SciELO - Scientific Electronic Library Online

vol.78 issue5Continuous fenoterol inhalation by children with severe acute asthma: immediate clinical effectsJohanson-Blizzard syndrome: the importance of differential diagnostic in pediatrics author indexsubject indexarticles search
Home Pagealphabetic serial listing  

Services on Demand




Related links


Jornal de Pediatria

Print version ISSN 0021-7557On-line version ISSN 1678-4782


OLIVEIRA FILHO, Renato Santos de et al. Sentinel lymph node in children with melanoma: case report. J. Pediatr. (Rio J.) [online]. 2002, vol.78, n.5, pp.429-432. ISSN 0021-7557.

Objective: to present a case of a child who was subjected to sentinel lymph node biopsy for cutaneous melanoma. Description: a 12 year-old child with Dysplastic Nevus Syndrome developed melanoma on the lumbar region. The excision biopsy revealed a melanoma with depth of 1.5 mm. The patient was submitted to amplification of the margins 2 cm in all directions and the sentinel node was also excised. The histopathological exam did not show residual disease. Sentinel on exam did not show metastases either under hematoxylin-eosin stain or immunohistochemistry (S-100 and HMB45). Therefore, RT-PCR for tyrosinase mRNA was positive. The patient has been followed for twelve months without evidence of recurrence. Comments: childhood melanoma is rare, corresponding to less than 1% of malignant tumors in children. Data point to a worldwide increase in its incidence. Melanoma occurs in melanocytic lesions in 70% and in the remaining 30% it occurs de novo. Melanoma is very aggressive, so the survival depends on an early diagnosis. Sentinel lymph node biopsy has selected patients to complete lymphadenectomy. Some authors have been using this technique in childhood melanoma.

Keywords : sentinel lymph node; melanoma; children.

        · abstract in Portuguese     · text in Portuguese     · Portuguese ( pdf epdf )


Creative Commons License All the contents of this journal, except where otherwise noted, is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution License