SciELO - Scientific Electronic Library Online

 
vol.62 issue3Case report: anesthesia in patients with asphyxiating thoracic dystrophy: Jeune Syndrome author indexsubject indexarticles search
Home Pagealphabetic serial listing  

Revista Brasileira de Anestesiologia

Print version ISSN 0034-7094

Abstract

ALMEIDA, Carlos Eduardo David de; CURI, Erick Freitas; BREZINSCKI, Renato  and  FREITAS, Rafaela Claudino de. Fire in the surgical center. Rev. Bras. Anestesiol. [online]. 2012, vol.62, n.3, pp. 435-438. ISSN 0034-7094.  http://dx.doi.org/10.1590/S0034-70942012000300015.

BACKGROUND AND OBJECTIVES: There are several factors in operating rooms that increase the risk of fire. Besides being an oxygen-enriched environment, it contains combustible materials and equipment with available ignition sources. Although fires in operating rooms are a relatively rare event, the consequences are potentially serious and mostly avoidable. We present a case report of a fire occurring in the surgical drape during a blepharoplasty in which oxygen was supplemented by nasal catheter. CASE REPORT: Female patient, 52-years old, without comorbidities, admitted to hospital for a bilateral blepharoplasty. After monitoring and venoclysis, the patient underwent intravenous sedation and additional oxygen given via spectacle-type catheter at a flow rate of 4 L.min-1, followed by local anesthesia in the eyelids. During surgery, the use of electric scalpel provoked combustion in the surgical drapes and burns on the patient's face. CONCLUSIONS: Anesthesiologists play an important role preventing fire in operating rooms, as they can recognize possible ignition sources and rationally administer the oxygen, especially in open systems. The first step toward prevention is to be constantly aware of potential fire.

Keywords : anesthesia; electrosurgery; fire prevention and protection; operating rooms; safety management.

        · abstract in Portuguese | Spanish     · text in English | Portuguese | Spanish     · pdf in English | Spanish | Portuguese