SciELO - Scientific Electronic Library Online

vol.36 issue4Phenotypic characterization by antibiogram of Escherichia coli strains isolated from handlers, raw milk and "Minas Frescal" cheese samples in a dairy process plant in Goiás, BrazilPerception of dairy farmers from Passos county, MG, Brazil, concerning the tick Boophilus microplus (acari: ixodidae), 2001 author indexsubject indexarticles search
Home Pagealphabetic serial listing  

Services on Demand




Related links


Ciência Rural

Print version ISSN 0103-8478On-line version ISSN 1678-4596


FERREIRA, Luciano Menezes et al. Phenotypic and genotypic variabilities of Staphylococcus aureus strains isolated from bovine subclinical mastitis. Cienc. Rural [online]. 2006, vol.36, n.4, pp.1228-1234. ISSN 0103-8478.

Seventy-seven S. aureus strains, isolated in milk samples obtained from 40 Holstein cows suffering from subclinical mastitis in a dairy herd in the state of São Paulo - Brazil, were undergone to PCR-ribotyping and in vitro susceptibility testing to 12 antimicrobial drugs. PCR-ribotyping revealed nine different patterns and presented a higher discriminatory power (D = 0.82) in comparison with the in vitro antibiotic susceptibility test (D = 0.42). Moreover,, the results showed four antibiotic resistance patterns, with the resistance to lincomycin being the most predominant and comprising 19 (24.7%) S. aureus strains. The other 58 (75.3%) isolates were sensitive to all antibiotics tested. Of the 19 isolates which presented resistance to antibiotics, 14 (73.7%) were grouped in three ribotypes, and 13 (92.9%) of them were resistant to eritromycin and/or lincomycin. The large number of ribotypes and antibiotic resistance patterns found in this single dairy herd showed that one must be careful when considering the results of in vitro susceptibility tests obtained from a few S. aureus strains, because there is a high heterogeneity among naturally occurring populations of S. aureus, which must be taken into consideration in control programs against bovine mastitis.

Keywords : mastitis; Staphylococcus aureus; phenotypic and genotypic variabilities.

        · abstract in Portuguese     · text in Portuguese     · Portuguese ( pdf epdf )


Creative Commons License All the contents of this journal, except where otherwise noted, is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution License