Synthesis and characterization of energetic ABA-type thermoplastic elastomers for propellant formulations has been carried out. Following the working plan elaborated, the synthesis and characterization of Poly 3-bromomethyl-3-methyl oxetane (PolyBrMMO), Poly 3- azidomethyl-3-methyl oxetane (PolyAMMO), Poly 3,3-bis-azidomethyl oxetane (PolyBAMO) and Copolymer PolyBAMO/AMMO (by TDI end capping) has been successfully performed. The thermoplastic elastomers (TPEs) were synthesized using the chain elongation process PolyAMMO, GAP and PolyBAMO by diisocyanates. In this method 2.4-toluene diisocyanate (TDI) is used to link block A (hardandmono-functional)) to B (soft and di-functional). For the hard A-block we used PolyBAMO and for the soft B-block we used PolyAMMO or GAP. This is ajoint project set up, someyears ago, between the Chemistry Division of the Institute of Aeronautics and Space (IAE) - subordinated to the Brazilian Ministry of Defense - and the Fraunhofer Institut Chemische Technologie (ICT), in Germany. The products were characterized by different techniques as IR- and (1H, 13C) NMR spectroscopies, elemental and thermal analyses. New methodologies based on FT-IR analysis have been developed as an alternative for the determination of the molecular weight and CHNO content of the energetic polymers.
Energetic thermoplastic elastomers; PolyAMMO; PolyBAMO; Copolymer PolyBAMO/AMMO; Propellants
Full text is available only in PDF.
- Archibald, T. G., Carlson, R. P., Malik, A. A., Manser, G. E., 1997, "Preparation and Polymerization of Initiators Containing Multiple Oxetane Rings: New Routes for Star Polymers", US Patent 5,663,289.
- Hsiue G. H., Liu Y. L. and Chiu Y. S., 1994, "Triblock Copolymers Based on Cyclic Ethers: Preparation and Properties of Tetrahydrofuran and 3,3-bis (Azidomethyl) Oxetanetriblock Copolymers", Journal of Polymer Science, Part A: Polymer Chemistry, Vol. 32, pp. 2155-2159.
- Kawamoto A. M. et al., 2005, "Synthesis and Characterization of Energetic Oxetane-Oxirane-Polymers for use in Thermoplastie Elastomer Binder Systems", Proceedings of the 36th International Annual Conference &32th International Pyrotechnics Seminar of ICT, Karlshure, Germany.
- Kawamoto A. M., et al., 2006, "Synthesis and Characterization of Energetic ABA-Type Thermoplastie Elastomers for Propellants Formulations", Proceedings of the 37th International Annual Conference of ICT, Karlshure, Germany.
- Manser, G. E., Miller, R. S., 1993, "Thermoplastie Elastomers Having Alternate Crystalline Structure For Us as High Energy Binders", US Patent 5,210,153.
- Manser, G. E., Malik, A. A., Archibald, T. G., 1996, "3-Azídation-3-Nitratomethyloxetane", US Patent 5,489.
- Murali M. Y., Padmanabha R. M., and Mohana R. K., 2004, "Synthesis, Spectral and DSC Analysis of Glycidyl Azide Polymers Containing Different Initiating Diol Unit", Journal of Applied Polymer Science, Vol. 93, pp. 2157-2163.
- Oliveira, J. I. S., et al., 2006, "Characterization MIR/NIR/FIR of Energetic Binders used in Solid Propellants", Propellants, Explosives, Pyrotechnics, Vol. 32, pp. 395.
- Oliveira, J. I. S., et al., 2007, "Determination of CHN Content in Energetic Binder by MIR Analysis", Polímeros: Ciência e Tecnologia, Vol. 17, pp. 46.
- Provatas, A., "Energetic Polymers and Plasticizers for Explosive Formulations-A Review of Recent Advances", Defense Science & Technologie Organization, DSTO-TR-0966.
- Saegusa T., Matsumoto S., and Hashimoto Y., 1970, "Cationic Block Copolymerization of Tetrahydrofuran with 3,3-Bis (Chloromethyl) Oxacyclobutane", Macromolecules, Vol. 3, pp. 377.
- Sanderson, A. J., Edwards, W., 2000, "Method for the Synthesis of Energetic Thermoplastic Elastomers in Inon-Halogenated Solvents", WO 00/34353, (PCT)/US99/24013".
- "Synthesis of energetic thermoplastic elastomers containing oligomeric urethane linkages", 2000, WO 00/34350A3 (PCT).
- Wardle, R. B., Edwards, W. W., Hinshaw, J. C., 1996, "Method of Producing Thermoplastic Elastomers Having Alternate Crystalline Structure Such as Polyoxetane ABA or Star Block Copolymers by a Block Linking Process", US Patent 5,516,854.
- Wardle, R. B., 1989, "Method of Producing Thermoplastic Elastomers Having Alternate Crystalline Structure for Use as Binders in High-Energy Compositions", US Patent 4.
Publication in this collection
14 Apr 2009
07 May 2009