team of the Journal reserve themselves the right to refuse the text received and/or to suggest some modifications to the form, in order to make the writing adequate to the standards of the Journal.
6. If the article is written in Portuguese or Spanish, it is indispensable that it presents its title, abstract and keywords in English too. The abstracts must be seven lines long at the most, and there must be from three to six keywords. As to the title of the article, is must be as short as possible.
7. The article should be written in Times or Arial 12 font, and 1.5 spacing. If there are notes, they should be written in Times or Arial 10 font.
8. By mail, it must be sent a title page and three printed copies of the article, which must be at least 10 (ten) and at the most 25 (twenty-five) pages long, and it cannot exceed 55,000 characters with space. Such dimensions include the bibliography. The reviews cannot be more than three pages long. A copy of both the article and its title page must also be sent by e-mail to: email@example.com, with the indication of the subject: Revista Serviço Social & Sociedade: article to be reviewed.
Observation: The article will only be referred to review by the Editorial Board if the printed copy is received. Therefore, we will not review the text if we receive it just by e-mail.
9. In order to ensure anonymity in the process of review, the articles must be presented as it follows: on the title page it must be written the name of the article, the author´s name, the author´s qualification, mail address including zip code, e-mail, phone number (DDD – Direct Distance Dialing), city and country, besides the name of the institution and of the department to which the author belongs. So, on the first page of the article, neither the name(s) of the author(s), nor the author´s (authors´) data will appear. The source of the article can also be mentioned: PhD thesis, master´s degree dissertation, research report, institutional review etc.
10. Do not send bound copies.
11. The bibliography must be in alphabetical order at the end of the article. It must contain just the names of the works referred to throughout the text. It must follow the rules of Associação Brasileira de Normas Técnicas (ABNT – Brazilian Association of Technical Standards). In case of doubts, please refer to NBR 6023, from August, 2002.
The titles of the articles must be referred to in full. The authors must ensure the references in the text are put in the bibliography, with the correct date of publication, as well as the correct spelling of the author´s (authors´) names.
12. Illustrations (graphics, photos, drawings etc.) must be numbered with Arabic numerals in sequence, and they must be referred to as Figures. They must be clear enough (high definition) so as to be reproduced with quality in the printing process. The approximate place in the text where each one of the illustrations should be inserted must be indicated.
13. The articles sent to the Journal must be unpublished, and it is up to the Editorial Board to evaluate the exceptions. The copyright of the articles published belongs to their authors, and the copyright of each edition belongs to Cortez Editora. Therefore, if the authors want to republish the articles in compilations or other periodicals, they are asked to simply mention the first publication in Revista Serviço Social & Sociedade.
14. The articles approved will be presented in the definitive version. The ones that were not will be at their authors´ disposal for one month from the date of the e-mail informing that the article was refused by the Publishing House. If the author wants to take it away, we ask to be informed in advance. The Publishing House does not send the articles back by mail. If the article is not taken away, Cortez Editora compromises to destroy it after the time established.
15. The Publishing House is interested in responses and comments on the published articles, and, if they are accepted to be published, such responses and comments will be sent to the authors prior to publication, so that the authors know about them and they are eligible to rejoinders, preferably in the same issue.
16. The authors whose articles were published will be entitled to five copies of the journal as copyright, if the article was written by just one author. If there are two authors, each one of them is entitled to receive three copies. If there are three or more authors, each author will receive two copies. All the copies will be sent to the same address, and the author who receives them must forward the copies to the other authors.
17. Cortez Editora will not publish articles violating the professional ethics, with prejudiced words or ideas, or having points of view incompatible with the Editorial Board or the Publishing House´s work philosophy.
18. The concepts and information in the articles published in Revista Serviço Social & Sociedade are the author´s sole responsibility, and they do not necessarily reflect the thought of the Journal Editorial Board or of Cortez Editora´s.19. The articles must be sent directly to Cortez Editora ( and never to any member of the Editorial Board or of the Group of Collaborators), care of the Editorial Team of the Social Work area: Priscila F. Augusto, to the following address: Rua Monte Alegre, 1074 – Perdizes – CEP 05014-001 – São Paulo/SP, Brasil. E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Sending the manuscripts
Three (3) printed copies of the article must be sent, together with a (1) digital one, and the text must be in floppy disk or CDROM, in Word for Windows 6.0 or following that. The article must have at least 10 (ten) and at the maximum 25 (twentyfive) pages that cannot exceed 50,000 characters together with blanks. The complete bibliography must be included in those dimensions. The reviews cannot be longer than three (3) pages. In the digital copy there must be two files: one with the information about the author (front page) and the other with the text. The digital copy must be identified with the title of the article and the author's name.]
Note: in order to guarantee anonymity in the process of evaluation, the articles are required to be presented as it follows: in the front page, apart from the other pages (send just one front page), it must be written the title of the article, the author's name and his qualification, complete address - with zip code - e mail, telephone number (area code), city and country, together with the name of the institution and the department to which the author is linked. The first page of the text must include only the title of the article, without the name or information about the author. The origin of the article must be informed in this first page, for example, if it derives from a doctoral thesis, a dissertation, a research report, an institutional evaluation etc.
[Home] [About the journal] [Editorial board] [Subscriptions]
All the content of the journal, except where otherwise noted, is licensed under a Creative Commons License
Rua Monte Alegre, 1074 Perdizes
05014-001 São Paulo SP Brasil
Tel.: +55 11 3864-0111
Fax: +55 11 3864-4290