SciELO - Scientific Electronic Library Online

 
vol.61 issue3Tumor-infiltrating CD4+ T lymphocytes in early breast cancer reflect lymph node involvementIsokinetic dynamometry in elderly women undergoing total knee arthroplasty: a comparative study author indexsubject indexarticles search
Home Pagealphabetic serial listing  

Services on Demand

Journal

Article

Indicators

Related links

Share


Clinics

Print version ISSN 1807-5932On-line version ISSN 1980-5322

Abstract

SIRCILI, Maria Helena Palma et al. Anatomical and functional outcomes of feminizing genitoplasty for ambiguous genitalia in patients with virilizing congenital adrenal hyperplasia. Clinics [online]. 2006, vol.61, n.3, pp.209-214. ISSN 1807-5932.  http://dx.doi.org/10.1590/S1807-59322006000300005.

The ideal surgical technique and appropriate age for performing feminizing genitoplasty are debatable, and few long-term outcome studies have been reported. PURPOSE: To report a retrospective study on anatomical and functional outcomes of feminizing genitoplasty in patients with virilizing congenital adrenal hyperplasia. METHODS: We selected 34 patients (mean age = 3.4 ± 2.5 yr) with genital ambiguity classified according to Prader stage. Follow-up ranged from 2 to 16 years. Clitoral length ranged from 1.9 to 5.0 cm; 28 patients had a single perineal orifice, and 6 had a double orifice. The surgical technique included clitorovaginoplasty in a single procedure and was carried out before 2 years of age in 18 patients. Clitoroplasty was performed with glans preservation in all patients. Blood supply was exclusively maintained by the frenular pedicle in 97% of the cases, whereas clitoral dorsal nerves and vessels were preserved in the remaining 3%. The opening of the urogenital sinus was performed using either the Y-V perineal flap procedure (25 patients) or the cut-back incision procedure (8 patients). RESULTS: Good morphological and functional results were achieved in 68% of the patients; 21% of the patients had surgical complications, such as incision bleeding (2 cases), glans necrosis (1 girl with Prader V), and vaginal introitus stenosis (4 cases). Three of the latter underwent dilation with acrylic molds in the post-pubertal period with good functional results. CONCLUSIONS: We conclude that single-stage feminizing genitoplasty consisting of vulvoplasty, clitoroplasty, and Y-V perineal flap produced good cosmetic and functional results in virilized girls with congenital adrenal hyperplasia, with few complications. In addition, this surgical approach prevented the need for neovaginaplasty even in patients with high vaginal insertion.

Keywords : Ambiguous genitalia; Feminizing genitoplasty; Congenital adrenal hyperplasia; Anatomical and functional outcomes.

        · abstract in Portuguese     · text in English     · English ( pdf )

 

Creative Commons License All the contents of this journal, except where otherwise noted, is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution License