Scope and Policy
Educação & Realidade accepts for publication articles related to education, resulting from theoretical studies, research, reflections on concrete practices or polemical and up to date debates in the area. The text, in Portuguese, Spanish or English, must be unpublished. Research reports should be turned into texts for publication in a scientific journal, following the standards of Educação & Realidade.
The selection of articles for publication takes into consideration whether the text is a contribution to education within the limits of the editorial guidelines of the journal, the originality of the theme or the treatment of the subject, the consistency and accuracy of the theoretical approach as well as the general quality of the text. The review process of articles submitted to Educação & Realidade follows this process:
a) Analysis on the form: at this stage, articles are examined by at least two of the editors and are assessed for their compliance with the general criteria and the editorial line of Educação & Realidade. Papers are rejected if they: 1) are experience reports; 2) are configured solely as literature review; 3) are a part of a dissertation or thesis without proper adaptation; 4) are a project or research report; 5) do not present a sufficiently thorough analysis of the issue which is presented in the paper; 6) do not have theoretical or methodological consistency; 7) do not have the field of education as a central axis of the discussion; 8) have grammatical errors or problems in the structure of the text; 9) are merely descriptive and do not present an analysis of the issues being presented; 10) do not have the form of a scientific article; 11) do not meet standards of Educação & Realidade for article submissions (formatting, citations, references...); 12) do not show results, formulations or conclusions that represents improvements to the present knowledge in the area of the paper; 13) do not present empirical evidence or sufficiently developed arguments that support the conclusions. The papers that do not fall into any of the above categories will be considered for the next phase.
b) Peer Review – merit-based: in this second phase, the Editors of Educação & Realidade send the article, without identifying the author, to at least two expert referees (editorial board members or guests ad hoc). For the selection of referees and thematic areas the journal takes into account the CNPq areas and the set of accessible information on the platform LATTES. The referees can fully accept the article, request reformulations or reject the article. These decisions are always documented with a written review. When the two referees refuse the text, it is returned to the author. When the two referees accept the text, it goes to the next phase. Finally, when one or two referees request reformulations, the text is returned to the author, requesting that he/she consider the opinions and reformulate the article within thirty days. When the author returns the reformulated text, according to the suggestions of the referees, it is reassessed and proceeds to the final stage.
c) Proofreading and adaptation of the paper to the norms of Educação & Realidade: once accepted for publication, the paper is subjected to language review and standardization. The article is sent to the author with suggestions for corrections and adjustments, before it is sent by the editors for publication.
Articles accepted for publication become property of the journal.
The Journal adopts iThenticate system for plagiarism identification.
Form and preparation of manuscripts
1. Manuscripts must be submitted through the journal's website (http://seer.ufrgs.br/educacaoerealidade/about/submissions). It is required that the texts are justified, typed in 1.5 spacing, font Times New Roman, size 12. Quotations of more than three lines should always come in a new paragraph, in size 10, and indented without quotes.
2. We request that the name of the authors do not appear in the article. We ask that authors remove passages that undermine anonymity in the evaluation.
3. All data identifying the authors should be typed directly into the appropriate fields of the registration page in the submission system, including full name, postal address , phone and email contact, with a brief description of the curriculum (a maximum of three lines) and institutional affiliation. This information should not be included in the Word file (or compatible) sent by the system.
4. Texts must be saved in Word (or compatible software). Highlights that may be necessary should be done in italics.
5. Articles should have between 35,000 and 60,000 characters (including spaces), formatted for A4 paper, including references, notes, and tables. Must be accompanied by a cover sheet with an abstract in Portuguese and in English (between 550 and 750 characters, including spaces) and keywords (maximum 5) in Portuguese and English. Titles should be at most 75 characters, including spaces, and must also be translated into English. The cover sheet can not contain any identification of the authors.
6. Some items to note in the typing of texts: quotation marks only for direct quotations in the text, italics for words with non-standard employment and foreign words, neologisms and titles of articles and publications.
7. Citations should be in the form Author's surname, year or Author's surname, year, p. xx). Different titles by the same author, published in the same year should be distinguished by adding a letter after the date (Author's surname, anoa, p. Xx).
8. The references must contain only the authors and the texts cited in the paper and be presented at the end of the text, in alphabetical order, following the rules of ABNT (available in http://www.ufrgs.br/edu_realidade/referencias-er.htm). When applicable, always indicate the name of the translator after the title of the book or article. Below are some examples of how to proceed:
Chapters in books:
Theses and dissertations:
Send of the manuscripts
Manuscripts should be sent to http://educreal.ufrgs.br for consideration.
There are no fees for submission and evaluation of articles.
[Home] [About the journal] [Editorial board] [Subscriptions]
All the content of the journal, except where otherwise noted, is licensed under a Creative Commons License
Av. Paulo Gama, s/n
Faculdade de Educação - Prédio 12201 - Sala 914
90046-900 Porto Alegre/RS - Brasil
Tel.: (51) 3308 3268
Fax: (51) 3308 3985