Nano-scale aluminum particles are innovative materiais increasingly used in energetic formulations. In this contribution, the rheological behavior of suspensions with either paraffin oil or HTPB as the matrix fluid and nano-scale aluminum (ALEX) as the dispersed phase is described and discussed. The paraffin oil/aluminum suspensions exhibit non-Newtonian flow behavior over a wide range of concentrations, where as the HTPB/aluminum suspensions exhibit Newtonian behavior (i.e. the viscosity is independent of shear stress) up to a concentration of 50 vol.% aluminum. Both systems have unusual viscoelastic properties in that their elastic moduli are independent of the solids concentration.
Aluminum nano-particles; Rheology; ALEX; HTPB; Viscoelastic properties
Full text is available only in PDF.
- Glotov, O. G., Zarko, V. E, and Beckstead, M. W., 2000 "Agglomerate and Oxide Particles Generated in Combustion of Alex Containing Solid Propellants", 31st International Annual Conference of ICT, Karlsruhe, Germany, June 2730, pp. 130/1130/15.
- Hordijk, A. C., Sabel, H. W., Schonewille, R. L. and Meulenbrugge, J. J., 1996, "The Application of Rheological Equipment for Improved Processing of HTPB based PBXs", 27th International Annual Conference of ICT, Karlsruhe, Germany, June 2528, pp. 3/13/11.
- Ivanov, G. V. and Tepper, F., 1997, "Activated Aluminum as a Stored Energy Source for Propellants", in: K. K. Kuo (ed.) "Challenges in Propellants and Combustion, 100 Years after Nobel", Begell House, pp. 636-645.
- Miller, R. R., Lee, E. and Powell, R. L., 1991, "Rheology of Solid Propellant Dispersions", Journal of Rheology, Vol.35, No. 5, pp.901-920.
- Muthiah, R, Krishnamurthy, V. N. and Gupta, B. R., 1996,"Rheology of HTPB Propellant: Development of Generalized Correlation and Evaluation of Pot Life", Propellants, Explosives, Pyrotechnics, Vol. 21, pp.186-192.
- Teipel, U., 1999, "Rheologisches Verhalten von Emulsionen und Tensidlösungen", Dissertation, Universität Bayreuth; Wissenschaftliche Schriftenreihe des Fraunhofer ICT, Band 22.
- Tepper, F., Ivanov,G. V., Lemer, M. and Davidovich, V., 1998, "Energetic Formulations from Nanosize Metal Powders", 24th International Pyrotechnics Seminar, Monterey, California, USA, July 2731, pp. 519-530.
Publication in this collection
30 Apr 2009
04 May 2009