SciELO - Scientific Electronic Library Online

vol.33 issue4Preoperative determination of prostate cancer tumor volume: analysis through biopsy fragmentsDouble-blind randomized placebo-controlled study of bixa orellana in patients with lower urinary tract symptoms associated to benign prostatic hyperplasia author indexsubject indexarticles search
Home Pagealphabetic serial listing  

Services on Demand




Related links


International braz j urol

Print version ISSN 1677-5538On-line version ISSN 1677-6119


KOCHAKARN, Wachira; LERTSITHICHAI, Panuwat  and  PUMMANGURA, Wipaporn. Bladder substitution by ileal neobladder for women with interstitial cystitis. Int. braz j urol. [online]. 2007, vol.33, n.4, pp.486-492. ISSN 1677-5538.

OBJECTIVE: To report our experience with cystectomy and ileal neobladder for women with interstitial cystitis (IC). MATERIALS AND METHODS: Thirty-five female patients treated during 2000-2005 with the mean age of 45.9 ± 4.4 years were included in this study. All of them had experience suprapubic pain with irritative voiding symptoms and were diagnosed as having IC based on NIDDK criteria for at least 2 years. Conservative treatments had failed to relieve their symptoms; and therefore all of them agreed to undergo a bladder removal. For cystectomy, the urethra was cut 0.5 cm below the bladder neck, proximal to the pubourethral ligament, leaving the endopelvic fascia intact. An ileal segment of 65 cm was used to create the neobladder with the Studer's technique. RESULTS: All patients presented good treatment outcome with regard to both diurnal and nocturnal urinary control without any pain. Quality of life using the SF-36 questionnaire showed significant improvement of both physical health and mental health. Spontaneous voiding with minimal residual urine was found in 33 cases (94.3%), and the remaining 2 cases (5.7%) had spontaneous voiding with residual urine and were placed on clean intermittent catheterization (CIC). Twelve out of 30 cases with sexually active ability had a mild degree of dyspareunia but without disturbance to sexual life. CONCLUSION: Bladder substitution by ileal neobladder for women who suffer from IC can be a satisfactory option after failure of conservative treatment. Resection of the urethra distal to the bladder neck can preserve continence and allow spontaneous voiding in almost all patients.

Keywords : interstitial cystitis; surgery; ileum; bladder.

        · text in English     · English ( pdf epdf )


Creative Commons License All the contents of this journal, except where otherwise noted, is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution License