Therapeutic properties of propolis for treatment of skin lesions

This integrative literature review aimed to analyze the findings of studies that focused on the therapeutic properties of propolis for treatment of skin lesions. Studies were obtained through literature searches using LILACS, MEDLINE, and BDENF databases. The search was limited to publications in Portuguese, English, or Spanish languages from 1980 to 2007. Initially, 1127 publications were identified. However, only 38 publications met the study inclusion criteria. Seven publications (18.42%) were clinical studies and remainder of the 31 publications (81.58%) used "in vitro" or with animal experiments. These publications were focused on the therapeutic properties of propolis in wound healing and on the antimicrobial properties of propolis. Findings suggested the effectiveness of propolis for treating skin lesions, acting as a natural healing and antimicrobial agent whose therapeutic properties depends on the form and place of extraction and concentration of the product.

Propolis; Wound healing


Escola Paulista de Enfermagem, Universidade Federal de São Paulo R. Napoleão de Barros, 754, 04024-002 São Paulo - SP/Brasil, Tel./Fax: (55 11) 5576 4430 - São Paulo - SP - Brazil
E-mail: actapaulista@unifesp.br