The journal Pandaemonium Germanicum, published since 1997 by the German Area of the Department of Modern Letters of the FFLCH/USP and the Post-Graduate Program in German Language and Literature, comprehends itself as a forum of academic discussion in the Germanistic field covering: German language literature, compared literature and cultural studies related to German-speaking countries, German linguistics, applied and contrastive linguistics (Portuguese/German), teaching of German as a foreign/additional language, and studies on translation logic.
Pandaemonium seeks not only to disseminate studies by Germanists from Brazil and abroad, but also to contribute to the dialogue between German studies, other languages and literatures as well as further fields of knowledge.
Pandaemonium is an open access journal published semi-annually until 2015 and three times a year from 2016 on. The manuscripts are submitted to double blind peer review. In case of divergent opinions, a third opinion is sought for. Accepted articles are throroughly edited before publishing.
Pandaemonium accepts submissions of the following types of texts in the areas outlined above:
The journal considers texts on the topics listed above, written in continuous text and addressing specific themes in line with its calls for papers.
Articles submitted for review for publication in Pandaemonium must not be simultaneously submitted for publication to other journals or other editorial organs.
The opinions and ideas expressed in the published articles are the responsibility of their respective authors.
Pandaemonium adopts an open access policy and there are no fees for the submission and the review of articles.
The journal aims to implement the appropriate means to align with the principles of open science by the year 2022.
Publication Ethics and Malpractice Statement
Pandaemonium Germanicum strives to comply with good practices of journal editoring, as stated in the Guidelines of the Committee on Publications Ethics (COPE). It does not accept any form of pagiarism or unethical behavior, applying tools for their detection.
Form and preparation of manuscripts
The texts published by Pandaemonium comply with ABNT standards and must be submitted according to the following specific instructions:
1. Title - centered, with only initial letters of the words in uppercase. Font: Geometr231 BT 26. The title must be translated into English (Geometr231 BT 14 between square brackets).
2. Use the corresponding form or a separate file to indicate: Full name of author(s), institution, department, address of the institution, city, country, email address for correspondence, ORCID number. Ex.:
Full name, Universidade de São Paulo, Faculdade de Filosofia, Letras e Ciências Humanas, Departamento de Letras Modernas, Av. Prof. Luciano Gualberto, 403, 05508-900, São Paulo/SP, Brasil. Email name@institution, ORCID: xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx.
2.1. Use the corresponding online form to inform sources of funding for the research.
3. Abstract and Summary/Resumen and/or Zusammenfassung - an abstract in English is compulsory, along with a summary in Portuguese or Spanish, for Portuguese and Spanish articles, respectively; or a Zusammenfassung in German for articles in the German language. For articles in Portuguese/Spanish, a Zusammenfassung may also be provided. A summary may also be provided for articles in German. The word Abstract/Summary/Resumen/Zusammenfassung must be inserted in Times New Roman 11, boldface, with uppercase initial letter, followed by a colon. The summary text must be typed in Times New Roman 11 font, with standard spacing and no indentation. The summary must be a minimum of 50, and maximum of 200, words in length.
Note: A summary is not required in reviews.
4. Keywords/Palavras-chave/Palabras clave/Stichwörter - should be included at the end of summaries by inserting a blank line, with a Times New Roman 11 font and standard spacing. The words Keywords/Palavras-chave/Stichwörter should be in boldface, and followed by colon. A total of 3 to 5 keywords are required for each summary, separated by semi-colons.
Note: Keywords are not required in reviews.
5. Text - in Times New Roman 12, with line and paragraph spacing of 1.5. (Spacing between paragraphs throughout the text above and below: 3 pt). Articles should contain a minimum of 15 and maximum of 30 pages. Articles containing less than 15 pages will not be reviewed. (For reviews: minimum length of 3 and maximum of 7 pages).
5.1. Paragraphs: should employ tabs (1,25 cm).
5.2. Subtitles: Geometr231 BT 19.5, no indentation, only initial letter in capitals. Numbering should be done using Arabic numerals. Second grade subtitles: font size 13,5.
5.3. Tables and illustrations (photographs, drawings, graphs etc.) must be consistent with the general standard of the text and fit within the space allocated by the author. A resolution of 72 px is recommended for images. The use of large images should be avoided.
5.4. Notes should appear at the foot of the page, and be numbered in order of appearance. Font: Times New Roman 10, standard spacing.
5.5. Emphases or highlights within the text should be made using italics. Phrases in foreign languages should be in italics. Underscores should not be used.
5.6. Citations of up to three lines should be placed between quotes (not in italics), followed by author's surname (in small capitals - not in upper case!), year of publication and page number(s). E.g.: (Lieblich 2005: 61-63). Citations longer than 3 lines should be indented 1.25 cm on the left, in Times New Roman 11 font, no quotation marks or italics, and with standard spacing, followed by the author's surname (in small capitals), year of publication and page number(s).
Some examples of citations:
Direct citation of three lines or less
Bornheim (1992:57) also affirms " Assim, a plasticidade do texto compõe-se juntamente com os recursos de que lança mão a encenação."
Para o dramaturgo e diretor alemão Bertolt Brecht (1967), o teatro não deve proporcionar apenas as sensações e os impulsos que são permitidos pelo respectivo contexto histórico [...].
Citation longer than three lines
Nesse sentido, [...] Henry Giroux (apud Rajagopalan 2003: 105) argumenta que
Ensinar, nos termos de Freire, não é simplesmente estar em sala de aula, mas estar na história, na esfera mais ampla de um imaginário político que oferece aos educadores a oportunidade de uma enorme coleção de campos para mobilizar conhecimentos e desejos que podem levar a mudanças significativas na minimalização do grau de opressão na vida das pessoas.
6. Annexes - should be avoided. If included, annexes must be placed prior to the bibliographic references, preceded by the word Annexes in boldface with only the initial letter in capitals, with no indentation or numbering. Annexes should only be used when absolutely necessary.
Bibliographic references must not be numbered.
Examples of bibliographic references
Rajagopalan, Kanavillil. Por uma lingüística crítica: Linguagem, identidade e a questão ética. São Paulo: Parábola Editorial, 2003.
Ehlich, Konrad; Rehbein, Jochen. Einige Interrelationen von Modalverben. In: Wunderlich, Dieter (ed.). Linguistische Pragmatik. 2nd ed. Wiesbaden: Athenaion,1975, p. 318-341.
Aubert, Francis Henrik. Modalidades de tradução: teoria e resultados. TradTerm, v. 5, n. 1, p. 99-128, 1998.
Teixeira, Ivan. Gramática do louvor. In: Folha de S. Paulo, Jornal de Resenhas, year 80, n. 25.938, 8 apr. 2000, p. 4.
Dissertation and thesis
Uphoff, Dörthe. O poder do livro didático e a posição do professor no ensino de alemão como língua estrangeira. Tese (Doutorado em Linguística Aplicada) – Instituto de Estudos da Linguagem, Universidade Estadual de Campinas, Campinas, 2009.
Online Publication - INTERNET
NEUMANN, Gerson R. "Brasileiros sobre a Europa" - Brasil: além do centro e da periferia? In: Revista Contingentia, Porto Alegre, v. 2, nov. 2007, p. 29-35. <http://www.revistacontingentia.com/> (23.01.2008).
CONCLUDING REMARKS: Non-compliance with the format rules will lead to the rejection of the manuscript.
Submission of the manuscripts
The journal accepts manuscripts continuously https://mc04.manuscriptcentral.com/pg-scielo.