Accessibility / Report Error

Eletrophoretical characterization and subgroup analysis of rotavirus in dairy cattle in the State of São Paulo, Brazil

A study was accomplished to determine the occurrence of rotavirus in feces of calves, in the State of São Paulo, Brazil. A total of 375 samples of feces from calves 1 to 45 day-old were collected. The animals belonged to farms situated in six counties of the northeast region of the State. One hundred and ninety tree out of these samples belonged to animals with a clinical picture of diarrhea and 182 were obtained from clinically healthy animals. The techniques used for the detection of rotavirus were the enzyme immunoassay (EIA) and the polyacrilamide gel electrophoresis (PAGE). By the use of EIA, 11.2% (42/375) of the samples were positive for rotavirus. Among the samples of diarrheic calves, 15% (29/193) were found to be positive for rotavirus, whereas 7.1 (13/182) positive samples were obtained from clinically healthy animals. The PAGE test presented a lower sensitivity than EIA, since from the 42 positive samples in EIA, only 36 presented an electrophoretical profile characteristic of rotavirus. The genome analysis indicated the presence of six distinct electrophoretical types characteristic of group A rotavirus. A unique electropherotype was detected in tree farms, which remained constant during the sampling period. In two farms a second electropherotype was detected. The serological characterization of the positive samples in subgroups was accomplished through EIA with "double sandwich", utilizing monoclonal antibodies ( I and II). Twenty two group A rotavirus strains I (52.4%, 22/42) reacted with MAb of subgroup I, none to subgroup II, and the remaining 47.6% (20/42) did not react with the two subgroups.

Bovine; rotavirus; electrophoretical type; diarrhea

Universidade Federal de Minas Gerais, Escola de Veterinária Caixa Postal 567, 30123-970 Belo Horizonte MG - Brazil, Tel.: (55 31) 3409-2041, Tel.: (55 31) 3409-2042 - Belo Horizonte - MG - Brazil