versión impresa ISSN 0006-8705
Bragantia vol.2 no.2 Campinas feb. 1942
Nota sobre a molestia de virus do fumo denominada faixa das nervuras (1)
A. S. Costa.; R. Forster
The present paper deals with the virus disease of the tobacco plant recently described by Kramer & Silberschmidt (12) under the name "faixa das nervuras" (veinbanding).
New host plants are added to the list of suscepts, as follows : Nicotiana repanda Willd., JV. angustifolia (*), N. Gossey Domin, N. Sanderae Hort. ex. W. Watson, N. glutinosa L., N. longiflora Cav., N. paniculata L., Lycopersicon esculentum Mill., L. pimpinellifolium Mill., and Cyphomandra betacea Sendt.
Datura stramonium L., already studied by Kramer & Silberschmidt (12) and Nicotiana glauca Grah., Nicandra physaloides Gaertn., Solanum nodiflorum (**), S. nigrum L., Lactuca sativa L., Brassica oleracea L., Vigna sinensis Endl. var. Black., and Dolichos lablab L., var. purpurens were found not to be susceptible to the virus.
(*) This species was received with this name from the Division of Tobacco and Plant Nutrition, U.S.D.A.
(**) One plant of S. nodiflorum out of 22 which were inoculated gave symptoms of veinbanding. However as no backinoculation was made it can not be stated with certainty if it was truly affected by this virus.
The symptomatology on tobacco described by the above mentioned authors agrees as a whole with which has been observed that is : clearing of the veins, chlorotic spotting and veinbanding. In addition it is stated that the white necrotic spotting found associated with the disease on certain tobacco varieties, v. g. Sumatra and Turkish must be attributed to the same virus.
On potato plants of the varieties President and Green Mountain the virus causes local streak-like symptoms followed by chlorotic mottling of young leaves. Late symptoms take the form of leaf-drop streak.
The virus of "faixa das nervuras" is easily transmissible through the sap giving practically 100% of success. The physical properties of the virus are : tolerance to dilution 1:10.000, thermal death point 54°C. and logevity in vitro 72 hours. No vector of the virus is known.
The statement of Kramer & Silberschmidt (12) that the virus of "faixa das nervuras" belongs to the group of the potato virus Y is confirmed. A discussion is given about the position of the virus within the group. Our results do not permit to state that the virus is more related to the veinbanding virus as claimed by these authors.
It is also pointed out that the differences found in the litterature between the Y and veinbanding viruses are slight, justifying in the maximum the separation of both, but as strains of the same virus.
Texto completo disponível apenas em PDF.
Full text available only in PDF format.
1. Chester, K. Starr. Serological studies of plant viruses. Phytopath. 27: 903-912 1937 [ Links ]
2. Costa, A. S. e J. Franco do Amaral. Nota preliminar sobre uma moléstia das folhas do fumo causada por Bolryobasidium solani (Pril. & Del.) Donk. Revista da Agricultura. Piracicaba. 14: 389-397, fig. 1-9. 1939. [ Links ]
3. Costa, A. S., A. R. Lima, e R. Forster, "Necrose branca", uma moléstia de virus do fumo (Nicotiana tabacum L.) e "fumo couve" como sintoma tardio. Jornal de Agronomia. Piracicaba. 3: 1-26, fig. 1-24. 1940. [ Links ]
4. Costa, A. S. e R. Forster, Identidade do virus de vira-cabeça e sua inclusão no grupo do virus do "spotted wilt". Bragantia. 1: 491-516, fig. 1-19. 1941. [ Links ]
5. Dykstra, T. P. Comparative studies of some european and american potato viruses. Phytopath. 26: 597-606. 1936. [ Links ]
6. Dykstra, T. P. Studies of viruses infecting european and american varieties of the potato Solanum tuberosum. Phytopath. 29: 40-67, fig. 1-7. 1939. [ Links ]
7. Holmes, F. O. Inheritance of ability to localize tobacco-mosaic virus. Phytopath. 24: 984-1002. 1934. [ Links ]
8. Johnson, J. A tobacco hybrid useful for virus studies. American Jour, of Botany. 23: 40-46. 1936. [ Links ]
9. Koch, Karl Lee. The nature of potato rugose mosaic. Phytopath. 23: 319-342, fig. 1-4. 1933. [ Links ]
10. Koch, Karl Lee e J. Johnson, A comparision of foreign and american viruses. Ann. Appl. Biol. 22: 37-54, pi. 3-5. 1935. [ Links ].
11. Kohler, E. Uber ein "Veinbanding-Virus" der Kartoffel. Phytopath. Zeitschr. 10: 17-29. 1937. [ Links ]
12. Kramer, M. Karl e Silberschmidt. A "faixa das nervuras", uma doença de virus do fumo encontrada no Estado de S. Paulo. Arquivos do Instituto Biológico. 11: 165-187, Est. 39-41. 1940. [ Links ]
13. Lima, A. R. e A. S. Costa. Variedades de fumo resistentes a vira-cabeça. Revista da Agricultura. Piracicaba. 15:133-140, fig. 1-2. 1940. [ Links ]
14. Smith, K. M. On the composite nature of certain potato virus diseases of the mosaic group. Proc. Roy. Soe. B. 109:251-267. 1931. [ Links ]
15. Smith, K. M. Em Recent advances in the study of plant viruses. J. & A .Churchill. London. 1933. [ Links ]
16. Smith, K. M. Em Textbook of plant virus diseases. P. Blackiston's Son. & Co. Philadelphia. 1937. [ Links ]
17. Valleau, W. D. e E. M. Johnson, Relation of some tobacco viruses to potato degeneration. Kentuchy Agri. Exp. Sta. Bull. 309:475-507, fig. 1-5. 1930. [ Links ]
18. Valleau, W. D. e E. M. Johnson,^ Tobacco diseases. Kentucky Agri. Exp Sta. Bull. 362: 1-62, fig. 1-28. 1936. [ Links ]
(1) O manuscrito deste trabalho foi apresentado ao dr. Karl Silberschmidt que sugeriu algumas modificações, pelas quais deixamos aquí o nosso agradecimento.