Print version ISSN 0100-2945
Rev. Bras. Frutic. vol.32 no.3 Jaboticabal Sept. 2010
Bound for our deserved "A" Qualis-Capes
Thanks to the authors' confidence to delegate the RBF the mission to disseminate to the scientific community theirs scientific contributions, it has been received up to September 2010, 197 articles, together with the collaboration of our magnificent board of advisors (960) from all Brazilian states and several from renowned international institutions, plus the support of the Councils, Commissions, SBF Board, team of direct advisors and employees, our journal has won in the recent evaluation of QUALIS-CAPES, the B1 concept. We're on the top of the classification and next to the best Brazilian journals in the Agricultural Science Area. The RBF was indexed in the ISI since 2007, receiving in September 2010 the first evaluation from the year 2009, which considered some performance parameters of the RBF Magazine from the last two years, i.e. 2008 and 2007.
As our goal now is to conquer the A concept, it will be highlight some points of this assessment and the arrangements made to achieve in a short term, this objective, which, however, to be reached, needs to attend the demands of our indexers who establish:
1) To obtain the A2 concept, according to QUALIS-CAPES, it is necessary that the IMPACT FACTOR be greater than 0.7.
2) For the A1 concept, it is necessary that this factor be greater than 1.3.
3) Another important point is the IMMEDIACY INDEX. For example: to compose the September 2010 edition of the RBF, how many articles of the years 2010, 2009, 2008, etc.. were cited in the references? The newer the articles used, the better the index.
4) Completing the list of demands it is calculated the Citation Index, i.e. the RBF (Self Citation), considering the number of times the articles published in the RBF were used in the own RBF.
The results obtained in the recent evaluation showed that:
A)The IMPACT FACTOR OF THE RBF for 2009, calculated in terms of data from the 2008 and 2007 editions, obtained by the ratio between the number of articles used by the RBF, from journals indexed in the ISI divided by the total number of articles in these respective years. The result was equal to 0.265, as shown below:
B) IMMEDIACY INDEX = 0.006 (showing that we need to make efforts to use the most recent citations to improve this value).
C) SELF CITATION = 37% (it is good to quote the RBF, but not too much. The ideal is to be around 15%). D) IMPACT FACTOR, WITH NO SELF CITATION = 0.167.
E) NUMBER OF PUBLISH ARTICLES: Among the top 30 Journals published worldwide in the category of Fruitculture in the ISI, the RBF presented in 2009, l62 published articles. We will list the top journals by the number of articles published.
1st - SCI HORT AMESTAM with 361 articles and occupying the 8º by Impact Factor (F1). 2nd - HORTSCIENCE with 292 articles and 15º by FI,
3rd - THEOR APPL GENET with Article 267 while occupying the 1st place by the impact factor.
4th – RBF Following the RBF with 162 articles, but occupying the 27th position by the impact factor index. It was observed that the number of articles published in the RBF occupy the 4th position, indicating that we need to focus better on the utilization of references from indexed journals, that we understand it is not always possible, but we are already making progress in this area.
6) RBF RANKING We are classified in the ISI in the HORTICULTURE category, occupying the 27th position in order of impact factor among the journals indexed in this category in the world, which shows that we are growing, and in the next evaluation it will surely occupy a most prominent position, with the collaboration of all of you. The number of journals indexed in the ISI reached the impressive number of 7,347 journals, covering all categories, and in Brazil there are only 65 Journals and the RBF, is with pride one of them. Measures to be taken:
1) Prior assessment of the articles submitted for publication in the RBF, measuring the indices mentioned above, with the return of the articles to the authors, when appropriate, for adequacy. The results show significant improvement in these values. 2) 'Ahead of Print'- With the support of SciELO, we are offering on the web page www.scielo.br , articles already approved, which remain online, before the final on paper magazine is ready, which increases the exposure time of the articles. We would like to inform that the RBF December 2010 issue is already complete, and the format of "Ahead of Print" will be available soon.
3) The English version- It is our goal to make the English version of the articles and provide them online when referral to SciELO. We have a team of translators perfectly tuned, waiting only the financial project, which will be discussed during the Congress in Natal. This means that in SciELO, the articles might be available in Portuguese and also in an English version. 4) Discussion of the RBF at a roundtable during the XXI Brazilian Congress of Fruitculture to be held in Natal - RN, during October 16th to 22nd, 2010, when we hope to receive suggestions from our members.
We would like to thank the authors, who believe in this project. Together we will achieve our deserved A, whereas the support received, as evidenced by the increasing flow of articles submitted to the RBF from all the Brazilian states and numerous from international organizations. We hope that the new Board that will assume the destiny of the Brazilian Society of Fruitculture, continue to give the overdue support to the RBF.
A happy Congress!
Jaboticabal September 30, 2010.
Prof. Carlos Ruggiero.