Indice latinoamericano de publicaciones científicas seriadas
Maria Fernanda Sarmento e Souza
Computer software review editor
Address to correspondence Address to correspondence Maria Fernanda Sarmento e Souza firstname.lastname@example.org
The Journal of Venomous Animals and Toxins (JVAT) has been evaluated and included in the Indice Latinoamericano de Publicaciones Científicas Seriadas (LATINDEX). It includes and disseminates an electronic catalogue with information about approximately eight hundred academic journals from Argentina, Brazil, Chile, Colombia, Cuba, Mexico, Porto Rico, Portugal, Spain, and Venezuela. The LATINDEX is similar to Ulrichs in that it is a register of journal titles of all areas. However, it evaluates journals using parameters, such as basic characteristics, presentation characteristics, management criteria and editorial policy, and content characteristics. The entire evaluation process consists of 33 variables under these parameters. Journals are only included in LATINDEX if they fulfill the basic characteristics, complying with at least 17 variables. The system presents a brief description of the JVATs objectives, including a link to the corresponding registration in the Directory and to the journals electronic address in the Scientific Electronic Library Online (SciELO). There collaborating organizations, such as Instituto Brasileiro de Informação em Ciência e Tecnologia (IBICT); United Nations Educational, Scientific, and Cultural Organization (UNESCO); and Institute for Scientific Information (ISI).
JVAT currently satisfies the following 26 variables:
- List of Editorial Board.
- Minimum lifetime one year.
- Identification of authors.
- Where published.
- Commercial publisher.
- Complete title, ISSN, volume, number, and bibliographic strip.
- Timeliness of publication.
- Table of contents in each issue.
- Bibliographic strip in each article.
- Names of Associated Editors.
- Author affiliations.
Management criteria and editorial policy
- ISSN registration
- Objective, scope, and/or target audience.
- Peer review system and method.
- At least 50% of published articles are from authors outside the Commercial Publisher.
- Included in indexing and abstracting services, periodical directories, or specialized databases.
- Published on time according to stated frequency.
- At least 40% of articles are original papers, short communications, and case reports.
- Instructions to authors are included.
- Instructions on how to cite bibliographic references.
- A statement on the submission for publication of original papers.
- Articles include an English abstract.
- Key words are in English.
JVAT has met all characteristics and nearly all variables.
This stresses the need and importance for e-journals to attain the same quality criteria as traditional printed journals. This will help to guarantee content reliability and its dissemination.
Publication in this collection
09 Dec 2003
Date of issue