SciELO - Scientific Electronic Library Online

 
vol.22 issue4Effectiveness of the echoendoscopic puncture in the diagnosis of solid pancreatic massDietary polydextrose increases calcium absorption in normal rats author indexsubject indexarticles search
Home Pagealphabetic serial listing  

Services on Demand

Journal

Article

Indicators

Related links

Share


ABCD. Arquivos Brasileiros de Cirurgia Digestiva (São Paulo)

Print version ISSN 0102-6720

Abstract

AQUINO, Jose Luis Braga de et al. Esophageal reconstruction by esophagocoloplasty for megaesophagus end-stage in gastrectomized patients. ABCD, arq. bras. cir. dig. [online]. 2009, vol.22, n.4, pp.197-200. ISSN 0102-6720.  http://dx.doi.org/10.1590/S0102-67202009000400003.

BACKGROUND: Esophagocoloplasty in advanced chagasic megaesophagus is seldom necessary. But, when realized, brings with it a major incidence of complications. AIM: To verify the complications following esophagus reconstruction by esophagocoloplasty in patients with previous gastrectomy submitted to transmediastinal esophagectomy for chagasic megaesophagus end-stage. METHODS: From July 1983 to April 2009, 204 patients with chagasic megaesophagus stage III and IV were submitted to esophageal resection at the Surgery Department at the Hospital Celso Pierro Puc-Campinas, Brasil. Ninety-two patients had the procedure done by esophageal mucosectomy; 84 under-went a transhiatal esophagectomy and in 38, esophagectomies were done through a transthoracic approach. In 194 patients (95%) the reconstruction was done by gastric interposition and in the 10 remaining patients (5%) it was by transposition of the transverse colon. This procedure was recommend due to previous gastrectomy done in all patients. All of them were male with average age of 47.5 years old. RESULTS: Seven patients (70%) developed one or more complications, either systemic or local. Among the systemic complications, one patient had thrombophlebitis in the lower extremity, with good recovery; one had a myocardial infarction with fatal evolution; three patients (30%) had pulmonary infection with good recovery. Amongst the local complications, four patients had cervical anastomotic leak with satisfactory recovery with conservative treatment. Five had cervical anastomotic stricture between the 35th and the 63rd post-operative day, with good recovery after endoscopic anastomotic dilatations. From the eight patients followed during this period, six (75%) had good deglutition for solids and/or semi-solids, and satisfied with the surgery since were able to return to their regular diet. CONCLUSIONS: Despite the fact that the esophagocoloplasty results in a good deglutition and quality of life, in short and medium terms, it must be considered a surgical technic with high morbidity in gastrectomized patients.

Keywords : Esophageal reconstruction; Chagasic megaesophagus; Esophagocoloplasty.

        · abstract in Portuguese     · text in Portuguese     · Portuguese ( pdf )

 

Creative Commons License All the contents of this journal, except where otherwise noted, is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution License