Paidéia (Ribeirão Preto)
Print version ISSN 0103-863X
SALLES, Jerusa Fumagalli de; PARENTE, Maria Alice de Mattos Pimenta and FREITAS, Lia Beatriz de Lucca. Children's reading/writing: comparison among groups of different public schools. Paidéia (Ribeirão Preto) [online]. 2010, vol.20, n.47, pp. 335-344. ISSN 0103-863X. http://dx.doi.org/10.1590/S0103-863X2010000300006.
Aiming to define the profile and compare the reading/writing performance of 110 2nd grade children from five public schools, their reading and writing of isolated words/pseudowords and reading comprehension were evaluated. Through cluster analysis, three sub-groups were identified: high (86.36%) reading/writing performance; low (10%) reading/writing performance; and very low (3.64%) reading/writing performance. A total of 15 children (13.64% of the total sample) displayed some difficulty in reading and writing words. The differences in performance were not statistically significant for word reading, though the written performance of children from School 3 was significantly better than that of children from the Schools 1, 2 and 5. Even though all the studied schools were public schools in areas where the low-middle social class predominate, variable reading and writing performance was observed, more expressive in writing and reading comprehension.
Keywords : Reading; writing; schools; comprehension; written language.