Revista Brasileira de Otorrinolaringologia
Print version ISSN 0034-7299
STAMM, Aldo C. et al. Image-Guided Endoscopic Sinus and Skull Base Surgery. Rev. Bras. Otorrinolaringol. [online]. 2002, vol.68, n.4, pp. 502-509. ISSN 0034-7299. http://dx.doi.org/10.1590/S0034-72992002000400008.
Introduction: Although the paranasal sinuses and skull base surgeries have improved dramatically in the last two decades, especially due to advances in surgical instruments, endoscopic visualization and diagnosis procedures; complications of variable degree may still occur. The image-guided system is a very modern technology developed to help the surgeon to identify critical anatomic landmarks, conceived to provide more safety to the surgical procedures. Aim: The objective of this study was to evaluate the utility, the most important surgical indications, and the safety of this system, based on our experience with the image-guided system in paranasal sinuses and skull base surgeries. Study design: Clinical retrospective. Material and method: We analyzed 20 patients undergone image-guided endoscopic paranasal sinuses and skull base surgery at São Paulo ENT Center, from November 2000 up to September 2001. Eleven (55%) of all patients were female, and the other nine ones (45%) were male. The utility, indications and safety of the system were evaluated according to subjective and objective criteria. 1. Utility: based on the need of the system by the surgeon during the surgical procedure; no need, low, moderate and high. 2. Indications: were analyzed according to the surgeries or surgical areas in which the system was required most. 3. Safety: based on the occurrence or absence of intraoperative and postoperative complications. Results: The system was used in all surgeries, although its need showed to be variable in each one. It was mostly required in surgeries of the skull base, revisional cases and surgeries in which the frontal recess had to be accessed. There was no occurrence of intra or post-operative complications. Conclusion: Although not essential, the image-guided system has shown to be useful and safe during endoscopic surgery, providing specific anatomical localization, mainly in patients with extensive disease, modified anatomic landmarks, frontal recess disease, sphenoid sinus, revisional cases or skull base lesions.
Keywords : image-guided surgery; paranasal surgery; skull base surgery.