The journal Brazilian Journal of Poultry Science is a peer-review journal published with the coordination of the Publishing Committee of the Foundation of Poultry Science and Technology - FACTA.
Its abbreviated title is Braz. J. Poultry Sci., and it should be used in bibliographies, footnotes, references and bibliographic strips.
All content of the journal, except where identified, is licensed under a Creative Commons attribution-type BY.
The publication of this journal is financially supported by:
Biochemistry and Cell Biology
Construction, Environment, and Welfare
Production and Management
Immunology, Poultry Diseases, and Control
Laying Hens and Quail Production
Physiology, Genetics, Reproduction, and Incubation
Technology, Processing and Food Safety
Publishing and graphic production
Scope and policy
The publication of the Brazilian Journal of Poultry Science is coordinated by the Publishing Committee of FACTA (APINCO Foundation of Poultry Science and Technology). All published research data and conclusions are of authors’ full responsibility.
The Brazilian Journal of Poultry Science is published quarterly and the journal will consider for publication only original research material relevant to the field of poultry science. Considered subject areas will include: Immunology, Biochemistry and Cellular Biology, Housing and Environment, Wasting Control, Avian Diseases, Nutrition, Genetic Improvement, Physiology and Breeding, Management, Egg Production, Meat Technology, and Wild and Exotic Birds and Quail Production.
The journal´s main objective is to publish complete scientific and technical papers as well as literature reviews in the area of poultry science written by researchers and poultry science specialists. Authors wishing to submit a review, guest editorial or technical review should contact the journal´s editor.
All submitted manuscripts are evaluated in a blind peer-review, and in a total confidential and impartial way. Manuscripts should be submitted in the English language only.
Submission of a manuscript to the Brazilian Journal of Poultry Science implies that:
The manuscript and other correspondence should be sent preferentially by e-mail.
The Journal uses the software Grammarly/Plagiarism for identifying plagiarism.
The process of review of manuscripts adopted by the journal is blind peer review.
Preparing the manuscript
Full length article
It should contain the results of original research which contributes in a relevant way to the development of poultry science. If part of the results has been published previously as a summary or short paper in scientific events, it must be stated. Priority will be given to manuscript presenting new concepts, methodologies or innovative experimental approaches.
The manuscript should have the following sections:
The sections Results and Discussion can be presented jointly if preferred. The Abstract should contain up to 250 (two hundred and fifty) words, followed by the key words in alphabetic order, limited to 5 (five) words which correspond to words or expressions that identify the contents of the article.
Short communications and Case Reports should have the same layout as full length papers, including the headings (Introduction, Abstract, Material and Methods, Result, Discussion, Acknowledgments and References). They should be presented in a text with up to 1000 words (plus Abstract and References) and should contain no more than three tables and/or figures.
Technical articles should present the development of new methodologies and/or techniques that can be applied to improve poultry production. These should follow the editorial norms including all sections of the scientific article.
Guest Editorial and Invited Review
Both Guest Editorial and Invited Review will be published by invitation only. The review should follow the norms of the scientific article without the sub-items of Material and Methods, Results and Discussion and preserving all others present in a full length manuscript.
The BJPS does not charge to submit the article. We only charge if the article is approved for publication. The author(s) will be charged US$ 500,00 (five hundred dollars) per edited article, and the payment should be made before publication. No reprints will be supplied to authors as the articles are shown at www.scielo.br/rbca
Layout of the articles
1. Cover Page: all manuscripts should have a cover page with the title, complete name(s) of the author(s) and institution of origin. A footnote mentioning the complete address (e-mail is essential) of the author to whom correspondence should be addressed.
2. Tables: must be numbered consecutively with Arabic numerals in the text. Tables must have a descriptive title. All explanatory information should be given in a footnote below the table. All abbreviations must be defined in this footnote, even if they are explained in the text. Tables must be understandable without referring to the text.
3. Illustrations (photographs, graphs, drawings): must be numbered consecutively with Arabic numerals. All figures should be submitted on separate pages with the title of the article, name(s) of the author(s) and indication of the part of the text where they should appear.
4. Units: the International Metric System must be used for units and abbreviations.
5. References: these should be arranged in alphabetic order by the author’s last name. The complete title of the journal should be mentioned. All authors of the article must be cited.
Bakst MR, Gupta K, Akuffo V. Comparative development of the turkey and chicken embryo from cleavage through hypoblast formation. Poultry Science 1997; 76(1):83-90.
Bouzoubaa K, Nagaraja KV. Epidemiological studies on the incidence of salmonellosis in chicken breeder/hatchery operations in Marocco. In: Snoeyenbos GH, editor. Proceedings of the International Symposium on Salmonella;1984; Kenneth Square,PA: American Association Avian Pathologists; 1985. p.337.
Briceno WNO, Guimarães FCR, Cruz FGG. Efeitos da densidade populacional de frangos de corte em época quente no município de Manaus. In: 10o Congresso Brazileiro de Avicultura; 1987; Natal, Rio Grande do Norte. Brazil. p. 131-2.
Gabriel JE. Efeitos do nível energético da ração e do estresse térmico na expressão da proteína de choque térmico Hsp70 e nos níveis do seu mRNA no fígado de frangos de corte em diferentes estágios de desenvolvimento. [Dissertation]. Jaboticabal (SP): Universidade Estadual Paulista; 1996.
Ginsburg M. Primordial germ cell development in avians. Poultry Science 1997; 76(1):91-5.
Simon VA, Oliveira C. Vacinação em avicultura através da água de bebida. In: Macari M, editor. Água na avicultura industrial. Jaboticabal: Funep-Unesp; 1996. p. 73-85.
Summers JD, Leeson S. Commercial poultry nutrition. 2 ed. New York; N.Y / State Manual Book & Periodical Services; 1997.
6. Quotations in the text: state the last name of the author followed by the year in parenthesis. In the case of two authors both should be stated. In the case of more than two authors the quotation should be given by the last name of the first author followed by the expression et al. (in italic).
7. Scientific names of microorganisms: must follow Berg´s Manual recommendation.
8. Manuscript Proof: will be sent to the corresponding author, who should be identified on the cover page of the manuscript. Corrected proof should return within three days, preferable by fax. The Editor reserves the right to forward the manuscript to press without submitting the final proof to the author. The Editor shall not be hold responsible for any mistakes shown in the final publication.
9. Offsprints: There is no free offsprints. They can be provided after Editor consultation.
10. Copyright: it is a condition of publication that the authors issue copyright of their article to FACTA. Authors may use the article after the publication without prior permission from FACTA, provided that acknowledgement is given to the journal as its original source of publication. Authors are responsible for obtaining permission to reproduce in the text copyright material from other sources.
11. Submission: manuscript should be submitted via ScholarOne.