SciELO - Scientific Electronic Library Online

vol.15 issue1Food security in households headed by elderly, BrazilImportance given to sex by the elderly in the city of Porto Alegre and association between self-health perception and the feeling of happiness author indexsubject indexarticles search
Home Pagealphabetic serial listing  

Services on Demand




Related links


Revista Brasileira de Geriatria e Gerontologia

Print version ISSN 1809-9823


ELIAS, Rui Gonçalves Marques et al. Functional fitness of elderly practicing aquagym. Rev. bras. geriatr. gerontol. [online]. 2012, vol.15, n.1, pp.79-86. ISSN 1809-9823.

The main objective of this study was to analyze the Functional Fitness of the elderly when practicing aquagym. The study involved the analyses of a group of 18 female individuals with mean age of 65.5± 5.84, practicing aquagym at the Center of Excellence in Physical Activity (CEAF). The range of tests used in this study was taken from the Rikli and Jones Methods (1999) and adapted by Morrow Jr. (2003), and consisted of analyzing the strengths, flexibilities, agility and balance of the upper and lower limbs, taking into consideration their aerobic resistance and body composition. From the results of these tests we can observe that everyone attained an average or above score during elbow contractions, touching toes whilst seated, standing up and walking, and gained low scores when marching statically for two minutes and bending their arms behind their backs. On the BMI (Body Mass Index) tests, 65% of the subjects who were overweight or obese scored lower in comparison to the remaining 35% with normal BMI. Aquagym activities can improve the elderly's functional fitness, especially regarding the flexibility and mobility of upper and lower limbs.

Keywords : Elderly; Motor Activity; Health of the Elderly; Functional Fitness; Aquagym.

        · abstract in Portuguese     · text in Portuguese     · Portuguese ( pdf epdf )


Creative Commons License All the contents of this journal, except where otherwise noted, is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution License