Food Science and Technology (Campinas)
versão impressa ISSN 0101-2061
CERQUEIRA, Francinaide Oliveira da Silva et al. Quality of yellow passion fruit stored under refrigeration and controlled atmosphere. Ciênc. Tecnol. Aliment. [online]. 2011, vol.31, n.2, pp. 534-540. ISSN 0101-2061. http://dx.doi.org/10.1590/S0101-20612011000200039.
In this study, it was evaluated the quality of yellow passion fruits stored under refrigeration and controlled atmospheres of different composition aiming to extend the postharvest life of the fruits. The characteristics of skin color, appearance, mass loss, as well as the chemical quality of the juice of yellow passion fruits stored at: 21% O2 plus 0.03% CO2; 1% O2 plus 0.03% CO2; 5% O2 plus 0.03% CO2; 12% O2 plus 5% CO2; and 5% O2 plus 15% CO2, with 1 control treatment (refrigeration at 13 ºC and 90% UR) were determined. The analyses were performed before and after 30 days of storage and after removing the controlled atmospheres and storage for 9 days under refrigeration at ambient atmosphere. The data were interpreted by simple statistical analysis using the test by confidence intervals with 95% of probability. It was concluded that the application of atmospheres with low oxygen concentration and high carbon dioxide level minimized quality losses. At atmosphere with 5% O2 and 15% CO2, it was observed the lowest color change indexes and mass loss, and also the smallest decrease in acidity, soluble solids content, vitamin C, reducing sugars, and total soluble sugars.
Palavras-chave : Passiflora edulis; storage; chemical composition of fruits; atmosphere composition.