SciELO - Scientific Electronic Library Online

vol.26 issue2Semi-obstrução intestinal por esclerodermia: relato de casoA estória biomolecular do pólipo adenomatoso author indexsubject indexarticles search
Home Pagealphabetic serial listing  

Services on Demand




Related links


Revista Brasileira de Coloproctologia

version ISSN 0101-9880


LOPES, Roberto Iglesias et al. Abscesso perineal por ingestão acidental de palito de dente. Rev bras. colo-proctol. [online]. 2006, vol.26, n.2, pp.193-196. ISSN 0101-9880.

Toothpicks are a common household item and most people underestimate the seriousness of injuries that can occur with accidental ingestion. We report a case of a perineal abscess caused by an ingested toothpick. A 55-year-old man was admitted to the hospital with a 30-day history of perianal pain. Physical examination was unremarkable, except for a perineal abscess. Leucocytosis with 10% bands was present and pelvic tomography demonstrated a foreign body located in the perineal area. Surgical removal of the foreign body with adequate abscess drainage was performed revealing a toothpick. Perineal abscess may progress to Fournier's gangrene and as a consequence the management of a perineal abscess should be aggressive with adequate drainage and removal of the foreign body (if present).

Keywords : abscess; foreign body; toothpick.

        · abstract in Portuguese     · text in Portuguese     · Portuguese ( pdf epdf )


Creative Commons License All the contents of this journal, except where otherwise noted, is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution License