SciELO - Scientific Electronic Library Online

vol.51 issue3Biological characteristics of the non-parasitic phase of Ixodes amarali (Acari: Ixodidae) from opossum (Didelphis sp.) in the State of Rio de Janeiro, BrazilPhosphorus balance in sheep fed on tropical grass hays author indexsubject indexarticles search
Home Pagealphabetic serial listing  

Services on Demand




Related links


Arquivo Brasileiro de Medicina Veterinária e Zootecnia

On-line version ISSN 1678-4162


BAIAO, N.C.; FERREIRA, M.O.O.; BORGES, F.M.O.  and  MONTI, A.E.M.. Effect of methionine levels on performance of laying hens. Arq. Bras. Med. Vet. Zootec. [online]. 1999, vol.51, n.3, pp.271-274. ISSN 1678-4162.

The aim of this experiment was to evaluate the effects of addition of increasing levels of DL-methionine in diet on the performance of laying hens. Nine hundred and sisty Lohmann laying hens, randomly distributed into four treatments with four replicates were used. The control treatment (A) was not supplemented with DL-methionine and contained 0.29% of total methionine. The treatments B, C and D were supplemented with 0.03, 0.05 and 0.07% of methionine respectively, with total methionine being 0.32, 0.34 and 0.36%. The following characteristics were evaluated: egg production (%), feed intake (g), feed conversion (kg/dz), egg weight (g), egg mass (g/day) and eggshell thickness (mm). There were no differences (P>0.05) in terms of feed conversion and eggshell thickness among treatments. The treatments B, C and D produced better egg production, feed intake, egg mass and egg weight as compared to treatment A.

Keywords : Laying hen; methionine; sulfur amino acid.

        · abstract in Portuguese     · text in Portuguese


Creative Commons License All the contents of this journal, except where otherwise noted, is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution License