ISSN 1806-9584 online version
Scope and policy
Revista Estudos Feministas is an indexed quarterly journal that circulates both nationally and internationally, aiming to disseminate scientifically original texts in Portuguese, Spanish, and English languages, in the form of articles, essays and reviews on gender and feminisms that can be either relating to a particular discipline or interdisciplinary in its methodology, theory and literature. The published articles contribute to the study of gender issues, and derive from different disciplines: sociology, anthropology, history, literature, cultural studies, political science, medicine, psychology, feminist theory, semiotics, demography, communication, psychoanalysis, among others.
It works in a regime of institutional rotation since 1992 and was first published by the Interdisciplinary Coordination of Contemporary Studies of the School of Communication of the Federal University of Rio de Janeiro. Later, the Graduate Program in Social Sciences and the Institute of Philosophy and Social Sciences, Federal University of Rio de Janeiro took responsibility for editing the Journal. Since 1999, the Center of Philosophy and Human Sciences and the Communication Center and Expression of the Federal University of Santa Catarina hosts the journal. Currently, it is incorporated to the Institute of Gender Studies, an organ that brings together researchers from different disciplines [areas of knowledge and activity] of UFSC, which have feminist studies and gender perspectives as common denominators.
Revista Estudos Feministas conducts “double-blind” review, i.e., neither the name of the author (or authors), or the name of the reviewers are revealed to each other, and it does not accept articles and texts that are already being considered for other publications or have already been published elsewhere. For any doubts or more information about our editorial procedures, please contact by email: email@example.com.
Revista Estudos Feministas will pass all articles submitted to the journal for publication by a plagiarism recognition tool.
Composition of the journal
The different sections of the journal are composed of articles (including a maximum of two translations), thematic articles, essays, interviews, dossiers, thematic section, section debate and reviews.
The articles will contain results analysis of empirical studies or will address theoretical and methodological issues, obeying rules and criteria already established by the academic culture.
The Thematic Articles comprise a set of articles already evaluated and accepted for publication that are coincidentally related to the same subject. One or more publishers and/or universities are invited to organize and present them according to their research interests and familiarity with the subject in the articles already approved by ad hoc reviewers [referees]. Articles should be of academic-scientific nature, resulting of empirical or theoretical research that contributes to the field of feminist studies and/or gender.
The Point of View section consists of essays and interviews. The Essays derive from reflections on a particular topic, presented in a more flexible and open manner. The Interviews, which will be published in a format compatible with its publication, may be performed either by the journal’s board, scholars, politically engaged people or other professionals whose contribution are relevant to the development of the subject.
The Thematic Section results from a proposal of an organizer, that can be external of a member of the journal’s board, that would call for the production of academic papers on feminist and gender studies, for publication scheduled with the editorial board, which, like all other articles published in this journal, should be submitted to the evaluation of external reviewers.
The Dossiers should contain articles on current and controversial issues that contribute to the epistemological and political debate in the field. It should be coordinated by a professional or professionals with recognized expertise on the theme proposed for the section and will be submitted for consideration of the dossiers’ editorial board and also by the editorial coordination. The texts constitute a set of works on topic associated with political and social movements, inside or outside academy, selected and organized by the coordinator of the dossier. The work may include, in addition to articles and essays, many other textual categories, such as statements, descriptions, proposals, manifestos, case studies, in short, without necessarily suiting the academic and scientific standards as it is mostly focused on politically engaged organizations.
The Debate section is dedicated to revisiting or introducing a relevant topic in women’s studies or gender, through the republication of a seminal or controversial article, followed by comments and reviews by experts in the field. It is organized by the editors of the section, which are responsible for their evaluation.
The Reviews section will publish critical comments, evaluated by the reviews’ editorial board, on relevant work in the field published in Brazil in the last two years or abroad in the last four years.
Revista Estudos Feministas offers authors / authors the opportunity to present their article for publication in English, provided the translation is done by a sworn translator or by the team indicated by the journal. The costs of the translation process must be borne by the authors.
The texts undergo a preliminary examination, after which they will be returned to the author with comments or sent directly to external peers. This review is an initial assessment to see whether the text is in accordance with the journal’s guidelines; whether is constitutes a unique and innovative article that reflect the great theoretical, methodological, disciplinary, interdisciplinary and geographic diversity of the national research in this field; and whether an external evaluation is justified. Considering the recent increase in the number of submissions, the goal of the publishers is to complete this process of initial review and return to the author as quickly as possible.
The texts are sent to two ad hoc expert reviewers on the subject addressed by the author. If there is a disparity in opinions, a third reviewer should be called to evaluate the article. If the differences are not overcome, the editors should issue the final opinion.
If the external reviews are favorable, the text will be accepted under the condition that the author adequately addresses the issues raised by the reviewers. The article should be resubmitted in a maximum of 30 days, highlighting the changes made. When the author resends the text later, it will be examined by the articles editor and, if necessary, by at least one of the original ad hoc referees. This process is done to see if the suggested modifications have been handled properly. If both reports are positive, the manuscript will be accepted for publication.
Non-acceptance and resubmission
A text may be rejected after the initial evaluation, or peer evaluation, and also after review and resubmission of the work within the stipulated deadline. If ad hoc reviewers indicate the need for a substantial revision, the work will be rejected. If the opinions of reviewers are generally favorable, but there is the need for a substantial revision before the text is accepted, the work will be returned to the author/s with the recommendation that it needs to be modified and resubmitted after the issues raised by the reviewers is resolved. In the case the paper is re-submitted, the author/s must inform in the presentation letter that another version of the article has already been reviewed by the journal.
Deadline for publication
The period between the reception of the final manuscript containing all the modifications required for acceptance and the publication of the article may be of around two or three issues (i.e. eight months to one year).
Instructions for author/s
How and where to send
All materials must be submitted electronically via the website: http://www.periodicos.ufsc.br/index.php/ref through the SEER platform.
Documents for online submission
For online submission of the manuscript it is mandatory to fill out the following forms, which must be entered in the system in the supplementary document field:
Guidelines for preparing the text for blind review
Revista Estudos Feministas’ policy is to perform “double-blind” reviews, i.e., neither the name of the author (or authors), nor the name of the peers should be revealed to each other. This is essential to ensure thorough and in-depth opinions on the reported research.
Therefore, when preparing the electronic submission of materials for evaluation, the editorial board asks the author to take a few minutes to check the text and, where appropriate, do the following:
• omit your name and the institution on the title page, headers and footers;
Guidelines for drafting of texts
2. To meet the journal's graphic design, the titles should fit in the top of the page. Titles should be short, inspirational and attractive. Cutouts and larger specifications should go in the introductory paragraph.
Original title - A Corte chega a Desterro: a visita de Dom Pedro II à capital da Província de Santa Catarina. How it should be - A Corte chega a Desterro.
3. Articles should be up to 9,000 words or 45,000 characters (approximately 25 pages, A4), including references, notes and tables. It must be accompanied by summary and abstract (maximum 10 lines) and keywords (maximum 5) in Portuguese and English. It is also requested the translation of the title into English.
4. The essays should be up to 6,000 words, or 30,000 characters, and reviews 5-10 thousand characters, including spaces.
5. The following items should be observed in the preparation of texts:
• double quotes for quotations up to three lines;
(FONSECA, 2000, p. 23-24.);
• the first mention of each author cited in the text should also bear the first name. Example: (Claudia FONSECA, 2000, p. 12);
Fonseca, CLAUDIA. (and not FONSECA, C.)
7. References shall meet the following criteria:
• Book: WORK AUTHOR’S LAST NAME, First names. Title of work: subtitle. Place of Publication: Publisher, year of publication.
FONSECA, Claudia. Família, fofoca e honra: etnografia de relações de gênero e violência em grupos populares. Porto Alegre: Editora da UFRGS, 2000.
• Book chapter: CHAPTER AUTHOR’S LAST NAME, First names. “Chapter title: subtitle”. In: WORK AUTHOR’S LAST NAME, First names. Title of work: subtitle. Place of Publication: Publisher, year of publication. First and last page of the chapter.
HEILBORN, Maria Luiza. “Gender: A structuralist look.” In: PEDRO, Joana; GROSSI, Miriam (Eds.). Male, female, plural: gender in the interdisciplinarity. Florianópolis: Publisher Women, 1998. p. 43.55.
8. Journal article: ARTICLE AUTHOR’S LAST NAME, First names. “Article title: subtitle”. Journal title, city, volume number, issue number, first and last page of the article, month and year.
ROSEMBERG, Fulvia. “Education, income, racial and gender discrimination.” Journal of Pedagogical Studies, Brasília, vol. 68, no. 159, p. 324-355, May/Aug. 1987.
• Dissertations and Theses: AUTHOR’S LAST NAME, First names. Title of work: subtitle. Year presentation. Category (Degree and Concentration Area) - Institution, city, state, country.
DINIZ, Carmen Simone G. Entre a técnica e os direitos humanos: possibilidades e limites da humanização da assistência ao parto. 2001. Tese (Doutorado em Medicina Preventiva) – Programa de Pós-Graduação em Medicina Preventiva, Faculdade de Medicina da USP, São Paulo, São Paulo, Brasil.
• Papers presented at scientific events: WORK AUTHOR’S LAST NAME, First names. “Title of work”. In: NAME OF THE EVENT, event edition number, city where the event was held, sponsor institution. Anais ... (or Proceedings ... or summaries ...) Place of publication: Publisher, year of publication. First and last page of the job.
PRADO, Danda. “Maternidade: opção ou fatalidade?” In: SEMINÁRIO SOBRE DIREITOS DA REPRODUÇÃO HUMANA, 1., 1985, Rio de Janeiro, ALERJ. Anais... Rio de Janeiro: ALERJ/Comissão Especial dos Direitos da Reprodução, 1985. p. 26-29.
• Publication in electronic means:
FREITAS, Lucas Bueno de; LUZ, Nanci Stancki da. “Gênero, Ciência e Tecnologia: estado da arte a partir de periódicos de gênero*”. Cad. Pagu [online]. Campinas, 2017, n.49, e174908. Disponible en: <http://www.scielo.br/scielo.php?script=sci_arttext&pid=S0104-83332017000100304&lng=pt&nrm=iso>. Epub 13/03/2017. ISSN 1809-4449. http://dx.doi.org/10.1590/18094449201700490008. Acceso el 09/10/2017.
1. It is the author’s (or authors’) responsibility to manage the procedures of the reproduction rights in the case of inserting images (photos, pictures, paintings etc.) to articles and essays. The final approval of the text will depend on the resolution of these procedures.
2. The figures, graphics and images must be sent in JPG format and TIFF format, with 300 dpis. All material must come in a separate file from the text and with title, source and observations outside the image. Materials outside these specifications may not be used..
3. The tables should come in text form (without footnote insertion inside the table) and in TIFF format image and 300 dpi resolution.
4. The number of tables, charts, maps, photos, etc., should be kept up to the limit of five in total, per article. Whenever possible, detach them from a specific paragraph so as to allow some flexibility in the layout of the text and images on the page. However, there must be somewhere in the text the bold indication of the image or table for the cross reference. The maximum table size on the page will be 13 x 17 cm, vertical position. Avoid large tables with many cells and / or lots of text per cell. They do not fit on the pages and the text may be unreadable.
5. The images, tables, graphs must have title and indication of possible place of insertion.
Reviews preparation guidelines
1. Reviews should be around 2,000 words.
2. The books reviewed should be related to the subject of feminisms and/or gender and should be preferably recent: last four years for publications abroad and two years for national publication or translation in Brazil.
3. Review must contain:
• title (different from the reviewed book’s title);
4. The reviewer should also send his mini biography (5-7 lines of text) and fill in the metadata submission in the system.
Guidelines for author/s of interviews
1. Interviews should be preceded by a short text, prepared by the author (or authors) of the interviews, contextualizing its theme and the situation in which they were carried out in order to capture the interest for reading the interviews.
2. Should contain short questions, preferably one sentence only. It should be clear that the space is to be occupied by the interviewee, not the interviewer. If the question is effectively made longer, it must be edited.
3. Answers that are either too long or that includes distinct themes can be divided during the editing process.
4. Answers to similar themes appearing in distinct moments of the interview can be edited in order to present a better linkage.
5. After completion of the interview, the spelling of cited names should be checked and the references must be complete.
6. Whenever possible, send the transcript of the interview for the endorsement by the interviewee before submitting to the interview editorial board.
Authors who publish in this journal agree with the following terms:
a. Authors retain copyright and grant the journal the right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution License that allows sharing the work with recognition of its initial publication in this journal.
b. Authors are able to take on additional contracts separately, with non-exclusive distribution of the version of the paper published in this journal (ex.: publish in institutional repository or as a book), with an acknowledgment of its initial publication in this journal.
c. Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g.: in institutional repositories or on their website) at any point before or during the editorial process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as increase the impact and the citation of published work (See The Effect of Open Access).
[Home] [Acerca de esta revista] [Cuerpo editorial] [Subscripción]
Todo el contenido de la revista, excepto dónde está identificado, está bajo una Licencia Creative Commons
Centro de Filosofia e Ciências Humanas
Universidade Federal de Santa Catarina
Campus Universitário - Trindade
88040-970 Florianópolis SC - Brasil
Tel.: (55 48) 331-8211 / Fax: (55 48) 331-9751