Services on Demand
- Cited by SciELO
- Access statistics
- Cited by Google
- Similars in SciELO
- Similars in Google
Print version ISSN 1808-8694
Braz. j. otorhinolaryngol. vol.78 no.4 São Paulo July/Aug. 2012
LETTER TO THE EDITOR
Mehmet Fatih SönmezI; Esra BalciogluII; Saim OzdamarIII; Birkan YakanIII
IAssistant Professor (Lecturer)
Keywords: rats, taste buds, tongue.
Numerous irregularities and mucosal bumps, known as tongue papillae, cover the dorsal surface of the anterior tongue region, all the way to the sulcus terminalis. There are four types of papillae, divided into: filiform, fungiform, circumvallate and foliated. Taste buds, which appear as oval shapes which look pale in histology sections, are present in the fungiform, foliated and circumvallate papillae, but not in the filiform1-4.
We were very excited to read the recent paper from Abreu et al. called "Histological and ultrastructural aspects of the tongue in undernourished rats5", showing that protein-energy malnutrition does not change the tongue mucosa of adult rats.
In the study from Abreu et al.5, vol. 72 nº 4, p. 523-7, the legend in Figure 3 reads: "Fungiform and filiform papillae, over which are the taste buds". However, filiform papillae do not have taste buds6. I would like to add that it may be useful to use arrows or asterisks to identify the structures in the pictures.
1. Hamamichi R, Asano-Miyoshi M, Emori Y. Taste bud contains both short-lived and long-lived cell populations. Neuroscience. 2006;141(4):2129-38. [ Links ]
2. Miller IJ Jr, Smith DV. Quantitative taste bud distribution in the hamster. Physiol Behav. 1984;32(2):275-85. [ Links ]
3. Liu HC, Lee JC. Scanning electron microscopic and histochemical studies of foliate papillae in the rabbit, rat and mouse. Acta Anat (Basel). 1982;112(4):310-20. [ Links ]
4. Davies RO, Kare MR, Cagan RH. Distribution of taste buds on fungiform and circumvallate papillae of bovine tongue. Anat Rec. 1979;195(3):4436. [ Links ]
5. Abreu MAMM, Weckx LLM, Hirata CHW. Histological and ultrastructural aspects of the tongue in undernourished rats. Braz J Otorhinolaryngol. 2006;72(4):523-7. [ Links ]
6. Ross MH, Kaye GI, Pawlina W. Histology: A Test and Atlas with cell and molecular biology. 4th ed. Baltimore: Lippincott Williams & Wilkins; 2003. p.434-74. [ Links ]
Send correspondence to: Paper submitted to the BJORL-SGP (Publishing Management System - Brazilian Journal of Otorhinolaryngology) on December 17, 2007;
and accepted on March 07, 2008. cod. 5631
Mehmet Fatih Sönmez
Department of Histology and Embryology, Faculty of Medicine, Erciyes University
38039 Kayseri, Turkey
Tel: (+90) 352 - 4374901 x 23356. Fax: (+90) 352 - 4375285
Send correspondence to:
Paper submitted to the BJORL-SGP (Publishing Management System - Brazilian Journal of Otorhinolaryngology) on December 17, 2007; and accepted on March 07, 2008. cod. 5631