SciELO - Scientific Electronic Library Online

vol.44 issue4O novo processo eletrônico de editoração do JBPML author indexsubject indexarticles search
Home Pagealphabetic serial listing  

Services on Demand




Related links


Jornal Brasileiro de Patologia e Medicina Laboratorial

Print version ISSN 1676-2444On-line version ISSN 1678-4774

J. Bras. Patol. Med. Lab. vol.44 no.4 Rio de Janeiro Aug. 2008 



School of medicine and surgery of Rio de Janeiro




The medicine history of Brazil cannot be told without giving righteous credit to medical schools that, established here, allowed the development of medical science and the formation of thousands of specialists. In this series here initiated, we arrive at the fourth school founded in Brazil: Escola de Medicina e Cirurgia (EMC) of what today is Universidade Federal do Estado do Rio de Janeiro (UNIRIO).

Everything began in 1859 with the creation of Instituto Hahnelmanniano by an imperial decree. It was a civil society with scientific-cultural character in favor of homeopathy. In 1880 the institute underwent reform in which, along with other changes, the creation of a homeopathy school was planned. In 1911, Law Rivadávia Correa reformed higher education, stimulating the creation of private colleges and the favorable environment to the creation of Faculdade de Medicina Homeopática do Brazil in the same year. The college would form pharmacists, dental surgeons, nurse midwives and physicians.

Although it had been created in earlier months, April 10th, 1912 became a symbolic date of its foundation, paying homage to Samuel Hahnelmann. In 1914 the first diploma of the college was emitted, conferred to a pharmacist who had already attended some disciplines.

The first group of physicians was graduated in 1918 but needed to wait up to 1921 to be recognized, because only then there was official recognition of the emitted diplomas.

In 1924, the fourth institution of medical education of Brazil came to be called Escola de Medicina e Cirurgia do Instituto Hahnelmanniano. In 1940 the construction project of a new school complex was approved and so was the disengagement from Instituto Hahnelmanniano.

In 1959 EMC made an accord with Fundação Gafrée e Guinle for using part of its hospital building. In August 25th, 1961, Hospital Gafrée e Guinle was dispossessed, becoming the hospital school of the institution. After more than 40 years, the partnership between EMC and Hospital Gafrée registers great victories, from the fight against prejudice and opposition to homeopathy to the reference position the institution nowadays has in the treatment of patients with acquired immunodeficiency syndrome (AIDS).

Creative Commons License All the contents of this journal, except where otherwise noted, is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution License