SciELO - Scientific Electronic Library Online

vol.87 issue6Subjective global assessment of nutritional status in cardiac patients author indexsubject indexarticles search
Home Pagealphabetic serial listing  

Services on Demand




Related links


Arquivos Brasileiros de Cardiologia

Print version ISSN 0066-782XOn-line version ISSN 1678-4170


PERUZZO, Angela Maria; COSTA, Francisco Diniz Affonso da  and  ABRAHAO, Wanda Moscalewski. Microbiologyc control in human heart valves. Arq. Bras. Cardiol. [online]. 2006, vol.87, n.6, pp.778-782. ISSN 0066-782X.

OBJECTIVE: To evaluate, from microbiological point of view, the valves processed by Human Heart Valve Bank of Santa Casa de Misericórdia of Curitiba for use in cardiovascular surgeries. METHODS: The processing of 1,671 valves, accomplished within the period of time between July 1999 and June 2004, was evaluated. Out of the valves and the solutions involved in the process, samples were collected and spread in culture mediums, such as fluid thioglycollate medium, tryptic soy broth and Sabouraud broth, for incubation during 14 days, using a modified methodology based on the Farmacopéia Brasileira 1988 (Brazilian Pharmacopeia) and USP 1990 (United States Pharmacopeia). The samples in which growing was observed were submitted to microbian identification. RESULTS: In a set of 1,671 samples, 92% were considered proper for use under microbiological point of view, since they did not display microbian contamination. The remaining 8% were rejected for clinical use because of contamination in some stage of the valve processing. CONCLUSION: From the Analysis of the results, it was observed the importance of microbiological control in human grafts, in order to avoid using microbiologically contaminated valves in patients submitted to cardiovascular surgery.

Keywords : Cardiac valves; homografts; allografts.

        · abstract in Portuguese     · text in English | Portuguese     · English ( pdf epdf ) | Portuguese ( pdf epdf )


Creative Commons License All the contents of this journal, except where otherwise noted, is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution License