SciELO - Scientific Electronic Library Online

vol.63 issue3Opal phytolith and isotopic studies of "Restinga" communities of Maricá, Brazil, as a modern reference for paleobiogeoclimatic reconstructionPopulation structure and maturity stages of Fritillaria borealis (Appendicularia, Tunicata): seasonal cycle in Ushuaia Bay (Beagle Channel) author indexsubject indexarticles search
Home Pagealphabetic serial listing  

Services on Demand




Related links


Brazilian Journal of Oceanography

Print version ISSN 1679-8759On-line version ISSN 1982-436X


THOMPSON, Gustavo; FORTUNATO, Roberta Callico; CHIESA, Ignacio  and  VOLPEDO, Alejandra. Trophic ecology of Mugil liza at the southern limit of its distribution (Buenos Aires, Argentina). Braz. j. oceanogr. [online]. 2015, vol.63, n.3, pp.271-277. ISSN 1679-8759.

In order to get to know the habitat and feeding habits of Mugil liza on the southern coast of Buenos Aires province, 65 specimens obtained at two sampling sites - the San Blas bay (SBB) and the mouth of the Quequén-Salado river (QSR) - during spring (November 2012) and summer (February 2013) were analyzed. Specimens were measured, sexed and weighed, their stomachs were removed and their stomach contents weighed and analyzed under the stereoscopic microscope. The specimens were adults, 28-49 cm in length and weighing 380-1100 g. Population growth was higher in the SBB (TW: 0.003*TL3.36), than in RQS (TW: 0.045*TL2.61). About 98% of the stomachs had some content, their repletion rate being of between 0.4 and 1.2%. About 75% of the stomachs contained very fine sand with few benthic organisms (algae, copepods, foraminifera), whereas the remaining 25% of stomachs contained coarse sand and a greater presence of benthic fauna (amphipods, bivalves, gastropods and coral organisms). The linear relationship between the weight of stomach contents and the total weight and length of the fish showed that the rates of growth (slope) were the same at both sites, but intercept values were significantly higher for San Blas bay (test parallelism; p < 0.001).

Keywords : Mugil liza; Diet; Organic matter; Sediments.

        · abstract in Portuguese     · text in English     · English ( pdf )