SciELO - Scientific Electronic Library Online

 
vol.21 issue3Dynamics of traditional knowledge of medicinal plants in a rural community in the Brazilian semi-arid regionChemical constituents from Piptadenia rigida Benth., Fabaceae, "angico" author indexsubject indexarticles search
Home Pagealphabetic serial listing  

Services on Demand

Journal

Article

Indicators

Related links

Share


Revista Brasileira de Farmacognosia

Print version ISSN 0102-695X

Abstract

CHANG, Roberto et al. A new approach for quantifying furanodiene and curzerene: a case study on the essential oils of Eugenia uniflora L., Myrtaceae (pitangueira) leaves. Rev. bras. farmacogn. [online]. 2011, vol.21, n.3, pp.392-396.  Epub Mar 25, 2011. ISSN 0102-695X.  http://dx.doi.org/10.1590/S0102-695X2011005000042.

The essential oil obtained from the leaves of Eugenia uniflora L., Myrtaceae, which grows in the Brazilian savannah, was studied by gas chromatography mass spectrometry (GC-MS). Furanodiene (1.2%) was thermally rearranged to curzerene (85.1%) to produce a combined content of 86.3%. GC analysis carried out under mild conditions (with a constant temperature of 100 ºC) showed that the furanodiene concentration was three-fold greater than the curzerene concentration, i.e., the essential oil contained 64.7% furanodiene and 21.6% curzerene. Germacrene B also rearranged to γ-elemene and the concentration of both was 2.3%. Special care should be taken when conventional gas chromatography analysis is used for quantifying compounds that can rearrange at high temperatures.

Keywords : Eugenia uniflora; pitangueira; volatile compounds gas; chromatographic analysis; thermal rearrangement; Brazilian savannah.

        · text in English     · English ( pdf epdf )

 

Creative Commons License All the contents of this journal, except where otherwise noted, is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution License