SciELO - Scientific Electronic Library Online

vol.81 issue6Cumulative prevalence of risk factors for atherosclerotic cardiovascular diseases in Iranian adolescents: IHHP-HHPCGrowth impairment of children with different types of lip and palate clefts in the first 2 years of life: a cross-sectional study author indexsubject indexarticles search
Home Pagealphabetic serial listing  

Services on Demand




Related links


Jornal de Pediatria

Print version ISSN 0021-7557On-line version ISSN 1678-4782


AFIUNE, Jorge Yussef; SINGER, Julio M.  and  LEONE, Cléa Rodrigues. Echocardiographic post-neonatal progress of preterm neonates with patent ductus arteriosus. J. Pediatr. (Rio J.) [online]. 2005, vol.81, n.6, pp.454-460. ISSN 0021-7557.

OBJECTIVE: To identify clinical and echocardiography predictors of the spontaneous closure of patent ductus arteriosus in preterm neonates. METHODS: Sixty-one consecutive preterm neonates (gestational age 30±2 weeks, birth weight 1.2±0.2 kg) were evaluated by echocardiogram on their third day of life and those with patent ductus arteriosus were selected for a prospective cohort. Echocardiography was repeated weekly until they reached term. Based on their progress, the sample population was divided into two groups, depending on whether spontaneous closure of patent ductus arteriosus took place (Group A) or not (Group B). The prevalence of clinical signs of patent ductus arteriosus and echocardiography findings at baseline were compared between the groups. RESULTS: Patent ductus arteriosus was found in 21 neonates (34%). Spontaneuous closure was observed during follow-up of seven patients (Group A, 33% of those with patent ductus arteriosus), in contrast with the remaining 14 patients (Group B, 67%). Clinical signs of patent ductus arteriosus were present in 14% of the patients in Group A, compared with 71% in group B (p = 0.01). At baseline, Group B had a larger ductus diameter in relation to Group A (2.6±0.6 mm vs. 1.4±0.6 mm; p = 0.003). The area under the ROC curve in relation to ductus diameter was 0.93 (p = 0.003) and 100% sensitivity for identifying cases without spontaneous closure was obtained at the cutoff point of 1.7 mm, while 100% specificity was observed taking 2.2 mm as the cutoff. CONCLUSIONS: In preterm neonates, a patent ductus arteriosus greater than 2.2 mm on the third day of life predicts no spontaneous closure and suggests a need for early treatment, especially when associated with clinical signs.

Keywords : Preterm neonates; echocardiography; patent ductus arterious.

        · abstract in Portuguese     · text in English | Portuguese     · English ( pdf epdf ) | Portuguese ( pdf epdf )


Creative Commons License All the contents of this journal, except where otherwise noted, is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution License