SciELO - Scientific Electronic Library Online

 
vol.34 issue4Abnormal transcranial Döppler ultrasonography in children with sickle cell disease author indexsubject indexarticles search
Home Pagealphabetic serial listing  

Services on Demand

Journal

Article

Indicators

Related links

  • On index processCited by Google
  • Have no similar articlesSimilars in SciELO
  • On index processSimilars in Google

Share


Revista Brasileira de Hematologia e Hemoterapia

Print version ISSN 1516-8484

Abstract

SANTOS, Paulo Caleb Júnior de Lima et al. Non-HFE hemochromatosis. Rev. Bras. Hematol. Hemoter. [online]. 2012, vol.34, n.4, pp.311-316. ISSN 1516-8484.  http://dx.doi.org/10.5581/1516-8484.20120079.

Hereditary hemochromatosis (HH) is an autosomal recessive disorder classically related to HFE mutations. However, since 1996, it is known that HFE mutations explain about 80% of HH cases, with the remaining around 20% denominated non-HFE hemochromatosis. Nowadays, four main genes are implicated in the pathophysiology of clinical syndromes classified as non-HFE hemochromatosis: hemojuvelin (HJV, type 2Ajuvenile HH), hepcidin (HAMP, type 2B juvenile HH), transferrin receptor 2 (TFR2, type 3 HH) and ferroportin (SLC40A1, type 4 HH). The aim of this review is to explore molecular, clinical and management aspects of non-HFE hemochromatosis.

Keywords : Hemochromatosis; Iron overload; Iron metabolism disorders.

        · text in English     · English ( pdf epdf )

 

Creative Commons License All the contents of this journal, except where otherwise noted, is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution License