ISSN 1413-2478 printed
Scope and Policy
The Brazilian Education Journal accepts for publication original articles of Brazilian and foreign authors in respect of education, resulting primarily from surveys as well as studies theorists who contribute to the advancement of knowledge about the subject and promote new studies and research .
Are also published papers, book reviews and reading scores. In the Documents
section, are distributed collective texts prepared by ANPEd or related
associations as well as recent documents (laws, opinions, normalization),
originating from government agencies and addressing issues of concern
for education. Texts dealing with controversial issues or discuss any
matter with defense positions, are published in the Open Space section.
The publication of articles is conditioned to two appraisals by referees from the Editorial Board or by ad hoc referees. In case there is any discrepancy, a third opinion is sought. Complaints and other specific problems are dealt with and decided by the Editorial Board.
The selection of articles for publication takes into account its contribution to education and to the editorial line of the journal, as well as the originality of the theme and of its discussion and the rigor and consistency of its theoretical and methodological framework. Any eventual change in structure or content as suggested by either the referees or the Editorial Board are only incorporated into the text with the thorough agreement of the authors.
Format and Preparation of the manuscripts
MANUSCRIPT SUBMISSIONS GUIDELINES
1. The Brazilian Magazine of Education (Revista Brasileira de Educação) accepts for publication original articles by Brazilian and foreign authors dealing with education, results from theoretical studies, research, reflections on practices and debatable discussions. Exceptionally, articles by brazilian and foreign writers, formerly published in books and periodicals with restricted circulation in Brazil, may be published.
2. Papers may be sent in portuguese, english, french or spanish.
3. Articles must have a minimum of 40 thousand and a maximum of 70 thousand characters with spaces, including bibliographical references and notes (counted by Tools word processing - Word or Star Office, for example).
4. The publication of articles is subject to evaluation by the members of the Editorial Board or by ad hoc collaborators. The selection of articles for publication is based on its contribution to education and to the editorial line of the Magazine, the originality of the themes or the treatment given to it, as well as the consistency and rigor of the theoretical-methodological approach. Eventual modifications in the structure or content, suggested by opinion makers or by the Editorial Commission, will only be incorporated with agreement of the authors.
5. The Revista Brasileira de Educação also publishes documents, book reviews and reader's notes. The section Documents divulges collective texts, elaborated by the ANPEd or by related associations, as well as documents (laws, opinions, norms) stemming from government agencies and which deal with topics of interest for the educational area.
6. Book reviews should not exceed 10 thousand characters with spaces and reader notes no more than 5 thousand. A complete bibliographical reference of the work reviewed or commented is necessary. The typing and formatting should follow the same instructions as those for the articles.
7. Texts which deal with controversial themes or which debate certain subjects defending positions may be published in the Open Space section. In this case the texts should be limited to 50 thousand characters and should be subject to the other requisites on articles.
8. Original texts should be sent to the headquarters of the magazine through the SciELO system. Inquiries as to the procedures are available at the site: http://www.scielo.br/revistas/rbedu/pinstruc.htm#003. Any doubts and suggestions may be sent to email@example.com.
9. Articles and other texts for publication should be typed in one of the text editing programs in a standard PC format. Directions as to format are specified at the end of these Norms.
10. Mentions of authors in the text itself should follow the form (Author, date) or (Author, date, p.), as in the examples (Silva, 1989) or (Silva, 1989, p.95). Different titles by the same author published in the same year should be differentiated by adding a letter after the date, for example: (Garcia, 1995a), (Garcia, 1995b) etc.
11. References should contain only those authors and texts cited in the work itself and should be presented at the end of the text, in alphabetical order, complying with the most recent ABNT norms. Materials that do not contain bibliographical references or those presented incorrectly will not be considered for examination and publication. It may be noted that university librarians are qualified to offer orientation as to the correct use of norms. Examples of ABNT norms application may be found at the end of these Norms.
12. Footnotes should be explanatory only. All notes should be numbered and be placed at the bottom of the page (use the automatic command of the word processor: Insert/Notes).
13. All articles should contain, at the end, the title, indication of at least three key words and an abstract (in portuguese, english and spanish), which do not exceed 1.000 characters each.
14. At the end of the text the author should also register information as to his highest academic degree, institution, as well as supplying his e-mail address and full address for correspondence.
15. Charts, graphs, maps, images etc. should be presented on separate sheets from the text (indicating where they are to be inserted), should be numbered and titled and present corresponding source information. Whenever possible they should be made for direct reproduction.16. The sending of any contribution automatically implies the total cession of authors' rights to the Revista Brasileira de Educação.
Directions as to formatting texts
1. Type the full text in Times New Roman, font size 12, simple spacing, with no different fonts or attributes for titles and sections.
2. Use uppercase letters in bold face for the main title; bold face and first uppercase letter followed by lowercase letters for section subtitles.
3. For emphasis or highlighting in the text itself, use only italics; indicate paragraphs with only one press of the tab key and press Enter only at the end of a paragraph.
5. For transcriptions, use Times New Roman, font size 11, separated from the main text with a double Enter and introduced by pressing the tab key twice.
Directions for the application of the ABNT Norms
1. Books: author's surname (Uppercase)/COMMA/Followed by abbreviated name (Uppercase and Lowercase)/PERIOD/Title of work (in italics)/COLON(if there is a subtitle)/Subtitle (if there is one)/PERIOD/Edition ( in abbreviated form and if it is not the first edition)/PERIOD/Place of publication /COLON,SPACE/Publisher)COMMA/Publication date/PERIOD.
Example: APPLE, M. W. Educação e poder, 2nd ed. Porto Alegre: Artes Médicas, 1989.
2. Articles: author's surname (Uppercase)/COMMA/Followed by abbreviated name (Uppercase and Lowercase)/IF THERE IS ANOTHER AUTHOR, REPEAT THIS OPERATION SEPARATING THE NAMES BY SEMI-COLON/PERIOD/Title of article/PERIOD/Title of the periodical (in italics)/COMMA/Place (publication headquarters of the magazine)/COLON/Entity to which the magazine is linked/SEMI-COLON/Place of publication/COLON/Publisher/COMMA/Volume Number of the periodical (if there is one)/COMMA/Pages that correspond to the article/COMMA/Month (abbreviated)/Date of publication/PERIOD.
Example: ZAGO, N. Do acesso à permanência no ensino superior: percursos de estudantes universitários de camadas populares. Revista Brasileira de Educação, Rio de Janeiro: ANPEd; Campinas: Autores Associados, v. 11, n. 32, p. 226-237, may/aug. 2006.
3. Anthologies: surname of the author of the chapter (Uppercase)/COMMA/Followed by abbreviated name (Uppercase and Lowercase)/PERIOD/Title of the chapter/PERIOD/Write “In:”/Surname of the organizer (Uppercase)/COMMA/Initials of the organizer's name (IF THERE IS ANOTHER ORGANIZER, REPEAT THIS PROCEDURE, SEPARATING THE NAMES WITH SEMI-COLONS)/Write, when it is the case, “(Org.)”/PERIOD/Title of the anthology (in italics)/COLON (if there is a subtitle)/Subtitle (if there is one)/PERIOD/Edition, in abbreviated form and if not the first/PERIOD/ Place of publication/COLON,SPACE/Name of publisher /PERIOD/Translator's name, when there is one/COMMA/Date of publication/PERIOD.
Example: ROMÃO, J. E. Alfabetizar para libertar. In: GADOTTI, Moacir; TORRES, Carlos A. (Orgs.). Educação popular: utopia latino-americana. São Paulo: Cortez, 1994.
4. Academic dissertations: author's surname (Uppercase)/COMMA/Followed by abbreviated name (Uppercase and Lowercase)/PERIOD/PublicationTitle (in italics)/COLON (if there is a subtitle)/Subtitle (if there is one)/PERIOD/Date of dissertation defence /PERIOD/Number of pages/PERIOD/Academic degree it refers to/DASH/Institution where it was presented/COMMA/Place of publication/PERIOD.
Example: Barreira, L. História e Historiografia: as escritas recentes da história da educação brasileira (1971-1988). 1995. 220pp. Thesis (Doctorate Degree in the History of Education) - UNICAMP, Campinas.
5. Works presented in congresses: author’s surname (Uppercase)/COMMA/Followed by abbreviated name (Uppercase and Lowercase)/Period/Title of the work presented/Period/Write “In:”/name of the event(Uppercase)COMMA/numbering of the event (if there is one)/PERIOD/COMMA/Date of publication/COMMA/Location of the event/PERIOD/Title of the document/Location of the event/COLON/Publisher/COMMA/Time period of the event/COMMA/Month (abbreviated)/Publication date/PERIOD/iniyial page and end of the part referred to/PERIOD.
Example: MALDONADO FILHO, E. A transformação de valores em preço de produção e o fenômeno da absorção e liberação de capital produtivo In: ENCONTRO NACIONAL DE ECONOMIA, 15., 1975, Salvador. Anais... Salvador: ANPEC, 1-4, dec. 1975. p. 157-75.
6. Works in electronic media: author’s surname(Uppercase)/COMMA/Followed by abbreviated name (Uppercase and Lowercase)/PERIOD/Title/PERIOD/Title of the Periodical (in italics)/COMMA/Place of publication/COLON/Entity to which the magazine is linked/SEMI-COLON/Publisher/COMMA/Volume number of the periodical/COMMA/Number of the periodical/COMMA/Date of publication/PERIOD/Available at/COLON/e-mail address (between the signs < >)/PERIOD/accessed on/COLON/date of consultation/PERIOD.
Example: SAVIANI, D. Formação de professores: aspectos históricos e teóricos do problema no contexto brasileiro. Revista Brasileira de Educação, Rio de Janeiro: ANPEd; Autores Associados, v. 14, n. 40, jan./apr. 2009. Available at: <http:/www.scielo.br/scielo.php?script=sci_arttext&pid=S1413—24782009000100012&Ing=pt&nrm=iso>. Accessed on: 01 mar. 2011.
Policy against plagiarism and improper research conduct
In conformity with the guidelines of the Committee on Publication Ethics(COPE), which are designed to encourage the identification of plagiarism, improper practices, fraud, possible ethics violations and the opening of inquiries, we inform:
1. Authors must visit the COPE website http://publicationethics.org, which contains information for authors and editors about research ethics.
2. Before submission, authors must follow these guidelines:
- articles that include data acquisition or analysis and interpretation of data from other publications must cite them explicitly;
3. To meet the criteria, the following procedures will be conducted:
a)The editors will evaluate the manuscripts with the CrossCheck system, soon after the evaluation of the form of the manuscripts. At this time, the textual content of the articles will be evaluated, seeking to identify plagiarism, duplicated submissions, manuscripts that have been previously published and possible research fraud.
b)Based on the results, the editor and editorial board will be responsible for deciding if the manuscript will be sent for peer review;
c)After acceptance and before publication, the articles can be evaluated once again.
Submitting the manuscripts
The Revista Brasileira de Educação receives
articles for review and possible publication.
1. Sign in to your account. If you don't have a account, create a register
on the site.
There is no fee for submission and evaluation articles.
[Home] [About this journal] [Editorial board] [Subscription]
All the content of the journal, except where otherwise noted, is licensed under a Creative Commons License
© 2007 Revista Brasileira de Educação - ANPEd
Rua Visconde de Santa Isabel, 20 Grupo 206-208
- Vila Isabel
20570-120 - Rio de Janeiro - RJ - Brasil
Tel.: +55 21 2576-1447 / +55 21 2265-5521
Fax.: +55 21 3879-5511