SciELO - Scientific Electronic Library Online

 
vol.45 issue5Biomaterial implants in bone fractures produced in rat fibulasSynovial chondromatosis author indexsubject indexarticles search
Home Pagealphabetic serial listing  

Revista Brasileira de Ortopedia

Print version ISSN 0102-3616

Abstract

ROOS, Milton Valdomiro; ROOS, Bruno Dutra; GIORA, Taís Stedile Busin  and  TAGLIETTI, Thiago Martins. Use of cortical structural homologous bone graft in femoral reconstructive surgery. Rev. bras. ortop. [online]. 2010, vol.45, n.5, pp. 483-489. ISSN 0102-3616.  http://dx.doi.org/10.1590/S0102-36162010000500018.

OBJECTIVE: To perform a clinical and radiographic assessment of patients submitted to cortical structural homologous bone graftsurgical treatment for femoral reconstruction following mechanical failure of total hip arthroplasty and periprosthetic fractures. METHODS: A retrospective study with 27 patients submitted to surgical treatment for femoral reconstruction following mechanical failure of total hip arthroplasty (12 cases) and periprosthetic fractures (15 cases), using cortical structural homologous bone graft and cemented implants, in the period of June 1999 to February 2008 was performed. Of these, 21 fulfilled the criteria required for this study. Patients were submitted to a pre and postoperative clinical assessment according to Harris Hip Score. Pre-operative, immediate and late postoperative radiographs were also evaluated by comparing fracture consolidation, radiographic signs of graft integration, changes in bone stock and femoral bone quality, as well as femoral alignment. RESULTS: Nine patients (42.9%) were submitted to femoral reconstruction following mechanical failure of total hip arthroplasty. The other 12 cases (57.1%), were submitted to femoral reconstruction following periprosthetic fracture. Results were considered satisfactory in 85.7% and unsatisfactory in 14.3% of cases. Radiographic signs of graft integration to the host's bone were seen in all cases. There was an increase of bone stock in 90.5% of hip reconstructions, according to cortical index measurement. Furthermore, changes in femoral bone quality were considered good in 66.7% of cases. CONCLUSION: The use of cortical structural homologous bone grafts for both femoral reconstructive surgeries of total hip arthroplasty and periprosthetic fractures is a good treatment option for selected cases, allowing for satisfactory clinical and radiographic results.

Keywords : Femoral Fractures; Arthroplasty, Replacement, Hip [methods]; Hip Prosthesis; Bone Transplantation .

        · abstract in Portuguese     · text in Portuguese     · pdf in Portuguese