The Estudos Avançados journal is a triannual publication of the Institute of Advanced Studies of the University of São Paulo (IEA-USP). Your website on the internet is www.iea.usp.br/revista.
Founded in December 1987, Estudos Avançados has consolidated its position as a leading Brazilian interdisciplinary journal.
In addition to publishing the work of researchers from IEA-USP and guest lecturers, the journal offers texts by other experts on issues of national and international relevance. It also seeks to be a forum for discussions on socioeconomic and Latin American issues.
Assessments by independent consultants at the request of the São Paulo Research Foundation (FAPESP) have revealed the importance of Estudos Avançados over its 30 years of existence. It is also worth noting that the journal is considered the natural home for quality intellectual production from a vast array of sources.
Each issue features a dossier with both unique and complementary approaches to a specific subject matter.
The journal's abbreviated name is Estud. av. This form should be used in bibliographies, footnotes, endnotes, and bibliographical references and captions.
Articles published in Estudos Avançados are indexed or summarized by:
All content of the journal, except where identified, is licensed under a Creative Commons attribution-type BY-NC.
Best Practice Guidelines and Publishing Ethics Policies
Original papers must be submitted through the journal's official e-mail address (firstname.lastname@example.org) or via SciELO. In a preliminary stage, the content will be analyzed by the Editorial Board regarding compliance with editorial standards, internal consistency of the text, relevance to the editorial line of the journal, and contribution to knowledge innovation.
Once approved, the papers will be sent for appreciation of the merits of its content. The peer-review model is used in order to guarantee confidentiality regarding the identity of the consultants and the authors. The analysis of the text is based on the journal's evaluation instrument. The opinions sent by the consultants are analyzed by the Editorial Board regarding compliance with the rules of publication, content, and pertinence. After this process, the papers will be sent to the authors with an indication of acceptance, reformulation, or refusal.
Estudos Avançados follows standards of consensus and common sense. The evaluation of the received manuscripts is taken into account. The text must be sent to a referee chosen from among researchers of notable competence in the area of knowledge in which the collaboration is registered. The consultant's name must be protected by strict confidentiality. The review of papers is aimed at ensuring the integrity of blind peer review. In double-blind reviews, the names of the author (or authors) and of the reviewers are not revealed to each other. The opinion, whether favorable or otherwise, with or without restrictions, is then immediately sent to the interested party. If favorable, the author is informed of the estimated time to publish their text. Being favorable with restrictions, if these are accepted by the interested party, a new version will be reexamined by the same referee. The average time for these procedures varies from one to three months depending on the consultant's readiness.
For some time, Estudos Avançados has adopted the iThenticate plagiarism identification software and more recently the Turnitin tool that allows similarity analysis of texts strengthening academic and scientific integrity.
Copyright and license policy
The journal publishes articles in open access under the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial license, which allows use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, without restrictions as long as not for commercial purposes and correctly citing the original work.
Ethics and plagiarism policy
The most serious problem in terms of editorial ethics is to admit the publication of texts plagiarized from national and foreign journals.
In 33 years of existence, Estudos Avançados has not registered any occurrence or complaint of total or partial plagiarism. It is the result of two procedures:
1. every received article is easily collated with others in the same thematic area via internet;
2. the journal makes use of a network of specialized reviewers who are able to verify the originality of the texts.
In its issue #80 (Jan-Apr, 2014), Estudos Avançados published a set of texts under the heading "Integrity and scientific innovation," coordinated by Professor Sueli Gandolfi Dallari, former president of the USP Ethics Committee (2012-2014), which was intended to contribute to the predominance of ethical behavior at the University of São Paulo.
For some time now, the journal has adopted the plagiarism identification software iThenticate and more recently the tool Turnitin, that allows text similarity analysis to strengthen academic and scientific integrity.
Supporters and sponsors
Editorial and graphic production
Preparation and proofreading
With a rather unique editorial profile among Brazilian academic publications, Estudos Avançados publishes articles on subjects of humanistic, scientific and technological culture.
Readers include teachers and students from public and private high schools, undergraduate and graduate students from public and private institutions of higher learning, university professors of public and private institutions, researchers, scientists, professionals, community and social movement leaders, public administrators, politicians, businesspeople and journalists, among others.
Consideration of manuscripts
Original articles submitted for consideration will be analyzed firstly by the Editorial Desk for compliance to editorial standards, internal coherence, relevance to the journal's editorial line, and contribution to innovation in its field of knowledge. Important notice: in this stage, the original manuscript must not exceed 40,000 characters with spaces.
If approved in the preliminary stage, the manuscript is forwarded for a merit analysis of its contents. This is the peer review stage, where both the consultants and the authors remain anonymous. The manuscript is analyzed by the journal's assessment tool. Expert opinions submitted by the consultants are reviewed by the Editorial Desk for compliance with the rules of publication, content and relevance. After this process, the manuscript is sent back to its authors with a statement of acceptance, reformulation or rejection.
There is no fee for submission and review articles.
The moral and intellectual rights of articles belong to the authors, not being property of the journal.
Submission of manuscripts
Original articles may be submitted for consideration by e-mail, at email@example.com, or online via Scielo (Scientific Electronic Library Online).
1. The Editorial Desk of Estudos Avançados requests, receives and distributes original texts to qualified consultants for analysis and assessment of merit.
2. Authors' credits should include their degrees, job and the institution to which they are affiliated, and recent publications (if any), followed by a personal email.
3. The manuscript should include an Abstract (up to ten lines) and a list of keywords, in both Portuguese and English.
4. Quotations of up to five lines should be included in the body of the text, highlighted by double quotes. Those with more than five lines should be set apart in an indented paragraph in smaller font.
5. Notes should be limited to explanatory texts and comments, if required, set at the end of the text, before the bibliographical references.
6. Bibliographical references should be cited between parentheses in the text, in abbreviated form with the author's name, the year of publication and the page number. For example: (Le Goff, 1980, p.134).
7. Full bibliographical references should be listed at the end of the text and follow the ABNT rules.
8. In addition to being inserted in their proper place in the text itself, image files (tables and/or pictures, graphs, photos etc., in color or B&W) should be sent separately, in the format in which they were originally created and in high resolution for print.
9. The Editorial Desk reserves the right to request a reduction in the number of pages of a text.
10. The Editorial Desk reserves the right to request a reduction in the number of characters of text titles.