Educação & Realidade main objective is the dissemination of scientific production in education and encouragement of academic debate for the production of new knowledge. It also aims at the expansion of analytical tools in order to expand the borders of thinking and practice in education. In its more than 40 years of existence, Education & Reality has been carrying out this mission through a consistent editorial policy, centered on the quality of the articles offered to its readers. Education & Reality is published in a single issue per year (since 2022) and publishes articles – related to various areas of the field of education and its interface with the arts, philosophy, letters, social sciences and humanities – which come from theoretical studies, empirical research, analysis of specific practices or polemical and current debates. The texts, in Portuguese, Spanish or English, are unpublished, except when they are translations of classic texts not available to readers in Brazil. For an article to be published in Educação & Realidade, it must offer a perspective that contributes to the discussion and advancement of the ways the themes have been currently treated in the field of education. The plurality of theoretical perspectives is one of the pillars of the editorial policy of Educação & Realidade, as evidenced by its history of leadership in proposing burning issues in education. The journal aims to serve as a central vehicle for not only the knowledge and research that are already consolidated, but also for innovative perspectives in terms of methodology and for texts that offer alternatives to established models in the area.
Its abbreviated title is Educ. Real. which should be used in bibliographies, footnotes and bibliographical references.
Scope and Policy
Educação & Realidade accepts for publication articles related to education, resulting from theoretical studies, research, reflections on concrete practices or polemical and up to date debates in the area. The text, in Portuguese, Spanish or English, must be unpublished. Research reports should be turned into texts for publication in a scientific journal, following the standards of Educação & Realidade.
The selection of articles for publication takes into consideration whether the text is a contribution to education within the limits of the editorial guidelines of the journal, the originality of the theme or the treatment of the subject, the consistency and accuracy of the theoretical approach as well as the general quality of the text. The review process of articles submitted to Educação & Realidade follows this process:
a) Analysis on the form: at this stage, articles are examined by at least two of the editors and are assessed for their compliance with the general criteria and the editorial line of Educação & Realidade. Papers are rejected if they: 1) are experience reports; 2) are configured solely as literature review; 3) are a part of a dissertation or thesis without proper adaptation; 4) are a project or research report; 5) do not present a sufficiently thorough analysis of the issue which is presented in the paper; 6) do not have theoretical or methodological consistency; 7) do not have the field of education as a central axis of the discussion; 8) have grammatical errors or problems in the structure of the text; 9) are merely descriptive and do not present an analysis of the issues being presented; 10) do not have the form of a scientific article; 11) do not meet standards of Educação & Realidade for article submissions (formatting, citations, references...); 12) do not show results, formulations or conclusions that represents improvements to the present knowledge in the area of the paper; 13) do not present empirical evidence or sufficiently developed arguments that support the conclusions. The papers that do not fall into any of the above categories will be considered for the next phase.
b) Peer Review – merit-based: in this second phase, the Editors of Educação & Realidade send the article, without identifying the author, to at least two expert referees (editorial board members or guests ad hoc). For the selection of referees and thematic areas the journal takes into account the CNPq areas and the set of accessible information on the platform LATTES. The referees can fully accept the article, request reformulations or reject the article. These decisions are always documented with a written review. When the two referees refuse the text, it is returned to the author. When the two referees accept the text, it goes to the next phase. Finally, when one or two referees request reformulations, the text is returned to the author, requesting that he/she consider the opinions and reformulate the article within thirty days. When the author returns the reformulated text, according to the suggestions of the referees, it is reassessed and proceeds to the final stage.
c) Proofreading and adaptation of the paper to the norms of Educação & Realidade: once accepted for publication, the paper is subjected to language review and standardization. The article is sent to the author with suggestions for corrections and adjustments, before it is sent by the editors for publication. In order to ensure visibility and international access to the published texts, the inclusion of an English version of the article accepted for publication, to be provided and paid for by the authors after final acceptance, is mandatory.
Articles accepted for publication become property of the journal.
The Journal adopts iThenticate system for plagiarism identification.
Form and preparation of manuscripts
1. Manuscripts must be submitted through the journal's website (http://seer.ufrgs.br/educacaoerealidade/about/submissions). It is required that the texts are justified, typed in 1.5 spacing, font Times New Roman, size 12. Quotations of more than three lines should always come in a new paragraph, in size 10, and indented without quotes.
2. We request that the name of the authors do not appear in the article. We ask that authors remove passages that undermine anonymity in the evaluation.
3. All data identifying the authors should be typed directly into the appropriate fields of the registration page in the submission system, including full name, postal address , phone and email contact, with a brief description of the curriculum (a maximum of three lines) and institutional affiliation. This information should not be included in the Word file (or compatible) sent by the system.
4. Texts must be saved in Word (or compatible software). Highlights that may be necessary should be done in italics.
5. Articles should have between 35,000 and 60,000 characters (including spaces), formatted for A4 paper, including references, notes, and tables. Must be accompanied by a cover sheet with an abstract in Portuguese and in English (between 550 and 750 characters, including spaces) and keywords (maximum 5) in Portuguese and English. Titles should be at most 75 characters, including spaces, and must also be translated into English. The cover sheet can not contain any identification of the authors.
6. Some items to note in the typing of texts: quotation marks only for direct quotations in the text, italics for words with non-standard employment and foreign words, neologisms and titles of articles and publications.
7. Citations should be in the form Author's surname, year or Author's surname, year, p. xx). Different titles by the same author, published in the same year should be distinguished by adding a letter after the date (Author's surname, anoa, p. Xx).
8. The references must contain only the authors and the texts cited in the paper and be presented at the end of the text, in alphabetical order, following the rules of ABNT (available in http://www.ufrgs.br/edu_realidade/referencias-er.htm). When applicable, always indicate the name of the translator after the title of the book or article. Below are some examples of how to proceed:
Chapters in books:
Theses and dissertations:
9. We request that the above rules are carefully followed, otherwise the texts will not be considered for evaluation.
Information on subscription of the printed version of Educação & Realidade are available at: http://www.ufrgs.br/edu_reality/assinaturas.html
Or they should be requested by email: firstname.lastname@example.org
The online journal is free and open access.